U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 AM

30,529 posts, read 9,129,121 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of healthful foods to be had, and a lot cheaper than the prepared variety.

As for the blueberries, you'd be better off getting the frozen variety--cheaper, and frozen at their peak of nutritional value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:34 PM

1,937 posts, read 1,163,914 times
Another thing to consider is that poor people may not have an oven or stove to cook their rice and beans on, or enough money to fill the propane tanks or pay the gas bill. Buying processed food or take out may be the only option, as sad as that is.

There are all levels of being low income and actual poverty, and thus there are all different abilities (or lack of ability) to buy healthy food.

People should make an effort though.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,745,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I have a friend who is very, very poor, and I keep telling her all she needs is milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes and bread and she can eat boringly but reasonably well for a week for around $7 - $10.

Falls on deaf ears of course. Drive thru is easier.
Have you actually walked into a store with only $10 and bought enough of each of those items to last a week and the tried to live on them? And then done that for months and years on end?

estimated prices..

Milk $3/gallon
Eggs $1.50/dozen
cheese $7/lb or more
Potatoes $5/5lb bag
Bread $3 loaf unless you buy the cheap unhealthy white which is around $1

That makes closer to $20/week if this is the only thing a person buys for food for the week. And this is not a healthy diet long term either. It is very hard to eat healthy when o a low income. Access to farmers markets and having freezer space can be very helpful You can get a bushel of veggies for about $10 or less and just freeze what you can't eat fresh before it will spoil. You can freeze pretty much anything without very much prep. It will be fine to eat for 6 months.

Eggs are a great choice for inexpensive protein. I would add dried beans, peas and lentils. Very cheap, healthy and adds protein. Skip the milk, most adults don't need it. Do splurge a little on good cheese and yogurt if you can. Instead of pasta stock up on brown rice and barley which are cheap and nutritious. Large bags of frozen broccoli cuts are cheap and good to buy and healthy to add to soups and stir frys if your farmers market supply is not there.

I do agree that dollar menu dining is not the best choice. But often those who are financially bad off are also depressed and over worked and just don't have the time or energy to cook real food at the end of their day.

If the price of the fruit out of season is higher than you want to pay the just skip it and buy what is in season. Right now it is oranges. Strawberries are just coming in and blueberries should be in soon. I don't much bother with the organic produce. Keep in mind that growing organically costs more and produces less high quality produce so it is naturally going to cost a lot more.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I have a friend who is very, very poor, and I keep telling her all she needs is milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes and bread and she can eat boringly but reasonably well for a week for around $7 - $10.

Falls on deaf ears of course. Drive thru is easier.
And that diet you suggest contains no fruits, no vegetables (and therefore no very important vitamins), very little fiber - depending on how much is in the bread. And a high protein diet (milk, eggs, cheese) can be very hard on the body.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,308,009 times
Blueberries tend to be more expensive fruit. If one wants berries strawberries seem to be cheaper. Regardless OP having lived in South CA I felt produce prices were very high compared to other states. I often would go to Trader Joes because it was less expensive.
If someone is on a budget they can still have healthy produce but may have to pick less expensive types or frozen. It may not have the exact nutrients but still can allow you to have a healthy diet.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,343,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Maybe organic is over-rated for health. Before about a hundred years ago, all our ancestors ate organic and free-range foods, and got plenty of exercise in their daily lives for the most part. Yet we live longer and healthier lives each generation. Go figure.
Technology and improvements in healthcare (diagnoses and treatments [pharmeceuticals]) have contributed to longevity. Also, technology has replaced man with machines in many trades where people would either be maimed or killed.

Last edited by Naturen; 04-13-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,227,466 times
I use a lot of frozen berries, mango, peas and corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink