U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,922,123 times

Advertisements

Yes, just a few weeks ago. I had three eggs with blood spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Bad eggs?

Over a half century ago, "summer people" would come up to the lake for the summer. Dad would be there on weekends. Most families had just one car and Dad had the car at work. My future brother-in-law did deliveries from the general store. The store had one truck for groceries, lumber, fuel, firewood and dynamite. I said it was over a half century ago, but I digress.

The one ton International didn't seem to have springs. It felt like it had iron bars instead and camp roads are rough with stumps and rocks to go over. Ray arrived at a camp with the International and a lady met him on the porch with her arms crossed.

"Young man; The last two times you brought groceries some of the eggs were broken. They were on the bottom of the bag!. Ray looked at the International truck. He said, "Leddy; We put them eggs on the bottom so's when they break they won't run down over the rest of your groceries."

The stuff we are reminded of on City-Data.com.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Those are fresh eggs.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Growing up, we always had chickens and fresh, fertilized eggs. Yes, we had eggs with blood spots. I don't remember ever seeing an actual chickie fetus, but blood spots are a little disturbing.

Never had the misfortune to break open a bad egg, though. Yuck.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
That's not an egg that's gone bad. It's fine. The following link explains what blood spots are caused by.
https://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-fa.../b/blood-spots

Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM

41 posts, read 31,434 times
gosh, us city folk!

eggs are possibly my favorite food, i love them cooked most any and every way. even fried until rubbery, brown and crispy, i'll eat them, sometimes i cook them this way on purpose.

a few years ago i bought a dozen eggs from a farmer's market....nearly every egg had a blood spot in it. it turned me off so bad i've never bought eggs from a farmer's market again. i had to really fight against it turning me off eggs for good.

good to know there's nothing wrong with them....maybe i'll give the farmer's market eggs another go sometime.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Actually I find that most supermarket eggs are "not nice" in that they are tasteless and watery-tasting..

When I was younger and had free-range chickens, sometimes we'd miscalculate and end up cracking open either rotten eggs, or fertilised ones that had little chicken fetuses in them. That was always distressing.
Agree on supermarket eggs. They are tasteless.

We had chickens when I was a kid, but no rooster. So no fetuses (feti?). We did have to supplement calcium when we started getting eggs with leathery shells.

Never had a bad egg.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times
Out of curiosity, 3 ways to tell if an egg is bad:

3 Ways to Tell if an Egg is Bad - wikiHow

And of course the tried and true method: the egg smells rotten and/or is unnaturally colored.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 PM

2,537 posts, read 850,322 times
I'm sure your question is meant to be funny, because you must know that the private label at Walgreens is called "Nice". But no, I've never bought bad eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink