U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:35 AM

30,388 posts, read 9,081,069 times

Advertisements

Sorry (not really), but I don't want the "rest of the eggs becoming a sauce for the curds." I like my scrambled eggs dry, like bullets, so that's how I make them. Like many people, I'm fussy about eggs, which is why I never order them out.

And if Chef whats-his-name doesn't like it, tough buns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Scrambling some eggs for breakfast? Be warned: They're "one of the most overcooked dishes in America," food writer Michael Ruhlman tells NPR. "We kill our eggs with heat." What we should really be doing, he says, is cooking them "very slowly over very gentle heat." That way, "the curds form," and "the rest of the egg sort of warms but doesn't fully cook and becomes a sauce for the curds.

Think You Know How To Cook Eggs? Chances Are You're Doing It Wrong : The Salt : NPR
I happen to agree about how to cook them, but I also realize articles like this are simply a matter of opinion.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:37 AM

30,388 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Sorry (not really), but I don't want the "rest of the eggs becoming a sauce for the curds." I like my scrambled eggs dry, like bullets, so that's how I make them. Like many people, I'm fussy about eggs, which is why I never order them out.

And if Chef whats-his-name doesn't like it, tough buns.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:37 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,872,935 times
I would never eat an egg straight up like that. I rarely even have them in the house. They're gross.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
As JustJulia mentioned, no snotty eggs for me. I prepare my eggs fully cooked and when I eat out, if the eggs are not prepared correctly, they go back. However, it can be challenging when I eat omelettes at restaurants.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What we should really be doing, he says, is cooking them "very slowly over very gentle heat." That way, "the curds form," and "the rest of the egg sort of warms but doesn't fully cook and becomes a sauce for the curds.
My grandfather used to cook eggs this way but us grandkids always hated how runny they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
If you add just a few small bits of cream cheese your scrambled eggs will stay wonderfully creamy.
We put creme fraiche in ours. Delicious!

Last edited by renault; 04-13-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 01:44 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
I like runny yolks. Runny whites....not so much.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Default Quite right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think someone probably just found eggs in the nest. Then got curious and tried - first raw, then cooked.

Later on discovered how to get a steady supply of this delicacy
When and why did humans begin consuming eggs?

Humans have been consuming eggs since the dawn of human time. The history is complicated and diverse; the culinary applications are innumerable. When, where, and why have people been eating eggs?

The Food Timeline: history notes--eggs

Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Fully cooked eggs here as well.

"Wrong"? I don't think so. I cook them how I like them...which makes it...."right"!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM

22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I like to cook mine over a medium-low heat, covered. They are moist but not soupy, fluffy but not dry, custard-like but with distinct, delicious curds Never brown on the bottom.
Sometimes I will add half&half. Pinch of salt when ready.
Soft-boiled eggs are one of my very favorite breakfasts - 3 min in boiling water. They are partly set, soft white and a runny yolk.
I do eat RAW eggs too, never had any problem.
That's how I like my scrambled eggs--moist, with custard like curds. I don't care for wet and runny or rubbery and brown(ed).

A few days ago, my son cooked breakfast for me. He served chewy, mainebrokerman approved bacon, overcooked scrambled eggs, and barely toasted toast. He cooked, served and washed the dishes. It was the best meal I've eaten in weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink