U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times

Advertisements

Only in America will you find a "Chinese Restaurant" owned by a Norwegian, with the cooking done by a French chef using a Polish cook book.

At least that has been my opinion of every "Chinese Restaurant" I ever been in in the USA.

Sort of like they look at a picture and try to guess the ingredients.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What I don't understand is why people would have a problem with this.

What does it matter if Happy Wok or wherever "isn't authentic," as long as the food it serves is good? I have a hard time believing anybody would expect it to be authentic.
There should be no problem except some of us expect Chinese food to be Chinese Food, Italian Food to be Italian food etc.

Perhaps a better choice would be to start calling it "Chinese inspired" Italian Inspired" "Greek Inspired" to satisfy us old grouches that actually want the Authenticate on Occasion.

Follow suit of the Pizza Joints. They no longer call them "Italian Pizzas" for the most part. Now you see things like "New York Style Pizza" When I go into a Pizza joint I am not expecting Italian food. I know what to expect.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What I don't understand is why people would have a problem with this.

What does it matter if Happy Wok or wherever "isn't authentic," as long as the food it serves is good? I have a hard time believing anybody would expect it to be authentic.
I get extremely bothered when American restaurants advertise their food as being authentic when it is not. Or when they advertise some type of regional cuisine when it is not specific to that region. A prime example would be the dozens of Cuban restaurants in Florida that have signs outside saying "Authentic SPANISH Food!". It is so bothersome to the exotic eater like myself.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:50 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,766,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

... Only in America will you find a "Chinese Restaurant" owned by a Norwegian, with the cooking done by a French chef using a Polish cook book.
In the big cities, like NYC, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami and Philly you will see most Chinese restaurants are owned and staffed by real Chinese people. That doesn't mean the cuisine is "authentic."

In the "Cantonese Style" restaurant I took my out-of-town guests, David's Mai Lai Wah, most of the dishes are your typical General Tso's Chicken, Twice-Cooked Pork, Egg Foo Young, Shrimp In Lobster Sauce, Roast Pork Lo Mein, Buddha's Delight, etc. However, you will see Chinese people eating in there as well. The Chinese are handed a different menu - in Chinese - and it's interesting to see the dishes they are eating: more green vegetables, no fried rice, steamed buns in bamboo baskets, much more fish, plates of little black clams, things in black bean sauce, etc.

Has anyone ever tried a Saturday or Sunday morning Dim Sum brunch where little old Chinese ladies wheel around carts of dumplings, steamed buns, and various small plates of things like braised duck's feet and jellyfish? They call out the dishes they are carrying, and you will be likely sitting in a big round banquet table with other people. It's wonderful.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In the big cities, like NYC, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami and Philly you will see most Chinese restaurants are owned and staffed by real Chinese people. That doesn't mean the cuisine is "authentic."

In the "Cantonese Style" restaurant I took my out-of-town guests, David's Mai Lai Wah, most of the dishes are your typical General Tso's Chicken, Twice-Cooked Pork, Egg Foo Young, Shrimp In Lobster Sauce, Roast Pork Lo Mein, Buddha's Delight, etc. However, you will see Chinese people eating in there as well. The Chinese are handed a different menu - in Chinese - and it's interesting to see the dishes they are eating: more green vegetables, no fried rice, steamed buns in bamboo baskets, much more fish, plates of little black clams, things in black bean sauce, etc.

Has anyone ever tried a Saturday or Sunday morning Dim Sum brunch where little old Chinese ladies wheel around carts of dumplings, steamed buns, and various small plates of things like braised duck's feet and jellyfish? They call out the dishes they are carrying, and you will be likely sitting in a big round banquet table with other people. It's wonderful.
More times than I can count. And we always get the jellyfish and chicken feet. I have only found duck feet at one restaurant and it was in Philadelphia. I didn't like it as much as the chicken feet.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Up where I live with it's large German population, it is even hard to find Authenticate German food.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:30 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Yes food changes when it gets here life gets better

Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
I don't know... let's just say that American Chinese is more suited for the (non ethnic Chinese) American palate.
In my town there is a range of "Chinese" food. Some I like much more than some other.

My point was, a whole new cuisine was developed. I think that's pretty cool. Even though I might not like a lot of the presentation, at its best (as in, there's a real chef in the restaurant) it's both distinct and very good.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM

12,648 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I get extremely bothered when American restaurants advertise their food as being authentic when it is not. Or when they advertise some type of regional cuisine when it is not specific to that region. A prime example would be the dozens of Cuban restaurants in Florida that have signs outside saying "Authentic SPANISH Food!". It is so bothersome to the exotic eater like myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There should be no problem except some of us expect Chinese food to be Chinese Food, Italian Food to be Italian food etc.

Perhaps a better choice would be to start calling it "Chinese inspired" Italian Inspired" "Greek Inspired" to satisfy us old grouches that actually want the Authenticate on Occasion.

Follow suit of the Pizza Joints. They no longer call them "Italian Pizzas" for the most part. Now you see things like "New York Style Pizza" When I go into a Pizza joint I am not expecting Italian food. I know what to expect.
I can agree with this. I am not criticizing because the American influence of the food, my critique comes because a place advertises something "authentic" (or implies it is), yet it is not. I am big on Greek and Turkish food, yet find difficulty in finding a place that actually serves this stuff as it is suppose to be; some places are so far off the mark it is not even funny.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
They should call it "Chinamerican" or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or