U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I always read growing up that chop suey was purely American, invented by Chinese-Americans during the building of the Transcontinental Railroad...but stuff I've read since then notes that it's pretty closely related to cooked up leftovers prepared in parts of China. Who knows?

You kind of have to figure that most commercially prepared ethnically-inspired cuisine in other countries is not going to be the same as traditional dishes prepared by families at home in those countries. I've yet to eat "American" food in foreign countries that tastes like/is prepared as it is by my mom at home in the Midwest, myself.
Oh, I don't know....I've been to some Russian restaurants here where the food is EXACTLY like babushka used to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, 'choi' means 'leafy green'? As in Bok Choi?
(Love that, too)
In Cantonese, choy/choi refers to a vegetable - so you are correct

Old 04-13-2014, 05:53 PM

So, ong is water, as in ong choi? What is bok?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times
Ong is hollow.

Bok is white.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, I don't know....I've been to some Russian restaurants here where the food is EXACTLY like babushka used to make.
Yeah, but are they small, family-owned, or generic buffets or chains?

The kind of "Chinese restaurants" that are the most full of ultra Americanized cuisine are usually the generic, seen-one-you've-seen-'em-all buffets with the same handful of dishes...your sweet and sour chicken, your General Tso's, etc., or PF Chang's, Panda Express, etc., with similar. In places like this, which cater to western tastebuds, you're gonna get more westernized presentation and taste.

On the other hand, if you go to, say, a legit dim sum place in a city that has a functioning Chinatown, you might actually get food fairly similar to something that you could run some sort of likelihood of being served in Asia.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM

164 posts, read 151,530 times
Lol. When I was a wee little girl, a neighbor told me she loved Chinese food. So I invited her over for dinner and it turned out that dinner was stirred fried zucchini with chicken chunks over white rice. No spring rolls? No Chow mein? No greasy fried rice with a lot of soy sauce? No orange chicken? She didn't like it very much and I was slightly offended.

Unless I'm really hurting for food and there's nothing for miles, I would not grab grubs from anywhere that say Hong Kong or China Express.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:09 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I would. I think generic "Chinese" takeout is more often than not perfectly delicious (and the more vegetables the better whether they are vegetables largely available in Asia or not!). But I'm also not sitting there thinking "Man, I'm totally eating exactly like I would be as a native of Guangdong province!" LOL.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Ong is hollow.

Bok is white.
Cool! Thank you.
It never hurts to learn.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, but are they small, family-owned, or generic buffets or chains?

The kind of "Chinese restaurants" that are the most full of ultra Americanized cuisine are usually the generic, seen-one-you've-seen-'em-all buffets with the same handful of dishes...your sweet and sour chicken, your General Tso's, etc., or PF Chang's, Panda Express, etc., with similar. In places like this, which cater to western tastebuds, you're gonna get more westernized presentation and taste.

On the other hand, if you go to, say, a legit dim sum place in a city that has a functioning Chinatown, you might actually get food fairly similar to something that you could run some sort of likelihood of being served in Asia.
Mostly small and family-owned. However, even the bigger ones aren't chains.

We have a large and vibrant Chinatown, where a lot of the food is pretty authentic. Most people don't order it, however. The Chinese do.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 PM

11,414 posts, read 13,961,436 times
Having visited Hong Kong, Beijing and Guangzhou numerous times, there are some "authentic" Chinese restaurants here in California and I am sure, other US states. A lot of the stuff you get here in San Francisco is "Americanized", but it is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or