U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,908,723 times

Advertisements

I found some, local, naturally-raised, grass-fed -- for $1.50 a pound. Bought some, tasted them, plan to buy a lot more for the freezer. Such a bargain!

Anybody have cooking suggestions? I just cut them in half, fried them, then sliced thin. I imagine a stew would work well, too. What else?

(For those who wonder, hearts are muscle, too, and these ones taste like a combination of lamb and strong beef.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 PM

22,725 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I found some, local, naturally-raised, grass-fed -- for $1.50 a pound. Bought some, tasted them, plan to buy a lot more for the freezer. Such a bargain!

Anybody have cooking suggestions? I just cut them in half, fried them, then sliced thin. I imagine a stew would work well, too. What else?

(For those who wonder, hearts are muscle, too, and these ones taste like a combination of lamb and strong beef.)
I don't know; I never prepared them. I would think that something in a pressure cooker or crockpot might be in order since they might otherwise be a bit tough. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,527,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I like to eat chicken hearts and giblets. I simmer them for hours with some broth or water, onions, garlic and rosemary. Delicious, but the price of giblets and hearts has skyrocketed. I would imagine that would work for lamb, if you dice the hearts small.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,189,403 times
i use to slice up alot of beef and veal hearts...

cant remember lamb,,,but its got to be close to deer hearts and ive pulled many of those out and cooked them..

like many organ meats or offals, it does tend to have a strong flavor,,,
so many folks may brine it a bit to subdue the strong taste

some will cook these hearts all day in a crock pot,,
personally, i like them friend in oil....

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 AM

33,604 posts, read 51,826,099 times
I buy them at a local ethnic store ($3.99/lb) and think they are quite tasty. Doesn't need long cooking. In fact the longer you cook the rubbery it gets. Taste best medium to medium rare.
They are rich in protein and essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin B-12, iron, copper, selenium, zinc and riboflavin.
NOTE: high in saturated fat and cholesterol, so don't eat it too often.

Make sure you prepare them right: first trim off the layer of fat around each heart. Use a sharp knife or small pair of kitchen scissors, and take off as much fat as you can without cutting them to shreds. Then remove any tubes, arteries and other unpleasant-looking bits and pieces. (You can ask your butcher to do it for you)
After that you have a great looking piece of muscle that you can prepare in many ways.

You can:
- slice and sear on a pan like a steak (add garlic or rosemary, or whatever is your fav seasoning)
- cube and make a stew in a slow cooker
- cut the lamb hearts into strips and saute them with onions, mushrooms, and red wine
- stuff them with stuffing similar to your turkey stuffing, add onions and mushrooms
- stuff and wrap with bacon, slow braise, then slice when ready, and serve with gravy

Google and find recipes online;
Here is a nice tutorial:
Lamb Heart Recipes | ifood.tv

Enjoy!!

Next try lamb or veal tongue!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,777,511 times
My favorite way to prepare them is seasoned with Turmeric, Salt, Garlic, Cumin, Smoked Paprika and Cumin. Then put on skewers and cooked over a charcoal grill.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,908,723 times
Wow, thank you, everyone! So many tasty things to try .

Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,608,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
- stuff them with stuffing similar to your turkey stuffing ...
... tie them with kitchen string to keep the stuffing packed in and pop them into a pot with a rich stock and root veggies. Simmer until tender. Beef hearts are delicious too done in the same way.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM

21,010 posts, read 25,794,422 times
With the beef hearts, you can grind them, mix them with a bit of regular burger, and they make the best chili, ever. So, I suspect that if you grind the lamb hearts, mix them with a dab of ground lamb, you could make a killer gyros or those lamb meatball thingies.

The ground heart has an excellent texture that holds up to long cooking, and it cuts down the fat % in the ground meat.

I don't remember ever seeing lamb hearts in the market. If you ever see lamb tongues, jump on it. Simmer until tender, cool, slice micro-thin and serve with a sauce of olive oil, herbs, garlic.

Come to think of it, it has been years since I saw beef heart in the market.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
^^^

There for a while, I was seeing beef hearts for $0.99/lb. One of my friends started playing around with various recipes, all of which were pretty good IMO.

Beef hearts is a specialty item that few if any supermarkets carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink