U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM

774 posts, read 701,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here are some news about pancake syrup you might want to know:
Pancake Syrup | Caramel Color - Consumer Reports
Vermont Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Compare also the average 30-40 units mel4 in syrups...

with one hundred seventy-freaking-four units in regular normal Pepsi.

Then compare how often pepsi drinkers drink pepsi, with how often pancake eaters eat pancakes.

I'm thinking syrup is barely a blip on the radar, in comparison.

I also hope our life insurance company doesn't suddenly start asking my husband how often he drinks pepsi. (answer: around 24 ounces every day, more on weekends)

Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,859,323 times
I very rarely use syrup, but when I do it has to be 100% real maple syrup. I would NEVER use the sugary, maple flavored fake stuff, ever.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM

18,014 posts, read 17,167,297 times
I would never use anything except genuine maple syrup. There is nothing else like it. You can get the lower grades and they're a little bit cheaper and maybe even better than the grade A.

This year's syrup batch is out--they've just had sugaring season so it's time to go to a farm that has it for sale. That's one of the good things about living in the northeast (don't ask about the weather here )

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM

5,137 posts, read 3,644,743 times
Only maple syrup (100%pure)

OR what we called "stuff" when our boys were little.

Stuff= If we had no maple syrup, I'd heat up a little butter (2 tbst), add a little milk 1-2 tbsp (canned gave it a nice flavor) and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Heat and stir for a while until it boiled up and got thick. (watch it doesn't burn) The boys loved it on pancakes or dipped their toast in a bowl of it.

Another favorite in lieu of maple syrup if we didn't have any: open a can of sweetened condensed milk. Delish on pancakes and toast.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,041,137 times
I'm not a fan of syrup. But if I was choosing what to use, it'd be a berry syrup.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,226,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Second, any child who consumes syrup daily has more profound health issues than a 1 in 100,000 shot at cancer.
True. We lived next to a couple that had custody of their grandson. He was allowed to eat Cocoa Puffs every day, for every meal. McDonald's chicken nuggets were considered "healthy" for him. That is all he ate, literally, for the first ten years of his life. He had to undergo two major dental surgeries by the time he was ten years old and his grandparents just shrugged it off. They thought it was strange that our children at fruits and vegetables even as toddlers. Kids eat what they are given and it would never occur to me to throw food I didn't want across the room as this boy did. I would not have been alive to even share this experience. ;-)

Granted, his risk of becoming a menace to society is probably greater than the cancer risk in eating syrup, too.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,524,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would never use anything except genuine maple syrup. There is nothing else like it. You can get the lower grades and they're a little bit cheaper and maybe even better than the grade A.

This year's syrup batch is out--they've just had sugaring season so it's time to go to a farm that has it for sale. That's one of the good things about living in the northeast (don't ask about the weather here )
Yep...time for sugaring-off.
Crepes, feves au lard, sausage, cretons, tourtiere, pea soup, roast potatoes, bacon and Christ's Ears, all eaten with strangers at community tables groaning with maple syrup and listening to fiddle music. Then horse-drawn carriage rides and hot maple syrup on snow.
Lots of fun.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-15-2014 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,143,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
...Granted, his risk of becoming a menace to society is probably greater than the cancer risk in eating syrup, too.
Gotta love the positive-minded saints in our society .

Cell mate: "Hey you!!! Why'd you get locked-up???
Kid: "Uh... Cocoa Puffs and chicken nuggets."
Cell Mate: "Aw man - you're one rough dude!!!!"

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,115,002 times
On the rare occasion we do pancakes and waffles for the masses (all the wife's friends and kids) its pure Quebec maple syrup all the way.
My Mom for some reason doesnt like syrup and instead drizzles sugar and lemon juice over her pancakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink