U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 AM

16,322 posts, read 12,623,562 times

Advertisements

I only use the good fake syrup. If there's none of that available (such as when dining out) then I settle for that pure stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,889,891 times
Fake maple syrup is a crime against food. Haven't touched the stuff in decades.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:31 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,561,938 times
I weaned myself off of that years ago. Now I prefer 100% Pure Maple Syrup or Pure Hickory Syrup which has a smokier taste and is not tapped from the tree but made from the bark.
http://www.wildwoodshickorysyrup.com

Others can always make their own fake stuff, even low sugar or sugar free..
Homemade Maple Syrup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,076,238 times
About 80 percent of the world's supply of maple syrup is produced in Ontario and Quebec.

It comes in a number of grades, based on it's colour and thickness. It take 10 GALLONS of maple tree sap to produce ONE gallon of finished maple syrup product. The sap is collected from the sugar maple trees by tapping them. The sap runs into either a tree mounted bucket, or more commonly now, it runs through a series of plastic lines, to a central "sugar shack " where the boiling down takes place.

Boiling is the method of reducing sap to pure maple syrup. It takes many hours, and lots of fire wood, to get that finished product. A "sugar bush " of maples is not an over night money maker, as most sugar maples don't even start to produce good sap until they are past 20 years of age. It is a spring ritual, as you need warm sunny days, with still cold nights ( well below the freezing point ) to get the sap running properly.

link to sugar maple harvesting photos.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canad...w=1108&bih=610

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,234,434 times
Trader Joe's sells the Grade A, Dark Amber variety.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM

828 posts, read 964,681 times
Know why kids eat this crap every day? It's because of the "OMG! EVERYTHING is going to KILL you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" people like the OP. Every time you turn around, there's yet another report of some food or food additive that has some tiny chance of causing some sort of health problem in a tiny segment of the population when people go well beyond the point of over indulgence, yet is presented in way that makes it look like it's the precursor to the next Bubonic Plague epidemic.

Eventually you get parents feeling overwhelmed, and they just say to heck with it...if everything I feed my child is eventually going to kill him/her, then I'm just going to make it easy and convienent on myself.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,191,052 times
There is nothing to fret about. Just keep your food real; avoid the man made stuff and the chinese imports which are grown in an unhealthy environment.

Last edited by Heidi60; 04-15-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM

11,122 posts, read 11,535,257 times
It is interesting to me that people think pancake syrup means Log Cabin or Maple. Widen your horizons, folks. I make blackberry syrup every year. I pick a couple hundred pounds of wild blackberries then run them through the juicer attachment for the Kitchen Aid, adjust the pH with ascorbic acid and citric acid, add sugar to taste and freeze. The flavor is fresh berries.

On French Toast my favorite topping is butter, a little fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar.

I don't think maple syrup is all that good. I have a bottle of the stuff in the fridge that has been there for six months and will probably be there until I throw it out.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 AM

10,453 posts, read 7,543,469 times
All artificial colors and flavors are horrible.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,561,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It is interesting to me that people think pancake syrup means Log Cabin or Maple. Widen your horizons, folks. I make blackberry syrup every year. I pick a couple hundred pounds of wild blackberries then run them through the juicer attachment for the Kitchen Aid, adjust the pH with ascorbic acid and citric acid, add sugar to taste and freeze. The flavor is fresh berries.

On French Toast my favorite topping is butter, a little fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar.

I don't think maple syrup is all that good. I have a bottle of the stuff in the fridge that has been there for six months and will probably be there until I throw it out.

You are right. I canned blueberry syrup last summer.

As for other toppings…I love chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream on waffles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink