U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:13 PM

9,870 posts, read 8,057,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Real maple syrup all the way!
I import it from Vermont to Denmark for my own use. I no longer eat American pancakes. I eat thin danish pan cakes, spread blueberry preserves over the top, add syrup and roll them up to eat.

Quite tasty.

I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes and yams with pure maple syrup to add a sweeter taste. My Yankee ways have not been killed off in Denmark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

31,279 posts, read 57,520,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It is interesting to me that people think pancake syrup means Log Cabin or Maple.
"Pancake syrup" is the widely used term for the various sugar syrups generally used with pancakes. Maple syrup is maple syrup, blackberry syrup is blackberry syrup, etc. It's interesting to me that you don't know that.

Quote:
Widen your horizons, folks.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,681,841 times
"Pancake syrup" is used for the artificial stuff- often HFCS-based syrup. I would never call a maple syrup "pancake syrup."

Sunny D isn't referred to as Orange juice either.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,926,143 times
Pancake syrup is poison to the body much as Pop Tarts or Oreos. Processed foods and sugar are worse for you than a McDonald's burger. Maple syrup doesn't have supercharged fructose corn syrup in it as it is a sugar unto itself. Log Cabin and Aunt Jemimah is crap with fake flavor.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM

759 posts, read 1,040,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I stopped using "pancake" syrup when I was a kid. I really only used it at all on rare occasions. I actually preferred my pancakes slathered with (real) butter, pick it up like a piece of toast, and eat it. Or when we went to IHOP, I got pigs in blankets and picked up the rolled pancake with the sausage inside and ate it that way.

These days I like it with either just butter, or with butter and maple syrup.

And if I had my own personal chef and personal fitness trainer (to help me work off the calories) I'd eat a scrambled egg (well done), 6 strips of bacon, and one big pancake every other morning, for the rest of my life.

On the alternate days I'd have a garlic bagel toasted with cream cheese, lox, capers, and raw red onions
AnonChick,
You and I should have breakfast sometime-Pigs in Blankets alternated with garlic bagels and lox are my favorites, too. Maybe I'll PM you if my wife...Wait, stop, honey, put down that knife, I was just foolin' around...

Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM

452 posts, read 544,657 times
I like Maple syrup myself. The only problem I have is finding really good maple syrup down here. (Maple syrup is extremely expensive here in Fl if you try to buy it at Whole Foods.)

When I apprenticed, my employer would bring me cases of real, golden maple syrup from Canada. It came in a 16 oz can with a plain white wrapper that said "Maple Syrup" and always Grade B. (Grade B, although darker, has a more heavy maple flavor and I quite found out by mistake that my Canadian Grade A wasn't quite as flavorful as the "B")

I can't find that same "non" brand (and I've now forgotten the name of the company it's been so long since I've seen it) but I've tried several syrups from Vermont and they're just not quite as good.

Grade B is also higher in minerals (maple has several minerals and traces of vitamins A B and C and something else I believe.)

My husband and I frequently have blueberry pancakes for supper...I cringe when I see him pour artificially colored and flavored corn syrup over my masterpieces! (He's better off just using Karo than all of those additives.)

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,566,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
I like Maple syrup myself. The only problem I have is finding really good maple syrup down here. (Maple syrup is extremely expensive here in Fl if you try to buy it at Whole Foods.)

When I apprenticed, my employer would bring me cases of real, golden maple syrup from Canada. It came in a 16 oz can with a plain white wrapper that said "Maple Syrup" and always Grade B. (Grade B, although darker, has a more heavy maple flavor and I quite found out by mistake that my Canadian Grade A wasn't quite as flavorful as the "B")

I can't find that same "non" brand (and I've now forgotten the name of the company it's been so long since I've seen it) but I've tried several syrups from Vermont and they're just not quite as good.

Grade B is also higher in minerals (maple has several minerals and traces of vitamins A B and C and something else I believe.)

My husband and I frequently have blueberry pancakes for supper...I cringe when I see him pour artificially colored and flavored corn syrup over my masterpieces! (He's better off just using Karo than all of those additives.)

They are not cheap but you can find some here:
Amazon.com: canadian maple syrup: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,568,224 times
A few weeks ago, I found 250 ml bottles of Les Petits Delices du Quebec, pure maple syrup with whole vanilla beans for 94 cents.
You can bet I stocked up.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post

King, Karo, and the rest are junk. I've been to maple syrup festivals and they were selling gallon jugs of the stuff for $25. I went to a pancake breakfast once and to my chagrin they were serving Log Cabin syrup. My gallon was in my car:confus ed:

Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,201,423 times
Put a jug of Log Cabin and a jug of 100% Maple in front of me and I'll grab the Log Cabin EVERY time . One of the few times my wife looks at me like I'm from another planet (Mars maybe ). However, I do use the 100% maple when I make Maple Caramelized Onions - yummmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink