U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM

33,578 posts, read 51,786,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
A few weeks ago, I found 250 ml bottles of Les Petits Delices du Quebec, pure maple syrup with whole vanilla beans for 94 cents.
You can bet I stocked up.
No wonder! You are at the source! Today, 75% of the world's Maple Syrup is produced in Quebec, Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Quote:
4-MeI—a potential carcinogen. This chemical has been shown to cause cancer in mice, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, says that it may cause cancer in people as well.
Meh ...... practically everything MAY cause cancer, even entirely natural substances.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No wonder! You are at the source! Today, 75% of the world's Maple Syrup is produced in Quebec, Canada
No, that's a really good liquidation price, even for here. I've seen similar small bottles of syrup with whole vanilla pods for about $10.
ETA...just found one online for $15.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-16-2014 at 02:28 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 AM

960 posts, read 1,328,843 times
A number of friends and co-workers do maple syrup. If you ever get a chance to visit a working sugar house, you definitely should go. You'll get a better appreciation for the foods you consume and the amount of work it takes to produce it. The smell is fantastic and doing a shot of warm maple syrup on a cold day is wonderful.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
A number of friends and co-workers do maple syrup. If you ever get a chance to visit a working sugar house, you definitely should go. You'll get a better appreciation for the foods you consume and the amount of work it takes to produce it. The smell is fantastic and doing a shot of warm maple syrup on a cold day is wonderful.

My neighbors just tapped their trees and made their own syrup a few weeks ago. I am going to help them next year and learn the process. I can't wait

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM

9 posts, read 11,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It is interesting to me that people think pancake syrup means Log Cabin or Maple. Widen your horizons, folks. I make blackberry syrup every year. I pick a couple hundred pounds of wild blackberries then run them through the juicer attachment for the Kitchen Aid, adjust the pH with ascorbic acid and citric acid, add sugar to taste and freeze. The flavor is fresh berries.

On French Toast my favorite topping is butter, a little fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar.

I don't think maple syrup is all that good. I have a bottle of the stuff in the fridge that has been there for six months and will probably be there until I throw it out.
That sounds absolutely delicious!! We used to do simular when I was a kid.

I make homemade pineapple syrup(making some today)...I make homemade dehydrated pineapple chunks with fresh pineapple, sprinkle some sugar on them to help pull the juices, drain well, squeeze a little extra juice out. Pineapple goes in dehydrator, and juice get cooked down to thicken it some. Sliced bananas and pineapple syrup, YUM!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM

11,051 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Pancake syrup is poison to the body much as Pop Tarts or Oreos. Processed foods and sugar are worse for you than a McDonald's burger. Maple syrup doesn't have supercharged fructose corn syrup in it as it is a sugar unto itself. Log Cabin and Aunt Jemimah is crap with fake flavor.
Judging from the flavor, maple syrup is a blend of fructose and sucrose. It's actually the sucrose that is bad for you. Fructose is not only sweeter, it doesn't cause the insulin spike that sucrose does.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,921,489 times
I haven't eaten "pancake syrup" in decades.

I only use real maple syrup, preferably made locally in my corner of NYS.

I have it maybe once every month or two.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,575,858 times
I do not get the appeal of Pancake Syrup. I like 100% Real Maple Syrup. Not this goop that they give that is made with maple flavoring and HFCS and sugar and other kinds of sugar. Just disgusting and too sickly sweet for me. Now I'm craving pancakes.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

828 posts, read 956,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I do not get the appeal of Pancake Syrup.

The appeal is actually quite simple - NOT watching my kids dump $20 worth of syrup on their morning Eggos because a 10 year old doesn't quite grasp the "less is more" concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink