U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,562,220 times

Advertisements

Maple-baked Salmon is to die for.
Holy cow, is it ever good!

Can't do it with fake syrup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,678,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
A few weeks ago, I found 250 ml bottles of Les Petits Delices du Quebec, pure maple syrup with whole vanilla beans for 94 cents.
You can bet I stocked up.
that sounds good!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,809,051 times
I apologize for not reading past the first 3 pages but I would like to know what you pay for pure maple syrup? I've found it incredibly expensive around here in N.C.
We do have pancakes or waffles almost every weekend and it seems like syrup is always on the shopping list. With a family of 4 or 6 who like smothered pancakes I would be spending a fortune if I bought the real stuff. But maybe I'll try it again with instructions not to use too much.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 AM

18,145 posts, read 17,281,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I apologize for not reading past the first 3 pages but I would like to know what you pay for pure maple syrup? I've found it incredibly expensive around here in N.C.
We do have pancakes or waffles almost every weekend and it seems like syrup is always on the shopping list. With a family of 4 or 6 who like smothered pancakes I would be spending a fortune if I bought the real stuff. But maybe I'll try it again with instructions not to use too much.
It is expensive even around here where they make it. I've started just putting it beside the pancakes so that I use less instead of pouring it on top and having it sink in. The price will vary depending upon what kind of a season they've had--or it did in the past at least.

I make sure I buy grade B or a darker amber which is better anyway and saves a little bit of money. I know that last container was about $13 for a quart of Grade A dark amber from Canada. (Canada, most of the US, and Vermont all have different grading systems--I get the cheapest real maple syrup, usually from Canada.) The darker shades come from the end of the season and they have a fuller taste and I think they actually contain more of the beneficial minerals--but it's just for an occasional treat anyway so I'm not that concerned about getting my daily amount of calcium or anything.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-18-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Is it a requirement that the grade be put right prominently on the package?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM

828 posts, read 965,521 times
Quote:

No. The problem/confusion here is that grade implies quality, but there is no difference in quality between the different grades. It's merely a different taste/consistency profile between Grade A and Grade B. B tends to a darker, richer flavor than A. Kind of like if we were to call white chicken meat Grade A and dark meat Grade B. You wouldn't necessarily be getting lower quality meat if you chose Grade B, but you would get a different flavor/texture.

EDIT: Or, a better analogy that just came to me - dark corn syrup vs light corn syrup. One could refer to light corn syrup as Grade A, and dark corn syrup as Grade B. Again, no real quality differences inherent between the two, but very different tastes.

That said, I believe at least on the USA side, the grading system either will be, or already has, changed to a system that's slightly more descriptive where just about everything you buy will be Grade A, with an addtional descriptor such as Golden, or Dark.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM

18,145 posts, read 17,281,367 times
Quote:
It probably is. It's been on all the maple syrup I've ever seen. It's not hidden in the fine print.

Look--a change in labeling for Vermont and a pictorial explanation of the types.

http://www.thekitchn.com/no-more-gra...abeling-196648

Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM

9,209 posts, read 10,191,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It is expensive even around here where they make it. I've started just putting it beside the pancakes so that I use less instead of pouring it on top and having it sink in. The price will vary depending upon what kind of a season they've had--or it did in the past at least.

I make sure I buy grade B or a darker amber which is better anyway and saves a little bit of money. I know that last container was about $13 for a quart of Grade A dark amber from Canada. (Canada, most of the US, and Vermont all have different grading systems--I get the cheapest real maple syrup, usually from Canada.) The darker shades come from the end of the season and they have a fuller taste and I think they actually contain more of the beneficial minerals--but it's just for an occasional treat anyway so I'm not that concerned about getting my daily amount of calcium or anything.
The law in Canada states that maple syrup must be at least 80% maple syrup; You may bet that little or none of it has more. New York must be 90%. However, Vermont requires that anything labeled maple syrup must be 100% maple syrup. If you wish to dilute the syrup do it yourself. Buy some Vermont Grade B. Add about 10% simple syrup to start, then work up from that point. Since simple syrup has what we might call the most neutral taste it furnishes a good starting point but don't be afraid to try other syrups as well, e.g., agave. Do, however, avoid adding any artificial maple syrup; it will ruin the taste.

You can buy simple syrup on amazon, but it's expensive. You can easily make your own. Just add two parts white sugar to one part boiling water and wait until it dissolves. Add simple syrup just before serving because it only lasts about a week if refrigerated.

Blending the syrup reduces the intensity of the maple taste; many people prefer it.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The law in Canada states that maple syrup must be at least 80% maple syrup; You may bet that little or none of it has more. New York must be 90%. However, Vermont requires that anything labeled maple syrup must be 100% maple syrup. If you wish to dilute the syrup do it yourself. Buy some Vermont Grade B. Add about 10% simple syrup to start, then work up from that point. Since simple syrup has what we might call the most neutral taste it furnishes a good starting point but don't be afraid to try other syrups as well, e.g., agave. Do, however, avoid adding any artificial maple syrup; it will ruin the taste.

You can buy simple syrup on amazon, but it's expensive. You can easily make your own. Just add two parts white sugar to one part boiling water and wait until it dissolves. Add simple syrup just before serving because it only lasts about a week if refrigerated.

Blending the syrup reduces the intensity of the maple taste; many people prefer it.
Wow- you and in new england and urbex have helped so much. Is there a preferred brand for true maple syrup lovers? I will get some from Amazon but there is a wide selection.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:34 PM

9,209 posts, read 10,191,240 times
Quote:
Wow- you and in new england and urbex have helped so much. Is there a preferred brand for true maple syrup lovers? I will get some from Amazon but there is a wide selection.
Here are two that I like very much. But it really comes down to personal taste. I do guarantee, however, that these two are the real thing. Try some straight; if you've never had Vermont Grade B you've never had maple syrup.

But be aware that it is potentially addictive.

Coombs Family Farms 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup, Grade B, 32-Ounce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Springs...nt+maple+syrup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink