U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Wow- you and in new england and urbex have helped so much. Is there a preferred brand for true maple syrup lovers? I will get some from Amazon but there is a wide selection.
Some people may have a preferred brand but I don't. I look for dark amber and price. I can't afford to be any fussier than that. There's at least one gourmet brand that some chefs rave over that is made mostly by hand, the old fashioned way, and from very old trees, with certain species of other trees nearby that are supposed to enhance the flavor because of something? that comes off their leaves, boiled over a wood fire, all organic and so on.

I would love to drive to a local sugar house where it's still done with buckets hanging from the trees and buy maple syrup from them. I would be supporting a local business and probably getting a slightly better product. I just can't afford to do it.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,969,097 times
I will go with any syrup that is NOT watery.

I on some occasions will fix myself a 2-2-2 breakfast.

2 small pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage links or 2 bacon slices. (2 slices of toast is an option)

I can cut down on the syrup by dipping the pancakes into the egg yolk (fried over easy/sunny side up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM

36,435 posts, read 41,675,230 times
you mean there are people who actually eat ONLY 2 pieces of bacon? Interesting...

Old 04-18-2014, 02:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The law in Canada states that maple syrup must be at least 80% maple syrup; You may bet that little or none of it has more. New York must be 90%. However, Vermont requires that anything labeled maple syrup must be 100% maple syrup. If you wish to dilute the syrup do it yourself. Buy some Vermont Grade B. Add about 10% simple syrup to start, then work up from that point. Since simple syrup has what we might call the most neutral taste it furnishes a good starting point but don't be afraid to try other syrups as well, e.g., agave. Do, however, avoid adding any artificial maple syrup; it will ruin the taste.

You can buy simple syrup on amazon, but it's expensive. You can easily make your own. Just add two parts white sugar to one part boiling water and wait until it dissolves. Add simple syrup just before serving because it only lasts about a week if refrigerated.

Blending the syrup reduces the intensity of the maple taste; many people prefer it.
The syrup I usually get is labeled "Product of Canada." I'm okay with it being only 80% pure maple, if the other 20% is simple syrup. I'd definitely know if it was adulterated with artificial stuff - grew up on the fake stuff and can tell the difference just by the smell alone, then the consistency before I ever bring a drop to my lips.

We have sugar shacks around here but I haven't visited any yet. I plan on it this year though. I have purchased CT. Maple, but that was a long time ago, in a tiny quantity (I think it was 2 ounces) at an agricultural fair.

When I buy maple sugar candy, I make sure it's either made in Connecticut (from one of the local sugar shacks) or Vermont. That stuff is awesome. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,969,097 times
Two slices of bacon is enough when trying to keep a persons weight down.

I generally cook up a whole lb of bacon (75%) and then micro a few secs to finish cooking them when removed from the freezer. That is where the 2-2-2 gets finished for a light breakfast.

Made up a batch of French toast this AM....same goes there with 2 slices (micro heated), two eggs and the bacon or brown and serve sausage links....cannot forget my 2 cups of coffee.

When you are by your lonesome self it is difficult to cook small meals so like yesterday made a large pot of pork stew with added veggies and cubed potatos to last me three meals. Will have a small helping tonight and freeze the remainder for another future nights meal. I do what I have too.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
Speaking of maple syrup, I was out all day with dh and he went into a Big Lots type of store and came out with a quart of real maple syrup, dark amber from Canada for $11.00!!!!!! That was unusual.

What's even more strange is that he had no idea I had just been discussing maple syrup on here. He must just have noticed that we were running out. Now for some pancakes!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 AM

17,168 posts, read 22,199,672 times
canada makes more maple syrup than anywhere else..(vermont is the top producer in the u.s.
the indians of north america, was the first to start making syrup- collect the sap and throw in hot rocks to boil it down- and they showed the european settlers how to make it

growing up, there was always someone making it in the neighborhood, and us kids would help collecting the sap...
she(a neighbor) would reward us with maple syrup on ice cream mmmmmm ...... she made her own ice cream too, from some old crank type ice cream maker-

Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,818,327 times
I wonder if there's some way a diabetic could justify ordering up a quart of maple syrup.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 AM

33,159 posts, read 39,134,921 times
I usually go with this one.

Interesting history on the product
Maple syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2014, 02:25 AM

16,318 posts, read 12,594,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wonder if there's some way a diabetic could justify ordering up a quart of maple syrup.

Hi, woof!

There are plenty of substitutes available for us diabetics.

Your local grocery store may have one in stock...mine does. They're not the same as that pure maple syrup, no...but they are awesome for allowing us to chow down on pancakes as a treat once in a while.

And yes I am fully aware of the carbs in the pancakes, peanut gallery.

https://www.google.com/search?q=city...en-US:official
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink