U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,978,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Soft drinks, Oreos, Pop Tarts, and Frito Lay will kill you faster than McDonald's.
To be fair, no one so far in this thread advocated eating piles of junk food. Your above choices are laden with refined sugar & not just the most unhealthy, unnatural fats. Whole food, including healthy animal/plant fats are important to the diet. No one suffers ill health or obesity on sensible portions of good, wholesome food. That doesn't includes boxed/canned/processed junk, candy & snack foods, such as those you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM

686 posts, read 938,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
ummmm no.
Why is that? There is nothing at all healthy about saving and re-using fat. Sure it may taste good but some of us care more for our health (and living long enough to see kids and grandkids) and know better than to eat beef fat.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,356,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Why is that? There is nothing at all healthy about saving and re-using fat. Sure it may taste good but some of us care more for our health (and living long enough to see kids and grandkids) and know better than to eat beef fat.
Please explain exactly how animal fat is bad for you...

Exactly how does your body metabolize fat that makes it "unhealthy".

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Please explain exactly how animal fat is bad for you...

Exactly how does your body metabolize fat that makes it "unhealthy".
Its fat. FAT!! Also known as GREASE!!! Please explain to me how this is GOOD for you. No sensible person who is concerned about healthy eating and taking care of their health/heart will think of ideas and new ways of using/eating FAT.

That is why I (and a few others here) say throw it out. If you are not into healthy eating then have at it hoss, but do understand that it is not good for you. Google it if you don't believe me (us).

Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,126,543 times
Quote:
Its fat. FAT!! Also known as GREASE!!! Please explain to me how this is GOOD for you. No sensible person who is concerned about healthy eating and taking care of their health/heart will think of ideas and new ways of using/eating FAT.

That is why I (and a few others here) say throw it out. If you are not into healthy eating then have at it hoss, but do understand that it is not good for you. Google it if you don't believe me (us).
Who says eating fat is bad for you? Your body needs fat just like it needs protein (carbs are optional). It's all a matter of balance. Somehow in the 80's, some study correlated eating fat with heart disease and the media was all over it like ants on a cheeto. New studies are saying that may have been all wrong.

We ate lots of fat growing up in the 60's and 70's and none of us were overweight, have high cholesterol or heart disease. Oddly enough, the fattest I ever got in my life was eating a low fat, high carbohydrate diet.

I'm not advocating eating LOTS of fat, everything in moderation. If you choose not to eat fat for your health, that's your prerogative, but not all of us feel that way.

As a side note, this thread is about how to USE the beef fat. If you don't believe in it, feel free not to participate, or better yet, go start a thread in the Health and Wellness Forum about the dangers of eating fat.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

As a side note, this thread is about how to USE the beef fat. If you don't believe in it, feel free not to participate, or better yet, go start a thread in the Health and Wellness Forum about the dangers of eating fat.
Oh Im sorry. Didn't know you own this thread. Im going to stick around anyway though. You asked a question and I (and a few others) gave the answer of THROW THAT JUNK AWAY!! It isn't good for you. You know, sometimes when we post questions online, we have to be prepared to read answers that we may not agree with. This is okay because often times we come away learning things that we didn't know before.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...0a4_story.html

Last edited by Chum Kiu; 04-16-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,126,543 times
Quote:
Oh Im sorry. Didn't know you own this thread. Im going to stick around anyway though. You asked a question and I (and a few others) gave the answer of THROW THAT JUNK AWAY!! It isn't good for you. You know, sometimes when we post questions online, we have to be prepared to read answers that we may not agree with. This is okay because often times we come away learning things that we didn't know before.

Fat and cholesterol aren’t only heart dangers of red meat - The Washington Post
Yes, but that is your opinion, not fact, and I don't agree with it, so I guess at this point we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,230,150 times
Quote:

Has any expert suggested a zero-fat diet? I don't think so.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Yes....as I suspected...you dodged the question.

How is fat good for you? Eating the right fats, such as beef fat, will correct your HDL/LDL ratio and reduce your risk of heart disease for one.

There are many documented cases of large groups of people that eat well over 50% of their diet as fat and yet show far superior resistance to heart disease and other diet related illnesses.

oh I have googled it to death....and I clearly see that beef fat is good for me.

So again, exactly how is fat bad for me?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:

You may want to take your own words to heart....

That BS study in the link you so kindly provided was thoroughly ripped apart for a multitude of reasons by many people. I would list them all but it would take an entire paper just to list the reasons why the study is BS and another just to explain them, so I will just give a couple big ones that should be cause enough for you to never link that again.

1. Carnitine (the evil stuff in red meat according to the article) is found in every cell in your body and is actually necessary for energy production

2. TMAO (the evil stuff that the Carnitine turns into in your stomach and causes artery hardening according to the article) levels created by eating red meat are significantly lower than found when eating other foods, especially fish and seafood.

3. The people who did this study, released a strikingly similar study a few years ago that attributed the same thing to a completely different source and method. That study was similarly blown out of the water.

4 This was a study performed on mice that where genetically modified to have artery lesions and then they fed them more carnitine than you can get from consuming 1000 steaks per day.

5. Heres the real kicker...According the study you cite to condemn red meat, the very same study, yes seriously the same study....eating a steak does not increase the TMAO levels in your stomach any more than eating fruits and vegetables. Yes....its there.

kind of amazing how you can't really trust sensationalized news headlines published by news organizations that have an agenda built around sensationalizing stories.....weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink