U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 24 days ago)

17,364 posts, read 22,442,357 times

Advertisements

whats the grade on the last grass fed or organic beef you had???????

is it misleading when that beef has no grading???

this is ONE supermarket chain, not the industry- they probly went to select (grade beef) because it was cheaper

you buy a choice filet mignon lately?? over $15-20lb

the top three grades go prime, choice and select

prime being the most marbled beef and the most expensive!!

a prime rib eye may be 19.99lb or more

choice has moderate marbling, but the beef market is very very high now

select is similar to choice, just a bit leaner- for those that know how to cook a steak, select is what I buy - (because of the cost) sometimes.

ive seen many a folks take a prime grade filet or strip -bragging it up- then completely destroy it when they cook it

what the supermarket (giant) probly did,,,was go with cheaper grade meats so as not to be so high on retails

they should offer both- choice and select,then let the customer decide, that's what we do in our stores

someone at giant made the decision to place a sticker on the package because they always had choice stickers- they should have put select if it is select -

and we have a lower grade (no - roll) which some folks want because its cheap -we label it "economy grade" beef

prime beef is the Cadillac, not everyone can afford it- choice is also a top grade, yet not everyone can afford that either- so more are going to select- some folks just want leaner meats anyway and "select" grade satisfies that want or need (just don't overcook)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 03:19 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,395,807 times
Little meat touchy there mbm? LOL

I think the OP had to do more with the retail food industry and examples of obfuscation in labeling.

I agree though most people haven't got a clue when it comes to buying much less cooking meat correctly.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 24 days ago)

17,364 posts, read 22,442,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Little meat touchy there mbm? LOL

I think the OP had to do more with the retail food industry and examples of obfuscation in labeling.

I agree though most people haven't got a clue when it comes to buying much less cooking meat correctly.
yes I am touchy!! lol

I get the questions from propaganda and misinformation a lot!!

im still getting pink slime questions ...

you are right, the obfuscation, that label doesn't say anything at all

Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,395,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes I am touchy!! lol

I get the questions from propaganda and misinformation a lot!!

im still getting pink slime questions ...

you are right, the obfuscation, that label doesn't say anything at all
Yup, but your viewing the issue as a professional in the meat industry not a ignorant consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or