U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,638,461 times

Advertisements

What parts of the Cow are mostly used in Mediterranean Cuisine? What do they do with the left overs? It seems like a huge waste to just throw it all away.

No wonder meat and food is expensive. I have noticed most cultures only use some parts of the animals they slaughter, even pig. Only Chickens are consumed whole mostly.

Which cuisine uses the most cow, and uses most of the cow? Is it american? We have a large assortment of steaks, and BBQ. What happens to the meant in the legs and forearms of the cow? Cant those be eaten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
https://www.angus.org/pub/beefchart.pdf - it's a chart that breaks down the different cuts of meat and what each cut is used for.

It isn't inclusive - it doesn't include organ meat (liver, kidney, brain) or tongue. It only includes things that fall into the specific category of "beef." Organ meat and tongue are a different category but those are used in cooking too. Bone is used in stews and in dog treats and dog foods. Leather, of course, is worked from the hide.

There's a jewish delicacy called kishka - that would be stuffed intestine that uses the congealed blood and scrap meats. If you don't keep kosher, you might enjoy the pork version of it, which is also called kishka. It's a polish specialty, in english it translates to the more commonly-known Blood Sausage. Tripe is a part of a cow's stomach.

Basically - ALL parts of a cow have use.

As for pork: Pigtails, pickled pig's feet, polish kishka, pig's brain, I'm pretty sure the stomach of a pig isn't used, but the original footballs were made with their bladders. Here's a chart for pork:

Cuts of Pork: Pig Diagram and Pork Chart

The term "Mediterranean cuisine" is a misnomer. Italy is Mediterranean, but its cuisine would never be confused with Greek food, which is also Mediterranean. Neither would be confused, ever, with Majorcan cooking, which is also Mediterranean.

However - they all make generous use of local fish, and not as much emphasis on beef as we have here in the USA.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,638,461 times
But arent most of those items listed in your chart not actually entirely used by any one cuisine. A cuisine may use a few of those selections, but the rest they dont use. And it seems a lot on that chart is american style steaks that no one else eats, or cuts that I only hear of being used in some american regional cuisine like the tri tip.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I don't know what they do with the parts of the cow they don't use. I also don't know which parts of the cow they don't use. Where did you find out which parts are not used in other cuisines? I only see which parts are considered a particularly important or significant part of the cuisine - but none that say "this cuisine does NOT use this part of the cow."

For all I know, they DO use all parts, they just don't feel the need to explain that to anyone else. I mean - do you know what part of the cow is in your all-beef hotdog? You know that most cultures that use beef, grind some of it? And unless it's a specialty item, there's really no reason to tell the world what it's made from. It's just generic ground beef, from some undisclosed part of the cow, which includes muscle tissue of some sort or another.

Here in the USA, we actually name the parts, even the ground stuff. We have ground chuck - which supposedly comes from a chuck-roast, specifically. As opposed to being from a sirloin, which would be called ground sirloin. Beef tips are chunks that are typically used in stew - which most cultures that cook with beef, use in stews. They just don't call them beef tips. Maybe the french call them le boef tieppue. And maybe in Spain it's called El Torro Tippo. Maybe in Greek it's called Opa Teep. Who knows really.

The USA is known for its beef (among other things). It's a matter of pride, so we brag about it, we make a big stink about our steaks, our omnivorous citizens have actual preferences...other cultures put more priority on different foods, so you'll hear more about those different foods, than you'll hear about their beef consumption.

I'm going to take a leap in faith and assume that most of the cow is used for *something* and be satisfied with that. At the very least, it'll end up in a can called Dog Food. Or maybe Dogue Foodo

Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
i dont understand your question,,,,doesnt make much sense to me

why are you assuming different parts get thrown out??

ive been a butcher for over 30 years, have been a meat manager in a high volume store, but also do alot of custom cutting- cutting up local beef and pork and wild game..

i assure you,,nothing gets wasted..

ive been to the big processing plants out west too, again,,,nothing gets wasted..

part of why i have such a problem with your question is this..

the places ive worked where their are german, italians, and other mediterranian influences- those are the ethnics, that wanted the offals/organ meats, the sausage, the kielbasa's
even the tongues, cheeks , glands, and the tail...
nothing gets wasted..

you ever see a cow get slaughtered?? in the back of a farm?? (by someone who knows what they are doing)
the hide gets sold, or tanned. , all the meat gets used, and bones are cut up used for soups..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i dont understand your question,,,,doesnt make much sense to me

why are you assuming different parts get thrown out??

ive been a butcher for over 30 years, have been a meat manager in a high volume store, but also do alot of custom cutting- cutting up local beef and pork and wild game..

i assure you,,nothing gets wasted..

ive been to the big processing plants out west too, again,,,nothing gets wasted..

part of why i have such a problem with your question is this..

the places ive worked where their are german, italians, and other mediterranian influences- those are the ethnics, that wanted the offals/organ meats, the sausage, the kielbasa's
even the tongues, cheeks , glands, and the tail...
nothing gets wasted..

you ever see a cow get slaughtered?? in the back of a farm?? (by someone who knows what they are doing)
the hide gets sold, or tanned. , all the meat gets used, and bones are cut up used for soups..
Why is it that nobody seems to eat lung?
The butcher used to give it to my mom for free for the cat, but I haven't seen it anywhere in decades.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The butcher used to give it to my mom for free for the cat, but I haven't seen it anywhere in decades.
At one time, it was banned by the FDA for human consumption. I believe that ban has been lifted, but I wouldn't expect it to be a popular item anytime soon.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
At one time, it was banned by the FDA for human consumption. I believe that ban has been lifted, but I wouldn't expect it to be a popular item anytime soon.
But why? People seem to love other organ meats.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Go to a Hispanic market.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
.............. I have noticed most cultures only use some parts of the animals they slaughter, even pig. Only Chickens are consumed whole mostly. ............What happens to the meant in the legs and forearms of the cow? Cant those be eaten?
There is no cuisine anywhere in the world that throws away meat from the animals they butcher. Where did you come up with such an idea?

In the USA, the shoulder and forearms are sold as chuck and used in pot roast, stew and things like etouffee and a thousand other similar recipes, including ropa vieja. The short ribs are used in the same way. Shoulders are also ground into hamburger. Americans eat a lot of hamburger.

If you get all the way to the very low end of the front leg, that gives you a soup bone.

The rump and rear legs are round steak and used for stew, chicken fried steak, burger, roast beef for sandwiches.....

There are literally thousands of different stew recipes from cultures around the world.

The offal is eaten. The intestines are made into sausage casings. The stomach lining is used to make menudo. Odd bits like lips and cheeks are ground into sausage and lunch meat.

Hooves and tendons are made into dog toys. Glands get separated out and used in medications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or