U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
The producers do not typically store potatoes under refrigerated conditions, but in temperature controlled cellars. They already know how temperature affects taste.

Unfortunately, I see potatoes in the refrigerated produce section at grocery stores all too often. The bright lights will also make them go green, which is why you need to store them in a dark place.

/grew up in Idaho
It depends on the age of the potato too. My CSA sends us both stored potatoes and new ones. The new ones go in the fridge. They can't be stored in the dark or they spoil. The old ones go in the pantry. They advice accordingly when they send them to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 765 times
The reason I'm even on this page is because, my question to Google was why are russet potatoes now sweet. I don't like it, I've asked numerous friends if they noticed it and they all said no. they are much younger than me. so I wonder if they actually know what potatoes used to taste like. I wonder if they have just altered them so much through genetic engineering that this is now what we are stuck with. Hmmmm

Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,886,147 times
The thing is, different potatoes have different flavors. The reason I use redskins is the sweet taste. If I were you, I would switch to Idaho Russets.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,886,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
The reason I'm even on this page is because, my question to Google was why are russet potatoes now sweet. I don't like it, I've asked numerous friends if they noticed it and they all said no. they are much younger than me. so I wonder if they actually know what potatoes used to taste like. I wonder if they have just altered them so much through genetic engineering that this is now what we are stuck with. Hmmmm
Wait, are you asking about redskin potatoes (usually Pontiac Reds)...

...or Russets?

They taste totally different. Redskins are much sweeter.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 765 times
no I was talking about idaho russet potatoes.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:47 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,083,338 times
All you ever wanted to about fresh and frozen potatoes and they say that storing them below 40 degrees will give them a "sweet" flavor: Potatoes -- Fresh and Frozen — Home Food Preservation — Penn State Extension

I had heard years ago that the sweet flavor indicated they had been in freezing conditions so that sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or