Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times

Advertisements

A friend just gave me two large bottles of syrup purchased at an Asian market. One is cardamon syrup, the other sandalwood. Any suggestions how to use these? Would I pour it on ice cream or pancakes? Mix it in coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Oooh, that sounds good! I've never tried sandalwood syrup. Is it earthy tasting? I think over toasted almond ice cream it might be good. Or if you just have vanilla, toast some almonds in a pan, let 'em cool, and mix them in, and rechill. I oils infuse into the ice cream and the almonds stay crunchy. Then drizzle a bit of syrup. Some might find a rose and sandalwood sorbet or ice cream interesting, but be careful with rose water. It's intense.

You can put a sweetener in teriyaki sauce recipes. Instead of brown sugar, substitute one of the syrups, and brush it on steaks for grilling. I think any recipe (Asian or otherwise) that calls for brown sugar you can adapt. That includes satay sauces, baked beans, peach chicken, orange/mustard sauces.

Here's a sandalwood drink that also calls for cardomom pods (maybe substitute your syrup), though it calls for saffron too! Maybe for an extra special occasion... Otherwise a Thai iced tea might be nice. Also flans, mix it in the caramel. Or use it to sweeten whipped cream.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Thanks for the suggestions. So far we've tried the cardamon it in Starbucks Italian Roast coffee (gives it sort of a licoricey flavor, not my favorite), on mint ice cream (this was fairly good) and on blueberry pancakes (I like maple syrup better but this was interesting). I haven't tried the sandalwood yet--it's a bit "perfumey" but it might be good on pumpkin cake or something like that.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So far we've tried the cardamon it in Starbucks Italian Roast coffee (gives it sort of a licoricey flavor, not my favorite), on mint ice cream (this was fairly good) and on blueberry pancakes (I like maple syrup better but this was interesting). I haven't tried the sandalwood yet--it's a bit "perfumey" but it might be good on pumpkin cake or something like that.

Cardomon is the main flavoring in Chai. i know it is a seed but I have never heard of a syrup. I will go look for some.

I like the smell of actual sandalwood but have no reason it is in syrup form. Probably for aromatherapy.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
My husband LOVES cardamom, and would probably slather everything on earth in cardamom syrup.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,063 times
I love cardamom to flavor foods. I only know sandalwood as a scent for soap or incense, not for food.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Cardamom is one of the very few flavors I just can't handle - I can't imagine cardamom syrup. I'm not knocking cardamom - lot's of folks love it.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I love cardamom to flavor foods. I only know sandalwood as a scent for soap or incense, not for food.
A tad off topic, but sandalwood always reminds me of my pet rats. Clean rats smell of sandalwood.

Rats will not have any odor other than a natural perfumy scent (like sandalwood) that is pleasant to smell.
AFRMA - Pet Rats & Mice - General Care

Well, some folks in Asia do eat rats, so maybe it's not so off-topic on a food forum, after all.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I love the cardamom flavor in Swedish pastries, so you could try the syrup in a sweet dough. I am surprised cardamom is a spice in Chai, since all I taste in Chai is clove.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love the cardamom flavor in Swedish pastries, so you could try the syrup in a sweet dough. I am surprised cardamom is a spice in Chai, since all I taste in Chai is clove.
"Chai" is Hindi for "tea", simple as that. Tea in India is usually spiced, and the spices used can vary a lot, depending on one's taste, region, mood etc. There is no standard. In my experience, cardamom is the most common. I usually use cardamom and fresh ginger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink