U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,152,513 times

Advertisements

when I started to get serious about cooking I decided to go out and buy a whole bunch of spices. Now I realize that it was doing it backwords. Anyway I have a lot of spices that I don't know what to use them on. Maybe some people can give me ideas what they are good on. Most were bought at Spenzys Here is the list:

curry powder
orange peel
Bangkok blend
parsley flakes
caraway seed
oregano leaves
ground cinnamon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Which curry powder did you get at Penzey's? They have a bunch of different ones (all very good).

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I'd use the orange peel in tea or to make panna cotta.

Cinnamon is secretly a nice addition to tomato sauce, and most desserts.

For a new flavor profile, try to make a morrocan tangible like dish. You can use cinnamon and oregano here. Also the parsley.

I don't know what Bangkok blend is, but I imagine it would be tasty on fish, chicken or pork chops. You can sprinkle and sear your meat in a pan. Maybe deglaze the pan with coconut milk and veggie broth and serve it over some rice.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Try the caraway seeds with some buttered noodles. Orange peel is good with sweet potatoes. Curry, oregano, & cinnamon are pretty easy to figure out (all curries are a different blend, so taste it & let that be your guide--some are sweet & some spicy). Lose the parsley flakes--chop some fresh flat leaf parsley instead. Don't know about the Bangkok blend either. Unless you have a particular need for a certain brand of blended seasonings, you might just want to purchase individual spices. It's more versatile to make your own blends.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,782,134 times
There are more types of curry 'powders' than you can imagine. Remember that many should to be cooked before consuming.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
when I started to get serious about cooking I decided to go out and buy a whole bunch of spices. Now I realize that it was doing it backwords. Anyway I have a lot of spices that I don't know what to use them on. Maybe some people can give me ideas what they are good on. Most were bought at Spenzys Here is the list:

curry powder
orange peel
Bangkok blend
parsley flakes
caraway seed
oregano leaves
ground cinnamon
Penzy's website has suggestions for all their products:

curry powder
(depends on which one you have)
orange peel
Bangkok blend
parsley flakes
caraway seed
oregano leaves
ground cinnamon (again, many varieties)

Just an FYI for everyone, the Bangkok Blend consists of : sweet peppers, garlic, ginger, black pepper, galangal, hot peppers, lemon grass, basil, cilantro.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:20 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Penzy's website has suggestions for all their products:

curry powder
(depends on which one you have)
orange peel
Bangkok blend
parsley flakes
caraway seed
oregano leaves
ground cinnamon (again, many varieties)

Just an FYI for everyone, the Bangkok Blend consists of : sweet peppers, garlic, ginger, black pepper, galangal, hot peppers, lemon grass, basil, cilantro.
Oh, that sounds very nice.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM

33,139 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Make a curry with the curry powder, just fry up a pound of cubed chicken breast,when its almost done add a tablespoon or two of the curry powder and fry a few more minutes then add a can of coconut milk and you now have a basic curry,serve over Basmati rice.

A tablespoon of Caraway seeds can be added to soups and stews or i find it really enhances the flavor of boiled vegetables especially cabbage

Old 04-18-2014, 06:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post

curry powder
orange peel
Bangkok blend
parsley flakes
caraway seed
oregano leaves
ground cinnamon
Curry - tuna and curry work together well, whether you're broiling a steak or making a salad right out of the can. For your recipes or experiments, start with 1/4 teaspoon or a pinch, then keep adding 1/4 teaspoons and pinches at a time until it tastes how you want it to taste. Remember that cooking with curry brings out the flavor, so you'd use somewhat less with cooking than you would with cold salads.

Orange Peel - crockpot brisket and stews - a hint: don't buy orange peel anymore. If you need it for anything, just buy an orange, peel it, chop the peel into pinky-nail pieces or even just grate it before peeling on a "fine" cheese grater, and eat the rest of the orange. Dried orange peel doesn't retain the essential oils (the stuff that makes orange peel smell and taste like orange peel) for very long.

Parsley flakes: one of the main ingredients in shrimp scampi. Scampi's a one-pot dish, so it's easy to make, easy to clean. The noodles make it a two-pot dish but I never count the noodle pot

Caraway: you can use caraway in any recipe that calls for fennel, if you don't already have fennel in the house. The taste isn't all that different, to people who don't normally eat a lot of fennel-spiced foods. It's also the seed used to make proper Jewish rye bread.

Oregano: general rule of thumb: if it's italian, and isn't sweet, add some oregano. When you use oregano, always use dried oregano. Always use it by the pinch, and when you're pinching it, give it a good "smush" between your fingers to release the oils and aroma into the dish. Unlike citrus peels, oregano contains the oils until pulverized, and does -not- have the pungent flavor you want, when it's fresh.

Ground cinnamon: used in both sweet and savory foods; one of the ingredients in curried dishes - both Thai and Indian. Use it on oatmeal, in applesauce, in hot cocoa, in coffee, mix in your chocolate frosting recipe, on the sponge cake, in your pancake batter, sprinkle over rice pudding, mix with sugar and sprinkle on toast with butter, mix INTO some butter and use it as the spread on muffins...

Cinnamon is one of the most versatile spices you can have in your kitchen cupboard, *especially* if you enjoy sweet breads and pastries.

Bangkok blend: I checked Penzeys' website and see this is made with:
Quote:
sweet peppers, garlic, ginger, black pepper, galangal, hot peppers, lemon grass, basil, cilantro.
Use it on chicken or fish as a rub, or sprinkle *conservatively* into a greens salad. Could also use a couple tablespoons of this in a stew or pot roast for a "mystery kick."

Galangal is "hotter" than ginger so use sparingly until you learn how much you/your family would like.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM

30,330 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Parsley flakes can be used as ingredient chicken soup for example.

Oregano leaves are great on homemade pizza.

Ground cinnamon is very versatile as already mentioned. You can put in oatmeal or even hot tea to enhance the flavor. It goes well with apple sauce and is used in the cooking of many sweet flavored baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink