U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:36 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times

Advertisements

keep trying squash or turnip or cauliflower, you might like it someday!! not unless i smother it with beef gravy

you cant leave the table til you clean your plate- and dont give it to the dog!!!
wrong thing to do with kids.....

and we use to "unthaw" frozen foods....which absolutely makes no sense,,,but a third of the folks say it in these parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM

534 posts, read 413,450 times
My mom always did and still puts sugar in chili to "cut the acid". It ruins it if you ask me. Dad, myself and the rest of the family like spicy Tex style chili. Use both browned hamburger and sausage and a lot of it. You can also use venison and rattlesnake or alligator. Use plenty of chili powder and also dump some medium or hot salsa in it while it's cooking or after you get your bowl to season for personal taste.

I also never had a good steak or hamburger as a kid because my Dad always cooked them WELL/WELL done. Burnt to a crisp and dry....tough like shoe-leather. When I was about 12 years old in the Scouts, I started doing all the grill cooking and still am the number #1 grill cook during large family/friends get togethers. It's simple, I can cook them medium....medium/well and they suit most steak eaters tastes. Nothing like ruining a good piece of meat. Like that Porterhouse that is burnt to a crisp, yuck!!

Mom also likes her pizza out or homemade undercooked with white cool/gooey cheese and white/VERY light brown crust. Dad, myself and the rest of the family can't stand it like that. We like golden brown crust and cheese. Well done so to speak and fully cooked. If she makes a pizza, I always cut off my slices and nuke them or put them back into the oven to cook more.

Grilled cheese sandwiches I also corrected and perfected them on my own, now nobody will eat anyone elses. I make mine with coby jack blended block cheese hand sliced and fry some crispy bacon up first before throwing it in the skillet. Melted hot cheese and crispy bacon hit the spot. Mom also used to undercook grilled cheese sandwiches too.

She's a great cook and learned from my grandma on the farm as a girl. She just tends to prefer her stuff a little less done. I told her once, "Ma..if I have to shoot it first, it's not dead yet...!" LOL

She thought that was hilarious.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,369,044 times
I was raised as a second generation euro-american and don't have a clue why anyone would EVER switch the fork after cutting food unless they had a disability.
I cringe whenever I see it done by others as it seems very inefficient.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 PM

534 posts, read 413,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I was raised as a second generation euro-american and don't have a clue why anyone would EVER switch the fork after cutting food unless they had a disability.
I cringe whenever I see it done by others as it seems very inefficient.
I'm ambidextrous and practice it daily......

I WILL!!
YES SIR!!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:45 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
My mom always did and still puts sugar in chili to "cut the acid". It ruins it if you ask me. Dad, myself and the rest of the family like spicy Tex style chili. Use both browned hamburger and sausage and a lot of it. You can also use venison and rattlesnake or alligator. Use plenty of chili powder and also dump some medium or hot salsa in it while it's cooking or after you get your bowl to season for personal taste.

I also never had a good steak or hamburger as a kid because my Dad always cooked them WELL/WELL done. Burnt to a crisp and dry....tough like shoe-leather. When I was about 12 years old in the Scouts, I started doing all the grill cooking and still am the number #1 grill cook during large family/friends get togethers. It's simple, I can cook them medium....medium/well and they suit most steak eaters tastes. Nothing like ruining a good piece of meat. Like that Porterhouse that is burnt to a crisp, yuck!!

Mom also likes her pizza out or homemade undercooked with white cool/gooey cheese and white/VERY light brown crust. Dad, myself and the rest of the family can't stand it like that. We like golden brown crust and cheese. Well done so to speak and fully cooked. If she makes a pizza, I always cut off my slices and nuke them or put them back into the oven to cook more.

Grilled cheese sandwiches I also corrected and perfected them on my own, now nobody will eat anyone elses. I make mine with coby jack blended block cheese hand sliced and fry some crispy bacon up first before throwing it in the skillet. Melted hot cheese and crispy bacon hit the spot. Mom also used to undercook grilled cheese sandwiches too.

She's a great cook and learned from my grandma on the farm as a girl. She just tends to prefer her stuff a little less done. I told her once, "Ma..if I have to shoot it first, it's not dead yet...!" LOL

She thought that was hilarious.
Putting a little sugar in things like spaghetti sauce is absolutely de rigueur. It does cut the acid and makes it much better.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Mom never taught me that. I got it from Food Network. Doesn't it keep pasta from sticking together? I use cheap vegetable oil and not olive oil.
I've tested just about any rule I know of. I tested this one, and I do use cheap oil in the pasta water because it keeps the water from getting a lot of foam and boiling out of the pan. It really does work for that.

Thus,
you can boil the water rapidly without worrying about spillover. The rapid boiling (and the stirring it induces) keeps the noodles from sticking together.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
No offense to anyone, but these are just common rules of etiquette, & really shouldn't be "family-specific".
I agree with #2 and #3, but I don't see the harm in cutting up the meat into a lot of bites.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
I'm sure you're right, but that's cheating. Almost everything is better with bacon.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 PM

I think most of these old rules did fit better in some old context that's no longer there.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 PM

41 posts, read 50,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I've tested just about any rule I know of. I tested this one, and I do use cheap oil in the pasta water because it keeps the water from getting a lot of foam and boiling out of the pan. It really does work for that.

Thus,
you can boil the water rapidly without worrying about spillover. The rapid boiling (and the stirring it induces) keeps the noodles from sticking together.

Also, worth noting...you rarely get boilovers if you use a large enough pot. Oil or not, I never have spill over, and my pasta cooks more quickly when the proper pot is used. Even for 2 people, I never boil less than 2.5-3 quarts of water. A gallon if cooking a half pound of pasta or more. That's the number one reason you get boilovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or