U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pocket View Post
Also, worth noting...you rarely get boilovers if you use a large enough pot. Oil or not, I never have spill over, and my pasta cooks more quickly when the proper pot is used. Even for 2 people, I never boil less than 2.5-3 quarts of water. A gallon if cooking a half pound of pasta or more. That's the number one reason you get boilovers.
Yep, I know that's true too More boiling water helps too. Seems you're a pasta expert, as I try to be. But I don't like to have to use that big a pot, wait that long for it to boil, steam up the place that much, if I don't have to. Kind of like what I said about context--one rule doesn't always apply.

Your solution is better than mine, if you want the pasta to come out with no oil on it. I say that depends on what's cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,311,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I agree with #2 and #3, but I don't see the harm in cutting up the meat into a lot of bites.
Lol--it is what it is. The only "harm" would be exposing one's complete lack of sophistication. It's only appropriate for small children to have all their food/meat cut into several pieces before eating. You would definitely be noticed if you did cut all of your meat into small pieces when dining in a fine restaurant.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol--it is what it is. The only "harm" would be exposing one's complete lack of sophistication. It's only appropriate for small children to have all their food/meat cut into several pieces before eating. You would definitely be noticed if you did cut all of your meat into small pieces when dining in a fine restaurant.
Let the hoity-toities think what they want. There's no harm done.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM

37 posts, read 37,943 times
1) don't ever cut lettuce. it will bruise so you have to tear it. Well when you are serving kids it is sometimes necessary to cut it small enough for them to handle.
Cutting lettuce, instead of tearing it, causes the edges where the knife blade touched it to brown quite quickly. However, if you are about to eat a salad, by all means cut it. If you are preparing a salad to take to an event, it is better to cut it with a special plastic lettuce knife.

2) Don't every cut up all your meat at once but only 1 bite at a time. DH cuts up a meat all at once and a bit of me winces. (Is Mama watching from heaven telling me I should have fixed this major flaw in him before I married him?)
That is just plain etiquette for adults. I cut my toddler's food in one batch, however.

3) Men don't like casseroles. Well her man didn't like casserole but if my man didn't like them he wouldn't eat! cause I fix a lot of casseroles.
That's silly.

4) Always have a salad with every dinner. I still pretty much abide by this even if only sliced tomatoes and lettuce.
That's a nice way to get your veggies/fiber.

5) Don't ever serve two starches together and corm and potatoes are both starches.
This is true!

6) Always have 2 veggie side servings. I do this and count the salad as one of them.
This is true!

7) Always switch your fork over to your right hand after cutting. Well we know many Europeans laugh at us for this silliness.
This is proper American etiquette.

8) Always use cloth napkins. Still do that but wash them till they are thread bare.
This is not necessary.

9) Don't pre sweeten iced tea and let each person decide for themselves. I always use sweet and low for each pitcher of iced tea but not too much and as much as I would love to put lemon in the whole pitcher I let each family members use lemon if they want. Daddy is the only one who doesn't like lemon.
That's up to your family's preference. Mine loves sweet tea, but like you, I wouldn't add lemon to the entire batch.

10) Always serve yourself last. I do this mainly cause I like incredibly hot food and want to get everything done for others before I get my own plate. And once I sit down I stay down.
That is just plain manners when hosting guests, but for your own nuclear family, it doesn't matter.

11) No singing at the table. This from my father. He had no problem with earth shattering burbs but we could not sing. Why? Who knows.
Song at the table is weird. Who would sing at the table anyway?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
When I was growing up my mother had crazy ideas about beverages. She didn't allow us to drink soda of any kind. No colas or any other carbonated beverages. She claimed they were bad for us. She did, however, let us drink Kool-Aid. All the time. Loaded with two cups of sugar per pitcher. We were also allowed to drink milk but we were never encouraged to drink water. When we were sick she made us egg nog milk, raw eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Even for stomach upsets. I still can't get her to explain the thinking behind that one.

To this day my mother doesn't drink carbonated beverages, hard liquor, beer, or coffee. She exists almost completely on refined carbohydrates, red meat, and canned soup. She eats a ton of sweets but she is not overweight. When she moved in with me because of her health problems, I tried to encourage her to improve her diet but she would have none of it. Her doctor told me to give it up. "She's lived more than 85 years eating what she eats. If sugar was going to kill her, she'd already be dead." The doctor did join me in trying to get her to drink water. We live in the desert and she often has symptoms of dehydration. She still doesn't drink more than about two cups of water each day, but she does was her pills down with a glass of Gatorade. I got her to try it by telling her it tastes like Kool-Aid.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
My mom taught me that brussel sprouts and lima beans were good for me, but I still don't believe her.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
funny about the mom who doesn't drink water. my mother was just the opposite. we had two glasses for beverages at all three meals. one for water and the other for milk or juice or usually iced tea. to this day i drink about 3 glasses of cold water when i eat in a restaurant. and water or tea throughout the dsy.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Putting oil in the pasta water. Waste of good olive oil.
totally agree, I do put salt in it.

Drink a quart of milk a day and not that horrible blue milk, but regular or extra rich.

always peel your fruits and most veggies (actually both of these things came from my mother in law, not from my side of the family. She even peeled mushrooms.

As for cutting your meat, this is something I was taught as well: to this day hubby and I never cut all our meat up.

Cutting lettuce if you are not going to use it right away will make it turn brown on the edges.

I have always been taught to serve myself last and I do just that, so do my kids and grandkids

Most of OPs list, we still abide by. I don't think they are old fashion, just good manners.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Eat everything on your plate - don't follow that rule any more.

Nobody starts until after Grace is said - don't say Grace but nobody starts until everybody is sat down with their food.

Veggies with every dinner - ought to follow that one...

My mum taught me it was fine to refreeze defrosted frozen bread but I'm not too sure she's right about that one.

Can't think of anything else she taught me about food, its probably all sunk into my subconscious and got mixed up with everything I learnt since. I do add oil to pasta water but gluten free pasta tends to stick much easier than normal pasta so I like a bit of oil on it to help prevent that.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:17 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,745,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Putting a little sugar in things like spaghetti sauce is absolutely de rigueur. It does cut the acid and makes it much better.
I used to use sugar too, but my SO taught me to use carrot in spaghetti sauce to sweeten it. Either way it does taste better with some sweetness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or