U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM

164 posts, read 151,900 times

Advertisements

Not much. My mother has her own habits that she never shared with her family. Not eating anything burnt (makes sense now that I know more). Not eating poultry. Not eating bananas or chocolate.

She also enjoys filling the freezer with $1 chicken pot pie and budget freezer meal when I was a kid. Now I wish I never ate any of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 PM

670 posts, read 763,411 times
Don't wash down your food with milk...or any other liquid. Why not? Is it better to choke at the table?

Chew each bite 20 times. (uh...ok...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....).

I heard the cut one piece of meat at a time rule also. Then put you knife down and switch your fork to your right hand. Seems like a lot of extra work to me, but that is how I was trained.

Put your napkin in your lap...so you can slobber spaghetti sauce all over your nice top. Never could figure that one out! Do you suppose the clothing industry made up that rule?

No elbows on the table, but 9/10ths of the way to the elbow is ok.

Always sway the soup spoon away from you when eating soup. (That way you can never get the leftover contents in the bowl.)

Old 04-19-2014, 12:56 PM

351 posts, read 436,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When I was growing up my mother had crazy ideas about beverages. She didn't allow us to drink soda of any kind. No colas or any other carbonated beverages. She claimed they were bad for us. She did, however, let us drink Kool-Aid. All the time. Loaded with two cups of sugar per pitcher. We were also allowed to drink milk but we were never encouraged to drink water. When we were sick she made us egg nog milk, raw eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Even for stomach upsets. I still can't get her to explain the thinking behind that one
My mother only allowed us to drink soda at special occasions such as birthday parties, celebrations, etc.. At other times, we had to ask permission so she could monitor our soda intake. LOL My Caucasian grandmother also made me eggnog when I was sick. Once I was visiting my grandparents in Rochester, New York during the winter time and I came down with the flu. My grandmother made me eggnog the same say your mother did except she added freshly grated nutmeg to it. My own mother used to make me baked custard when I was recovering from the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My mother was Southern born and raised and she taught me a bunch of stuff I still carry but some things I've found don't hold any more.

My mother is 3rd generation Chinese-American who grew up in Hawaii when Hawaii was just a territory before it became a state.

1) don't ever cut lettuce. it will bruise so you have to tear it. Well when you are serving kids it is sometimes necessary to cut it small enough for them to handle.

My mother said the same thing.

2) Don't every cut up all your meat at once but only 1 bite at a time. DH cuts up a meat all at once and a bit of me winces. (Is Mama watching from heaven telling me I should have fixed this major flaw in him before I married him?)

I was taught that only unsophisticated people "country bumpkins" cut up their meat all at once. My very attractive single cousin once refused to date a man a 2nd time after she saw her date do that at a fine dining steak restaurant. Maybe that's why she's still single! LOL

3) Men don't like casseroles. Well her man didn't like casserole but if my man didn't like them he wouldn't eat! cause I fix a lot of casseroles.

My mother was/is a fantastic cook, everything from american, asian to european cuisine, but she never made casseroles.

4) Always have a salad with every dinner. I still pretty much abide by this even if only sliced tomatoes and lettuce.

Same here. My mother would sometimes ask me to give her my dinner plate as I didn't have enough roughage on it and then proceed to pile on more salad or cooked veggies.

5) Don't ever serve two starches together and corm and potatoes are both starches.

My mother also followed that rule, the most common starch consumed in Hawaii being rice. However, if we were having Hawaiian food then that rule was broken. Along with poi, we might have baked sweet potato or baked Ulu (breadfruit) along with lomi salmon, laulau, fish (raw or fried), opihi, etc..

6) Always have 2 veggie side servings. I do this and count the salad as one of them.

Same with my mother. If she was serving braised pork chops, there would be cooked veggies (carrots and peas or corn) and a salad consisting of lettuce with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

7) Always switch your fork over to your right hand after cutting. Well we know many Europeans laugh at us for this silliness.

I was also raised that way. But after being exposed to the way my european friends do it, that way now seems silly. I now use the fork in my left hand and the knife stays in my right hand.

8) Always use cloth napkins. Still do that but wash them till they are thread bare.

It's usually very informal in Hawaii so cloth napkins are only used during special events, otherwise papers napkins are used.

9) Don't pre sweeten iced tea and let each person decide for themselves. I always use sweet and low for each pitcher of iced tea but not too much and as much as I would love to put lemon in the whole pitcher I let each family members use lemon if they want. Daddy is the only one who doesn't like lemon.

Same here.

10) Always serve yourself last. I do this mainly cause I like incredibly hot food and want to get everything done for others before I get my own plate. And once I sit down I stay down.

My mother was the same way.

11) No singing at the table. This from my father. He had no problem with earth shattering burbs but we could not sing. Why? Who knows.

My parents usually asked us about school, our friends and in general how we were doing. Or they would explain their philosophy on life. How a person should experience life, travel the world and do other things before settling down too young which they thought was a mistake too many people made. Hence the high divorce rate, etc..

So what did your mother or granny teach you about food and meals which you still dhere to or completely ignore today?
I still adhere to everything I was taught, except the american way of cutting the meat then switching hands. I prefer the european way.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:45 PM

6,232 posts, read 7,423,453 times
There's a funny story about slavishly following the "rules" that our families handed down.

A woman was cooking Sunday dinner and her grown daughter sat at the kitchen table scraping carrots. She watched as her Mom cut the end off the roast before putting it in the pan to brown it. The young woman asked her Mother, "Mom, I've watched you do that all my life and I wonder why you do that?" "Do what?", Mother asked. "That", said the daughter, "cut the end off the roast?" Mother thought for a minute and said, "I guess because that's the way my Mother did it". The daughter thought a minute and said, "Well, why did she do it? Didn't you ever wonder?" The Mom went to the phone and said, "I'll find out". She called her Mother and said, "Ma, Sue and I were wondering why we cut the end off the roast." The elder woman replied, "I don't know why you do it. I did it because I never had a pan big enough to fit."

Cloth napkins? That'll be the day.

We don't generally sing at the table because we're actually talking.

I cut my meat one bite at a time and follow the European style - fork, tines down, in left hand, knife in right. My Grandparents were English, as was my Father.

I have salad in the Summer. Other than that, I have salad when I'm not hungry for anything else. Never did get the "soup and salad" combo.

Thaw food on the counter, finish in the fridge when it can be separated.

No oil in the pasta. Make a pot of tea, divide in two. Half sweet tea and half DIY.

My mother only taught me one dish, Roulades, and she learned it from a German neighbor. My mother wasn't much of a cook.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 PM

18,720 posts, read 4,717,307 times
"Popeye" cartoons featuring spinach.....apparently they thought there was more iron or something in it
than there actually was....at least that's what I've read....anyway I do like spinach yet don't care for most
vegetables so maybe it did have an effect on me....

Old 04-19-2014, 02:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,228,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
"Popeye" cartoons featuring spinach.....apparently they thought there was more iron or something in it
than there actually was....at least that's what I've read....anyway I do like spinach yet don't care for most
vegetables so maybe it did have an effect on me....
A long time ago spinach was mistakenly identified as a super source of iron. It isn't. That along with the belief that more iron made you stronger (also not true unless you have iron-deficiency anemia) led to Popeye comics, so I've heard.

I don't like spinach that much either

Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,228,110 times
Quote:
10) Always serve yourself last. I do this mainly cause I like incredibly hot food and want to get everything done for others before I get my own plate. And once I sit down I stay down.
What if all insisted on serving themselves last? Then what would happen?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,582,189 times
Quote:
My mother was Southern born and raised and she taught me a bunch of stuff I still carry but some things I've found don't hold any more.

1) don't ever cut lettuce. it will bruise so you have to tear it. Well when you are serving kids it is sometimes necessary to cut it small enough for them to handle. True, but if it's being served immediately it's not a big deal.

2) Don't every cut up all your meat at once but only 1 bite at a time. DH cuts up a meat all at once and a bit of me winces. (Is Mama watching from heaven telling me I should have fixed this major flaw in him before I married him?)

3) Men don't like casseroles. Well her man didn't like casserole but if my man didn't like them he wouldn't eat! cause I fix a lot of casseroles. I like food, no matter how it's formed.

4) Always have a salad with every dinner. I still pretty much abide by this even if only sliced tomatoes and lettuce. Good idea. Maybe I will try it one day.

5) Don't ever serve two starches together and corm and potatoes are both starches. Sorry, potatoes and corn go together too well to keep them apart all the time. Pasta and bread are both starches but that will never stop me from having them in the same meal.

6) Always have 2 veggie side servings. I do this and count the salad as one of them.

7) Always switch your fork over to your right hand after cutting. Well we know many Europeans laugh at us for this silliness.

8) Always use cloth napkins. Still do that but wash them till they are thread bare.

9) Don't pre sweeten iced tea and let each person decide for themselves. I always use sweet and low for each pitcher of iced tea but not too much and as much as I would love to put lemon in the whole pitcher I let each family members use lemon if they want. Daddy is the only one who doesn't like lemon. Drink my tea as I make it, or don't I don't really care.

10) Always serve yourself last. I do this mainly cause I like incredibly hot food and want to get everything done for others before I get my own plate. And once I sit down I stay down. Very practical.

11) No singing at the table. This from my father. He had no problem with earth shattering burbs but we could not sing. Why? Who knows.

So what did your mother or granny teach you about food and meals which you still dhere to or completely ignore today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Don't drink milk while eating fish...... no chocolate milk with that tuna sandwich. I did it anyway and survived to do it often. Apparently that old wives tale is still around.
Whats the reason behind that tale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
My mother left food out to defrost on the counter all day, that may not be right.
I'm 47 and have never had self-induced food poisoning. Pizza stays in the oven overnight, food sits in the sink straight from the freezer until it's ready to use, sometimes Chinese leftovers are left out overnight as well to further meld the flavors together. I figure that pretty much anything is going to be thoroughly cooked or at least heated before it's eaten, so I'm safe. I wouldn't serve guests any of this, but a buddy or girlfriend? Absolutely, after I've informed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It also keeps sauce from sticking to your pasta.
All the best chefs say not to do it.
I've read all views about this, down to some pastas should be oiled while they cook, while others should not. Some go so far as specific dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I do it all the time. I have never become ill from doing it. I will say that once it has thawed or thawed enough for separation of the pieces, I refrigerate it if I am not going to prepare it at that precise moment.

I'm all for avoiding health issues, but I think we may go too far in some instances. A friend often throw away food because it sat out while we ate! What a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
My mom always did and still puts sugar in chili to "cut the acid". It ruins it if you ask me. Dad, myself and the rest of the family like spicy Tex style chili. Use both browned hamburger and sausage and a lot of it. You can also use venison and rattlesnake or alligator. Use plenty of chili powder and also dump some medium or hot salsa in it while it's cooking or after you get your bowl to season for personal taste.

I also never had a good steak or hamburger as a kid because my Dad always cooked them WELL/WELL done. Burnt to a crisp and dry....tough like shoe-leather. When I was about 12 years old in the Scouts, I started doing all the grill cooking and still am the number #1 grill cook during large family/friends get togethers. It's simple, I can cook them medium....medium/well and they suit most steak eaters tastes. Nothing like ruining a good piece of meat. Like that Porterhouse that is burnt to a crisp, yuck!!

Mom also likes her pizza out or homemade undercooked with white cool/gooey cheese and white/VERY light brown crust. Dad, myself and the rest of the family can't stand it like that. We like golden brown crust and cheese. Well done so to speak and fully cooked. If she makes a pizza, I always cut off my slices and nuke them or put them back into the oven to cook more.

Grilled cheese sandwiches I also corrected and perfected them on my own, now nobody will eat anyone elses. I make mine with coby jack blended block cheese hand sliced and fry some crispy bacon up first before throwing it in the skillet. Melted hot cheese and crispy bacon hit the spot. Mom also used to undercook grilled cheese sandwiches too.

She's a great cook and learned from my grandma on the farm as a girl. She just tends to prefer her stuff a little less done. I told her once, "Ma..if I have to shoot it first, it's not dead yet...!" LOL

She thought that was hilarious.
Sugar in chili or marinara is all about preference. I don't like sweet versions of either, so I want little to no sugar or sweetening in either.

Dad thought that burnt was the proper way to cook any meat. I eat steak meduim-rare now. A buddy and his wife will order prime rib well done. I've stopped suggesting that they save their money and just ruin a cheaper cut of meat.

Nuked pizza? Ick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
I'm ambidextrous and practice it daily......

I WILL!!
YES SIR!!
I never switch hands. I don't understand why some would have an issue with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Putting a little sugar in things like spaghetti sauce is absolutely de rigueur. It does cut the acid and makes it much better.
Your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I've tested just about any rule I know of. I tested this one, and I do use cheap oil in the pasta water because it keeps the water from getting a lot of foam and boiling out of the pan. It really does work for that.

Thus,
you can boil the water rapidly without worrying about spillover. The rapid boiling (and the stirring it induces) keeps the noodles from sticking together.
A wooden spoon sitting across the top of a pan keeps it from boiling over as well.

Quote:
I agree with #2 and #3, but I don't see the harm in cutting up the meat into a lot of bites.
I don't either, except that it will cool faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol--it is what it is. The only "harm" would be exposing one's complete lack of sophistication. It's only appropriate for small children to have all their food/meat cut into several pieces before eating. You would definitely be noticed if you did cut all of your meat into small pieces when dining in a fine restaurant.
Can you explain why cutting all the meat at once, or now switching hands after cutting, is against some rule?
Quote:
What if all insisted on serving themselves last? Then what would happen?
I read it that way also, but realized that the poster meant to actually put food on the plates of the other diners before his/her own.

In general terms, I require an explanation for why something should be done a certain way. If the answer is "just because" I will probably go out of my way to do it differently.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 04-19-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 04:50 PM

18,105 posts, read 17,234,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
My mother only allowed us to drink soda at special occasions such as birthday parties, celebrations, etc.. At other times, we had to ask permission so she could monitor our soda intake. LOL My Caucasian grandmother also made me eggnog when I was sick. Once I was visiting my grandparents in Rochester, New York during the winter time and I came down with the flu. My grandmother made me eggnog the same say your mother did except she added freshly grated nutmeg to it. My own mother used to make me baked custard when I was recovering from the flu.

I still adhere to everything I was taught, except the american way of cutting the meat then switching hands. I prefer the european way.
Eggnog or custard was what we got when we were sick. I still want the custard when I feel sick or run down. It's what the doctor used to recommend--milk is good for kids, eggs are nutritious, what else is in it? Some sugar? It goes down well when you aren't feeling up to eating a real meal and it's sweet enough that a kid will eat it.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,487,101 times
The biggest thing I grew up with that I saw the error of later in life were that:

1. Beef must be well done (and then some, sometimes). Both my patents feel strongly that there should be no pink in either a steak or a hamburger, let alone any red juices.

2. Sloppy Joes = BBQ. Then I moved to Kansas City and found out what real BBQ is.

I also grew up consuming milk as a beverage at every meal, but now I usually have water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or