U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
A long time ago spinach was mistakenly identified as a super source of iron. It isn't. That along with the belief that more iron made you stronger (also not true unless you have iron-deficiency anemia) led to Popeye comics, so I've heard.

I don't like spinach that much either
I love spinach (fresh, please...not frozen or canned), and I have severe iron deficiency anemia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM

8,836 posts, read 8,173,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
don't ever cut lettuce. it will bruise so you have to tear it.
I cut romaine, but not iceberg. I don't eat iceberg, actually, but it is the only lettuce I've heard associated with the "don't cut" rule. Everything else I've always torn. They don't come in such big heads, so there's no reason to cut them. Now I just buy the bagged lettuce.

Quote:
Men don't like casseroles. Well her man didn't like casserole but if my man didn't like them he wouldn't eat! cause I fix a lot of casseroles.
I love casseroles, in general. Depends what's in them. Pasta has always been more interesting than meat.

Quote:
Always switch your fork over to your right hand after cutting. Well we know many Europeans laugh at us for this silliness.
My grandmother taught us to do this. The minute I saw the "continental" style, as I was then told it was called, I started eating that way.

Quote:
Don't pre sweeten iced tea and let each person decide for themselves. I always use sweet and low for each pitcher of iced tea.
Ugh. I wouldn't put Sweet and Low in anything. Tea is just tea at my house, from pitcher to glass to mouth.

As far as what I do differently from my mother, it's this: no pre-processed meals except bagged lettuce and (sometimes) canned soup. I make nearly everything from scratch. I've never made a box cake, for example. My mother was Queen of the Box Cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Putting oil in the pasta water. Waste of good olive oil.
I never, ever put oil in pasta water. That's an old wives' tale from the 1950s. If your pasta is sticking, you need to stir it more. Or you should have used more water. I don't think I've ever had pasta stick to itself, and I am old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
my SO taught me to use carrot in spaghetti sauce to sweeten it.
This. No sugar.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM

34,570 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Myth: It is wrong to put your elbows on the table.
Myth: It is OK to put tomatoes in the fridge.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 559,399 times
Smile The prettiest girl, I ever saw, was sipping cider, through a straw ...

I was taught crumbs had no calories, and the person who ate the last of a carton or box assumed all calories. I was taught butter was bad for me, and later that whole milk is bad.

So far it's worked out well. I decided to take the high calorie diet route, and see how it worked out. Without meaning to, I've manged to keep thin my entire life. I eat whatever I want, get sated then stop. Whole milk, butter, and entire cookies, no crumbs. I was always bad at rote learning.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
... my SO taught me to use carrot in spaghetti sauce to sweeten it. Either way it does taste better with some sweetness.
Carrot tastes great, and it's also traditional in Italy for some pasta sauces.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
No offense to anyone, but these are just common rules of etiquette, & really shouldn't be "family-specific".
atio
If you think we have rules......
Customs and etiquette in Chinese dining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ There are a lot of etiquette changes depending on the culture/location.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I can't get behind the idea of sweetened pasta sauce, personally.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 PM

22,710 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I agree with #2 and #3, but I don't see the harm in cutting up the meat into a lot of bites.
There's nothing really wrong with it. It's just considered rude or stupid in a Downton Abbey way.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
The answer is to cut the meat up into bite-sized pieces before it's cooked, as in stir-fry or stroganoff. There must have been an illegal food mafia trying to circumvent the rules.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,070,905 times
False: Do not put butter on white rice.

I've been eating rice since I was a little boy, but I never put butter on it. That doesn't others can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or