U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
A shot of KDC (Kumbakonam degree coffee) every morning. Cant live without it .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WIpHeF31IP...ter+coffee.bmp

We usually buy coffee from Indian grocery stores.
I've never heard or seen such a thing before. What country uses this~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
It's over 2 years old anyways.
That old? Wow ...

This is going to happen to you again and again if you don't buck up and learn to use vinegar. It's one of the best cleaning solutions out there, and will prevent you from needless waste of money and natural resources.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Quote:
I've never heard or seen such a thing before. What country uses this~?
Coffee is consumed this way in India. We use boiled milk over coffee. Easier to describe with a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqR-5kcRbX8

I make it every morning.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM

14,938 posts, read 26,640,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That old? Wow ...

This is going to happen to you again and again if you don't buck up and learn to use vinegar. It's one of the best cleaning solutions out there, and will prevent you from needless waste of money and natural resources.
And I like to use filtered water to make my coffee, helps extend time between cleanings. I just pour the water in from my Brita pitcher. Low budget here.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 PM

22,712 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Twenty years ago I purchased a General Electric percolator that was made in 1959.
I've been using it close to everyday since.

You can taste the difference between percolated coffee and coffee made in a coffee maker and in my opinion percolated coffee tastes far better.
I prefer the soak or drip methods, but a good perc is appreciated.

When I was about six years old, I was put in charge of making my father's morning coffee in a stove top peculator. I think that I did a pretty good job. I'll never really know; he drank it and never said anything.

I'm pretty sure that M-I-L had a GE percolator. Her coffee was very good.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times
Took me a while to recall the high end coffee maker I had, but it was Capresso. And it quite working not because I didn't descale it, but mechanically it went bad like others I had. I did clean out the Keurig cup part on this and it wasn't clogged and I think mechanically it has issues since nothing last forever like it once did~! I may give the vinegar a shot, but it makes me nauseated the odor. If it doesn't work or gives the coffee a bad flavor (as someone commented on the K-site using their descaler) then it's gonna have to be replaced.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,251,964 times
I was a sucker who purchased a Kurig and it is a counter top real estate waster. I'ts best redeeming quality it it makes a nice night light

I went on ebay and ordered a 1980's Mellita one cup a time, cone filter, drip (electric) .
All that I can say is I pray that it lasts as long as the first one I purchased. .

I bought my hubby a Hamilton Beach 1 cup at a time drip coffee maker which variable short to tall cup size and we are pleased.

On a side note you will never beat a French Press, it takes a little longer but for those times you want to relax and savor the moment it is tops..

Old 04-20-2014, 04:12 AM

13,157 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
What brand of coffee makers do y'all use~? I have a K-cup and lately it's not brewing right at all, that is very little like 1/4-1/2 cup depending. I've called the company today and they told me what to do to clean out the part that you insert the K-cup into. Since that didn't work, I have to buy a descaling solution to clean it out, but I'm hesitate. Reading the reviews here on Keurig, I'm thinking it is best to just buy another machine. Any of y'all descale your machines~?

Short cupping is a design flaw in Keurigs. Many of them do that. When I looked at buying a Keurig on Amazon, complaints about this issue from many customers discouraged me from going through with the purchase. My MIL's Keurig started short cupping only a few months after she purchased it. After all the remedies she tried failed, she purchased a Mr. Coffee single serve machine. That one hasn't given her any problems. I myself use a regular 12 cup Hamilton Beach programmable drip coffee maker because the coffee is much cheaper and I drink a lot of it. I've had that one about two years, and it cost $40.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 AM

6,966 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I myself use a regular 12 cup Hamilton Beach programmable drip coffee maker because the coffee is much cheaper and I drink a lot of it. I've had that one about two years, and it cost $40.
We're on our fourth year on my wife's 12 cup Mr. Coffee. We were at the store a while back and my wife looked at the price of those single serving coffee packs for these Keurigs. then compared it to a container of her Maxwell House and had a good laugh!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
~! I may give the vinegar a shot, but it makes me nauseated the odor. If it doesn't work or gives the coffee a bad flavor (as someone commented on the K-site using their descaler) then it's gonna have to be replaced.

If the vinegar bothers you that much put the Keurig outside when you run the vinegar through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post

On a side note you will never beat a French Press, it takes a little longer but for those times you want to relax and savor the moment it is tops..
I've heard that about French Presses. I'm tempted to try one.

I use a percolator that goes on my stove. My stepdaughter gave me her Keurig. I prefer the percolator coffee and the price of the coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink