U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:16 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
Appliances should be similar.
If they were, the American economy would collapse in a manner that would make the Great Depression and the Recession of 2008 both look like a mildly bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:30 AM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times
I've had the same coffee maker since the late '80s, made by Krups or Braun. I gave up using it when I bought a single-cup Melitta last year. But I'm a single person, and I only want one cup at a time, once or twice a day.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,180,377 times
Keurigs are about as stupid of an invention ever. The most polluting coffee maker ever with those stupid plastic cups. No wonder they can't find that lost plane with all the garbage we love to produce. Why not just get a French Press and be done with it. Can't get much easier and you just rinse the thing out when you are done. I just don't get why people love to buy these things that pollute so much.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Keurigs are about as stupid of an invention ever. The most polluting coffee maker ever with those stupid plastic cups. No wonder they can't find that lost plane with all the garbage we love to produce. Why not just get a French Press and be done with it. Can't get much easier and you just rinse the thing out when you are done. I just don't get why people love to buy these things that pollute so much.
I now rarely drink coffee, gave away my coffee maker. I was going to buy a french press, but couldn't be bothered. I measure ground beans into a measuring cup, pour in hot water, steep and strain through my fine tea strainer. It works for me.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
I have had the same coffee maker for 10+ years. It was made by that venerable coffee maker company ... BLACK & DECKER. Not only does it make good coffee but it has an insulated decanter so I can have good HOT coffee for four hours without running upstairs for another cup!

I bought a french press about fifteen years ago and it has not been used once. It was one of those "great ideas" that just did not work out.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 AM

13,140 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I bought a french press about fifteen years ago and it has not been used once. It was one of those "great ideas" that just did not work out.
I have several of those around my house, one of which is a coffee grinder. My husband loves buying useless kitchen appliances that we only use 0-2 times and takes up a lot of space. I have given up arguing about these frivolous purchases. I throw them away, one by one when he's not looking, then feign ignorance regarding their disappearance

Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,180,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you never even tried it, well I guess that says it all. The biggest reason I ended the use of coffee makers is because three of them broke within a year and I have had enough crap made in China, so I bought something that can't break. The French Press will live forever. No more crap.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,866,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Short cupping is a design flaw in Keurigs. Many of them do that. When I looked at buying a Keurig on Amazon, complaints about this issue from many customers discouraged me from going through with the purchase. My MIL's Keurig started short cupping only a few months after she purchased it. After all the remedies she tried failed, she purchased a Mr. Coffee single serve machine. That one hasn't given her any problems. I myself use a regular 12 cup Hamilton Beach programmable drip coffee maker because the coffee is much cheaper and I drink a lot of it. I've had that one about two years, and it cost $40.

Never thought about it, but "short cupping" is a good word for it. It works for me cause I have left the drip coffee pot on when I have left or when I go back for my 2nd cup, it tastes awful~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We're on our fourth year on my wife's 12 cup Mr. Coffee. We were at the store a while back and my wife looked at the price of those single serving coffee packs for these Keurigs. then compared it to a container of her Maxwell House and had a good laugh!
I'm in Kentucky too What county you in~?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have several of those around my house, one of which is a coffee grinder. My husband loves buying useless kitchen appliances that we only use 0-2 times and takes up a lot of space. I have given up arguing about these frivolous purchases. I throw them away, one by one when he's not looking, then feign ignorance regarding their disappearance
I use our coffee grinder a lot! Coffee beans aside, I grind herbs and spices, raw/turbinado sugar when I need a finer grain for something, bread crumbs, nuts or seeds...it's so quick and easy.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,904,417 times
I had this problem with mine and it had nothing to do with coffee/hard water residue.

A poster on a Keurig site said to just shake or jostle the machine somehow-I held mine upside down and shook it a few times .

After that, it was fine. Apparently air pockets or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink