U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

What brand of coffee makers do y'all use~? I have a K-cup and lately it's not brewing right at all, that is very little like 1/4-1/2 cup depending. I've called the company today and they told me what to do to clean out the part that you insert the K-cup into. Since that didn't work, I have to buy a descaling solution to clean it out, but I'm hesitate. Reading the reviews here on Keurig, I'm thinking it is best to just buy another machine. Any of y'all descale your machines~?


Last edited by Beretta; 04-19-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: inaccurate title
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Reputation: 16465
You can descale with plain ole white vinegar. Run an entire reservoir of vinegar, then run two full reservoirs of plain water.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You can descale with plain ole white vinegar. Run an entire reservoir of vinegar, then run two full reservoirs of plain water.

I don't like the smell of vinegar or the taste and use apple cider vinegar, of which they told me on the phone today that I couldn't use that. The reviews on Keurig have some negative feedback of using their descaling product and how it didn't even work. I'm thinking of just buying another machine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52008
What a waste of money and resources. I wish I had that kind of money to burn.

You do know that the smell of vinegar dissipates when it dries, don't you? Or that it dissipates when it's rinsed out by plain water? You won't have to smell it for long, and chances are whatever this solution is that you're talking about smells worse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a waste of money and resources. I wish I had that kind of money to burn.

You do know that the smell of vinegar dissipates when it dries, don't you? Or that it dissipates when it's rinsed out by plain water? You won't have to smell it for long, and chances are whatever this solution is that you're talking about smells worse.

I got it from BBB and they told me today they would take it back for an exchange. If the descaling product didn't work, Keurig would discount me some in the purchase of a new one thru the mail only. Either way I'd have to pay for another one. It's over 2 years old anyways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,311 posts, read 3,462,249 times
Reputation: 5304
Twenty years ago I purchased a General Electric percolator that was made in 1959.
I've been using it close to everyday since.

You can taste the difference between percolated coffee and coffee made in a coffee maker and in my opinion percolated coffee tastes far better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Twenty years ago I purchased a General Electric percolator that was made in 1959.
I've been using it close to everyday since.

You can taste the difference between percolated coffee and coffee made in a coffee maker and in my opinion percolated coffee tastes far better.

Wow~! I've gone thru coffee makers like toilet paper I purchased a high end coffee maker years ago and it went out on me within a year. They replaced it with a refurbished one and in time that went out. I like the K-cup cause I sometimes left the drip coffee pot on and left for the day or after awhile what is brewed tastes awful after going back for a cup later. This is a wonderful invention otherwise. Nothing last forever....except your GE percolator
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM
 
534 posts, read 413,359 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Twenty years ago I purchased a General Electric percolator that was made in 1959.
I've been using it close to everyday since.

You can taste the difference between percolated coffee and coffee made in a coffee maker and in my opinion percolated coffee tastes far better.
Everything was made better and seemed to have better quality back then. 1959 was a stellar year for many things. That seemed to be a pinnacle or "magic" number. Like say a 1959 Gibson Les Paul or 1959 Fender Stratocaster guitar.

Appliances should be similar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Reputation: 61840
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Wow~! I've gone thru coffee makers like toilet paper I purchased a high end coffee maker years ago and it went out on me within a year. They replaced it with a refurbished one and in time that went out. I like the K-cup cause I sometimes left the drip coffee pot on and left for the day or after awhile what is brewed tastes awful after going back for a cup later. This is a wonderful invention otherwise. Nothing last forever....except your GE percolator
The smell of vinegar is only a few minutes and it is much more cost effective than purchasing a new machine that more than likely just needs to be cleaned.
We have several different coffee brewing items so it depends on what mood I am in as to which apparatus I use to brew coffee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Reputation: 6312
A shot of KDC (Kumbakonam degree coffee) every morning. Cant live without it .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WIpHeF31IP...ter+coffee.bmp

We usually buy coffee from Indian grocery stores.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top