U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM

293 posts, read 416,916 times

Advertisements

Halvah. I had a friend in college who was addicted to it and I used to share it with her sometimes. Haven't touched it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 PM

9,268 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I used to raise them and found them to be much too intelligent to eat.

I figured it wasn't right to eat something smarter than me.

Super intelligent critters after watching them I feel they are at least as intelligent as porpoises
How do you know they are smarter than you? What are the alleged dumb animals that you do eat?

To the OP's question, I haven't had good long smoked bar-b-que in over five years.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,481,629 times
Foods I haven't eaten intentionally ... all fast food, cannot stomach to be near McD's let lone eat from there.

Foods I haven't eaten but miss ... chitterlins, my mothers steak and kidney pie

Foods I didn't use to like but love now ... olives, asparagus, proscuitto (sp??)

Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM

85,982 posts, read 3,526,399 times
Probably over 20 years since I've eaten livermush back in North Carolina.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM

535 posts, read 390,500 times
I can only think of liver, and Toaster Strudels. TS I used to eat obsessively. But then one day I burned out. 20 years on, I am still burned out. Or at least I think I am.

As far as beverages, I can only think of a Shirley Temple. It just never occurred to me, at 38, to order one.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Liver anything. I give it a try once every few years, but I can't. I just can't.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How do you know they are smarter than you? What are the alleged dumb animals that you do eat?

To the OP's question, I haven't had good long smoked bar-b-que in over five years.
The animals I am permitted to eat are those with cloven Hooves and chew a cud along with all fish. But I am essentially vegan and seldom eat meat.

The intelligence of pigs is quite advanced. Ask anyone who has ever raised them. It is impossible to make a pig-proof pen and still be able to get in and out of it your self. If there is a way for you to get in a pen, a pig will learn how to get out. Every pig farmer I know has had experiences of having a pig outwit them.

But the most touching thing I learned about pigs is their apparent ability to comprehend death. To watch a screaming pig being led to slaughter is heart breaking. Also I have seen pigs that actually appear to mourn the lose of a loved one when one is slaughtered.

I had 2 breeding boars that were brothers and very close to each other. One got killed in a accident. I buried it. the other one found where I had buried him and dog him up. I reburied him several times. Eventually he had his brother's skull and carried it with him every place he went for over 5 years. At night he would lie down just staring at the skull and it looked like he was crying.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 PM

170 posts, read 288,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I eat a baked potato once a month, at least. They are good for you and filling.

French fries and scalloped potatoes go on the ten year list. As does "Fast Food". All of it.

Here's fast food. Get a potato. Bake it. Stuff it with low fat cheese and sour cream. And serve with a tossed salad and oil and vinegar dressing. Add a side of asparagus or other in season veggie.

Pass on prepared fried potatoes. So bad for you!

Not to pick on you, but I suspect you should evaluate "healthy." I'm not sure what is healthy about a potato - and I'm not sure what is healthy about low fat foods?

Again, not trying to be rude!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 PM

351 posts, read 435,452 times
Default I can't stand beef liver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Liver anything. I give it a try once every few years, but I can't. I just can't.
My mom who was an excellent cook would cook beef liver every now and then. She said her doctor told her to eat this when she was pregnant with my siblings and I, because it was high in iron and had other nutritional benefits.

Mother would start by frying bacon, then sliced onions and finally the beef liver filets which were soaked in milk, salt and peppered and coated in flour before.

I could only finish about half of the portion that was put on my plate. No matter how much I would drown each piece of liver with ketchup, I just couldn't finish it. Then a miracle happened! My mother who was always health conscious found out that liver was high in cholesterol. From that day on liver never, ever appeared on her dinner menu!

Last edited by Honolulu21; 04-22-2014 at 11:21 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
This doesn't count for this, but I don't think that I ate beef jerky at all for four years until two days ago (Sunday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or