Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

My mother was Southern born and raised and she taught me a bunch of stuff I still carry but some things I've found don't hold any more.

1) don't ever cut lettuce. it will bruise so you have to tear it. Well when you are serving kids it is sometimes necessary to cut it small enough for them to handle.

2) Don't every cut up all your meat at once but only 1 bite at a time. DH cuts up a meat all at once and a bit of me winces. (Is Mama watching from heaven telling me I should have fixed this major flaw in him before I married him?)

3) Men don't like casseroles. Well her man didn't like casserole but if my man didn't like them he wouldn't eat! cause I fix a lot of casseroles.

4) Always have a salad with every dinner. I still pretty much abide by this even if only sliced tomatoes and lettuce.

5) Don't ever serve two starches together and corm and potatoes are both starches.

6) Always have 2 veggie side servings. I do this and count the salad as one of them.

7) Always switch your fork over to your right hand after cutting. Well we know many Europeans laugh at us for this silliness.

8) Always use cloth napkins. Still do that but wash them till they are thread bare.

9) Don't pre sweeten iced tea and let each person decide for themselves. I always use sweet and low for each pitcher of iced tea but not too much and as much as I would love to put lemon in the whole pitcher I let each family members use lemon if they want. Daddy is the only one who doesn't like lemon.

10) Always serve yourself last. I do this mainly cause I like incredibly hot food and want to get everything done for others before I get my own plate. And once I sit down I stay down.

11) No singing at the table. This from my father. He had no problem with earth shattering burbs but we could not sing. Why? Who knows.

So what did your mother or granny teach you about food and meals which you still dhere to or completely ignore today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Putting oil in the pasta water. Waste of good olive oil.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
That vegetables were good for you !

Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Putting oil in the pasta water. Waste of good olive oil.
Mom never taught me that. I got it from Food Network. Doesn't it keep pasta from sticking together? I use cheap vegetable oil and not olive oil.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:19 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Don't drink milk while eating fish...... no chocolate milk with that tuna sandwich. I did it anyway and survived to do it often. Apparently that old wives tale is still around.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
My mother left food out to defrost on the counter all day, that may not be right.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
My mother was English, so the right hand fork thing. . . Well, let's just say she scowled at my American born father and I get compliments regularly on my table manners.

Always heat the plates before you put the food on them, unless your eating soup. And that little rule is the main reason we bought a small toaster oven. I get compliments regularly on that, too.

Onion salt and garlic salt are your best friends in the kitchen. Well, I've switched both to powder instead of the salt, but I still think they are my best friends.

Thanks, Mom.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

2) Don't every cut up all your meat at once but only 1 bite at a time.

10) Always serve yourself last.

11) No singing at the table.

No offense to anyone, but these are just common rules of etiquette, & really shouldn't be "family-specific".

Old 04-18-2014, 03:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Mom never taught me that. I got it from Food Network. Doesn't it keep pasta from sticking together? I use cheap vegetable oil and not olive oil.
It also keeps sauce from sticking to your pasta.
All the best chefs say not to do it.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
My mother left food out to defrost on the counter all day, that may not be right.

I do it all the time. I have never become ill from doing it. I will say that once it has thawed or thawed enough for separation of the pieces, I refrigerate it if I am not going to prepare it at that precise moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink