U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM

4,581 posts, read 6,151,395 times

Advertisements

It's also called Georgia Hams or Yard Plums. People who don't like the yard plums has never had one of those down south sweet ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM

41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
I hate watermelon ANYTHING - watermelon, candy that tastes like watermelon, perfume that smells like it, body sprays, candles - BLECH. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,035,216 times
Funny timing - my best friend and I were just discussing this. She apparently hates watermelon, and I love it. :P

Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM

34,630 posts, read 42,792,739 times
Maybe watermelon is one of those genetically programmed tastes, like bitter vegetables.
Anyway, I like it, and I'm eager to try a recipe I saw Paula Deen make recently. It had watermelon chunks, feta cheese, mint and a bit of a balsamic dressing. I think it will be fabulous.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,373,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe watermelon is one of those genetically programmed tastes, like bitter vegetables.
Anyway, I like it, and I'm eager to try a recipe I saw Paula Deen make recently. It had watermelon chunks, feta cheese, mint and a bit of a balsamic dressing. I think it will be fabulous.

What a way to ruin a delicious salad.

Sweet and sour is one thing I personally will NEVER appreciate.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,224,648 times
Wow,i have never heard of people eating feta cheese with watermelon,or salt for that matter!

i have got to try it,though with goat cheese as i hate feta cheese.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 AM

486 posts, read 555,451 times
I've had watermelon with feta and a balsamic drizzle one time on a cruise. It was good, but there's nothing better than plain, chilled watermelon chunks on a hot summer day. Like good iced tea, it tastes like summer!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,422,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
along with the messiness of eating it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG6EIV4kjrU

If you don't care for intro's, skip to 1:56

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
I don't like chilled watermelon but on occasion like it at room temperature.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM

17,958 posts, read 9,863,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me.

Why do some people love it so much? Why do some (only one person now? since my uncle passed away) despise it, can't even eat a single mouthful off the stuff? Is it genetic? It doesn't taste good to me and it has a rough mushy texture and it's watery. Now cantaloupe is another story.

If it actually tasted good, I'd be right there, spitting out the seeds, juice running down my face. Is there another person who hates the stuff?
A lot of people have never had a good, tasty, natural watermelon. Good watermelon is very difficult to come by these days, so difficult that not many people have ever tasted one. It's kind of like tomatoes these days--a whole lot of people don't know what a really good tomato tastes like--and the "grow any time of year" hybrids and not good, whether tomatoes or watermelons.

I would not be surprised if there has never been a good watermelon on a New England store shelf--especially if your experience is that "it has a rough, mushy texture." You might have to have one specially selected from a Southern farmer's market by someone who knows how to select a good one, and have it bootlegged up to you in a red Camaro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink