U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,534,058 times

Advertisements

Thinking back in my younger years I never has a chilled watermelon, it was room temperature. Perhaps that is why now I do not like it chilled but do occasionally enjoy it at room temperature.

The best watermelon as a kid were the ones we "borrowed" from the field the Dairy farmer I worked for planted every year. It was a bit strange every year he would plant about 2 acres of watermelons but never saw him pick any, they would just be left in the field to rot. Us kids would sorta of borrow one when we were cleaning the cow barn,

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 PM

486 posts, read 555,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
I cannot eat watermelon. The flavor is okay and I even like watermelon flavored gum, but what I can't stand is the texture. The wet sort of slushy-crunchiness, I can't do it. If watermelons had the consistency of an apple or an orange or something I'd probably like them.
How funny! The slushy crunchiness is exactly what I DO like about it! One person's ceiling... As for chilled or not, I like it either way.

Hubby tells me that the reason he doesn't like it is because, as a kid, he got sick after a lunch of hot dogs and watermelon, after rolling down a big hill. Bad memory rather than bad flavor.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 43,505,244 times
Me... can't stand the taste, texture, seeds, etc. Funny thing is, I do love the SMELL of watermelon! Well, at least that fake watermelon smell (like you'd find in soap), and also artificially-flavored watermelon stuff like gum. But the fruit itself makes me want to gag.

I don't like any melons, come to think of it, so guess I'm just anti-melon in general. Citrus fruits also don't appeal to me, outside of the occasional orange or pineapple slice.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 PM

6,498 posts, read 2,244,151 times
An Italian Watermelon Granita on a hot summer's day!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 PM

486 posts, read 555,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
An Italian Watermelon Granita on a hot summer's day!
Heavenly!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:46 PM

1,714 posts, read 427,583 times
I think that I must have been born for the sole purpose of eating watermelon. I just plain love it! Whenever its around, I will just sit there all day and eat nothing but watermelon. If you're having surf n turf, then that's good for you, but just pass me the watermelon.

You like filet mignon? Well that's just dandy, but just please...Pass me the watermelon!

I love it when it's firm, crisp, sweet, and juicy! I just love the way the juice runs down my cheeks, my chin, and over my lips with each succulent bite. I just love planting my head down and sucking the sweet juice from the bottom of the rind. I like to smell and lick the slice, before I take my first delicious bite. I then dive in for the kill! Don't even give me a fork, a spoon, or nothing after the slicing. Just give me a quarter or an eighth, and I'll be in heaven.

There's only one thing that can compliment watermelon...And that's grandma's spicy fried chicken!

I'll eat 'em both together, if you'll let me!

Mmmmh! Mmmmh!...Yummy!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM

16,318 posts, read 12,599,314 times
Well I don't want to offend you all but I know someone that does not like watermelon.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,713,756 times
I don't like watermelon, or any kind of melon for that matter. To me it's water with a weird smell and after taste. No thanks.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,343,105 times
I like watermelon and all melons actually. What I can't stand is when I buy a whole watermelon and it is partly mushy inside when it should be firm - this is the case now. I've thought about taking it back - it was on sale for a good price and this time I'll just eat it.

It's like a crap shoot with fruit some times.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM

27,331 posts, read 15,077,511 times
14 pages on the merits of watermelon! We here at CD can discuss anything endlessly, right?

More to the point - I LOVE watermelon especially on a hot summer day after a long walk. Growing up, we always had cantaloupe at our cook-outs and I loathed it.

I remember our neighbors in the deep, deep south making homemade watermelon ice cream. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink