U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM

8,833 posts, read 8,167,425 times

Advertisements

I cut it in chunks, add lime juice and zest, honey, and a little salt. I'll bet feta would taste terrific with it, and I thank all your feta fans. I would simply never have thought of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
I know people who can't eat it. It doesn't agree with their stomachs. I think watermelon is a hit or miss though, when it is right in season, and like from a roadside farmstand fresh, it is delicious. When pale pink and not ripe and not in season. Yuck

Although cantelope is the same way. Out of season, tastes like cardboard.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh man, oh man, oh man. I AM the only one who doesn't like watermelon.

I'm not even sure how it tastes; I can't get past that texture. bleeeeech.
Maybe if you had fresh watermelon juice, you'd love it. I dunno.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 PM

17,973 posts, read 17,131,123 times
At family outings I would be fine until the watermelon arrived, usually to cheers. I always tried to become invisible but eventually someone would see me--"HEY, you don't have any watermelon." (I know.)

"HEY, don't worry about the SEEDS, just spit 'em out." (It's not the seeds.)

The texture is like styrofoam to me and there is no flavor to me.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,408,554 times
I don't like it either. For me, it's mostly the texture I can't stand. I have tried it with and without the seeds, just hated it. Even the smell gags me. My family always drenched it in salt too - Mom usually put an extra salt shaker out on the picnic table at the end of cook-outs when she served watermelon. Yuk.....

Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM

83 posts, read 218,180 times
I'm one of those who can't eat it. Debilitating stomach cramps are the result.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
I eat watermelon like a crazy person - it drips down the front of my shirt, down my arms, and all over my face. When I'm finished I just grab the "hosepipe" and hose myself down.

If you think that sounds messy you should see me with a couple of fresh ripe peaches.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM

31,159 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I can take it or leave it; I much prefer a big ol' Indiana melon. The idea of feta and watermelon is intriguing, though ...

Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM

17,973 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I don't like it either. For me, it's mostly the texture I can't stand. I have tried it with and without the seeds, just hated it. Even the smell gags me. My family always drenched it in salt too - Mom usually put an extra salt shaker out on the picnic table at the end of cook-outs when she served watermelon. Yuk.....

Thank you. Yep, the texture. I never heard of it without seeds but it wouldn't make any difference because I can't get beyond that awful styrofoam texture. The smell is sort of bad, now that you mention it. Like sour or spoiled.

It took a lot of googling but I found someone else who doesn't like watermelon. For those who DO like it, I guess this will be eye candy. (Gag)

How to Pick a Good Watermelon

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I like cubes of watermelon, in a bowl, and eating it with a fork. I don't like it messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I know people who can't eat it. It doesn't agree with their stomachs. I think watermelon is a hit or miss though, when it is right in season, and like from a roadside farmstand fresh, it is delicious. When pale pink and not ripe and not in season. Yuck

Although cantelope is the same way. Out of season, tastes like cardboard.
Thanks I have a taste for it now. It is not in season yet and I bought 2 small ones recently that
had no flavor and a terrible texture. I'll be waiting for our local watermelon season and cantelope too.
.....and I'll take it straight, very refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink