U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,225,073 times

Advertisements

I would have hopped that bandwagon screaming from the rafters if in_newengland asked about peaches. Ugh. I can't even look at photos of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...Watermelons are hardly worth the effort with all the seeds.
Spittin' seeds is half the fun. When I eat watermelon I'm drippin' juice like a soggy sponge and spittin' seeds like a STEN gun.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
You're not alone ... I also hate watermelon!!! All my life I've been labeled as kind of a "weirdo" because of it. I don't like honeydew melons either. Now, here's where it gets really weird ..... I don't eat oranges. Don't like them. But I love orange juice!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 AM

114,037 posts, read 52,372,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Spittin' seeds is half the fun. When I eat watermelon I'm drippin' juice like a soggy sponge and spittin' seeds like a STEN gun.
LOL! I'm more often indoors when eating watermelon so spitting seeds would be messy. Growing up there were a few watermelon stands around the neighborhoods. Big tubs of iced down melons. They cut you a plug out to taste your prospective choice. Those days are gone.. Cantaloupes and peaches are among the most stand out fruits there are. When they're "right" of course. Just my opinion.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me....
I don't hate it, but I am "massively indifferent" to it, if such a thing is possible. If any food deserves the description "insipid", it is watermelon.

What's to like?

Pickled watermelon rind, now there is a treat!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,003,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you. Yep, the texture. I never heard of it without seeds but it wouldn't make any difference because I can't get beyond that awful styrofoam texture. The smell is sort of bad, now that you mention it. Like sour or spoiled.

It took a lot of googling but I found someone else who doesn't like watermelon. For those who DO like it, I guess this will be eye candy. (Gag)

How to Pick a Good Watermelon
I wouldn't like that one, either. It's nowhere near ripe. Not even close. No eye candy there.

You tell when watermelon is ripe by knocking it with your knuckles. It's impossible to tell by looking. A secondary way to determine ripeness is when the tendrils around the stem wither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I love it. But it's true--the seedless ones are less flavorful. I won't even waste my money on those. Look for the old, seeded heritage varieties if you can find them.

!
Definitely.

The best ones are Black Diamonds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
LOL! I'm more often indoors when eating watermelon so spitting seeds would be messy. Growing up there were a few watermelon stands around the neighborhoods. Big tubs of iced down melons. They cut you a plug out to taste your prospective choice. Those days are gone.. Cantaloupes and peaches are among the most stand out fruits there are. When they're "right" of course. Just my opinion.
OH, my, I'd forgotten about the plugs.

I like watermelon room temperature. Iced down and cold takes away the flavor. We still have watermelon stands and roadside trucks all over the place. The best, though, is your own home grown.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 04-21-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 AM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
I'm not a fan. The flavor just doesn't do it for me, and the mess is annoying. So no, you're not alone.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 AM

695 posts, read 1,229,012 times
I've tried home grown and store bought watermelon and find it just "meh." It doesn't taste sweet or good to me, it just tastes like nothing. Now watermelon flavored candy, on the other hand . . .!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 AM

401 posts, read 682,252 times
I do not like watermelon or rye bread. Other than that I pretty much like everything. Lots of folks say the rye bread thing is sort of normal but not liking watermelon is just wierd. Im ok with that as long as i do not have to eat any watermelon.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Watermelon is one of the things that is better than good sex.
I would highly disagree with this comment, and I question your definition of good sex? Actually, I don't care for your definition, just know I pity your sexual experiences.

Watermelon smoothies are great, just take watermelon and throw it in the old trusty vitamix and walla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink