U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan and I never have been. I have never purchased watermelon by itself in my entire life (whole, half, chunks, or any other preparation). The only way I'll eat watermelon is if it's in mixed fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,272,211 times
I'm not a watermelon fan, but everybody I know loves it. I guess it's okay in a fruit mixture with other stuff, and only once in awhile, but no there are definitely fruits I'd choose every day ahead of watermelon.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,757,219 times
We love watermelon.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,509,989 times
If you think watermelon texture is "mushy" then you've never had a good watermelon. It shouldn't be mushy, just firm-ish and light.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,152,350 times
I'm not a huge fan of it. The texture can seem off too much of the time.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
We do not like each other.
My first trip to a US supermarket. Do you remember the open frozen goods isles with ice cream to die for and toppings on the shelves in the center? It looked too delicious to resist. Watermelon was a treat as it did not grow locally. Nothing like a big bite of a water melon lip smacker:>) It had no business next to Hershey syrup.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM

9,141 posts, read 6,329,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me.

Why do some people love it so much? Why do some (only one person now? since my uncle passed away) despise it, can't even eat a single mouthful off the stuff? Is it genetic? It doesn't taste good to me and it has a rough mushy texture and it's watery. Now cantaloupe is another story.

If it actually tasted good, I'd be right there, spitting out the seeds, juice running down my face. Is there another person who hates the stuff?
LOL, and here I thought I was the only person on the planet who didn't like watermelon. I've never liked it, for the same reasons that you mention you don't like it- I don't like the taste, texture, or the fact that it's incredibly messy to eat. But it's mostly the taste, I don't like watermelon-flavored anything, ie drinks, candy, and they aren't messy. Actually, I'm not crazy about honeydew melons either, although I like cantelope that is nice and ripe.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
This may be a tad sensitive to some but growing up black American and from the south I really didn't care for watermelon for much of my life, especially as a child. Surprise!

I have a cordial relationship with it now. I can eat it with sea salt and dill or even many types of vinegar and that helps with cutting the sweetness. I think the sweetness is what turned me off the most along with the messiness of eating it.
Ok, now that you've mentioned adulterated watermelon, I like pickled watermelon rinds- but they don't really taste like watermelon, which I don't like either.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I'm a direct descendant of Lady Godiva (not kidding), and I don't even like horses! Go figure. Time to clean out the tired prejudices.

Do you like chocolate? Just kidding...

Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh man, oh man, oh man. I AM the only one who doesn't like watermelon.

I'm not even sure how it tastes; I can't get past that texture. bleeeeech.

.............waving hands........... no you aren't alone, I don't like it either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink