Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
... And watermelon flavored stuff? Blech.
Artificial watermelon flavor is not even close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've bought seedless watermelons but it seems to me they have less flavor...?
I agree; the flavor is vitiated. It's like boneless meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
This may be a tad sensitive to some but growing up black American and from the south I really didn't care for watermelon for much of my life, especially as a child. Surprise!
I've always found that amusing since the watermelon is the only common fruit here from Subsaharan Africa. It's assumed that slaves brought the first watermelon seeds.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've always found that amusing since the watermelon is the only common fruit here from Subsaharan Africa. It's assumed that slaves brought the first watermelon seeds.
I'm a direct descendant of Lady Godiva (not kidding), and I don't even like horses! Go figure. Time to clean out the tired prejudices.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I spent many of my formative years living in Greece and Turkey, and salt (or salty cheese, such as feta) was the natural complement to melons. To this day I consider melons of any sort incomplete without something a bit salty, usually feta cheese.
Oh, feta. I never thought of that. Thanks!!!

I would give you some positive rep but I have to spread the love.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I agree; the flavor is vitiated. It's like boneless meat.

Slightly OT but we are all out of Africa, no?

I take no offense to your post here and can even enjoy a slight chuckle. But I cannot do straight watermelon and turned my nose up at it for a very long time. I am not a fan of sweet foods, especially foods that are just too sweet for no good reason. I need some bitter, salt, savory, or something to break it up.

So to answer the OP I do like watermelon now but I need something to break up the sweetness.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Another one who LOVES it.
Feta watermelon salad...to die for!!!
Some salt on a sliced chilled wedge!!!
My kid will ONLY eat it if I cut It in circles, then slice them into triangles with the rind still on.
She won't eat it otherwise.
So, we have 2 containers in the fridge when summer rolls around.
A container with her "triangles" then a container with no rinds cut into chunks.
We Probably buy one every other week.
occasionally, I'll make watermelon margaritas.

Oh, and can't forget the Watermelon Thump festivals here in Texas.
Talk about Messy, when they hand out free slices!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
It is definitely not one of my favorites, but I am going to try it with feta. My problem with watermelon is the juice dripping all over everything and getting my hands sticky, even though I think that is probably the one thing that people love about eating watermelon.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
It is definitely not one of my favorites, but I am going to try it with feta. My problem with watermelon is the juice dripping all over everything and getting my hands sticky, even though I think that is probably the one thing that people love about eating watermelon.
I like cubes of watermelon, in a bowl, and eating it with a fork. I don't like it messy.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Oh man, oh man, oh man. I AM the only one who doesn't like watermelon.

I'm not even sure how it tastes; I can't get past that texture. bleeeeech.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I don't eat it by the slice holding it in my hands. I put it on a plate and use a fork. Or if I'm fixing it for later, I cube it.

Salt on watermelon makes it sweeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink