U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM

6,991 posts, read 12,424,265 times

Advertisements

I drink a lot of flavored sparkling water from Walmart. I'm partial to key lime. Kinda like 7 Up or Sprite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 PM

5,380 posts, read 6,073,254 times
Topo Chico.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM

31,295 posts, read 57,520,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
What about Zevia soda flavored with Stevia or sports drinks like Gatorade/Propel? Aren't they much healthier alternatives?
That stuff's expensive, too. Sports drinks are just flavored sugar water.

I drink a lot of iced tea, mostly fruity herbal teas. I make it the old-fashioned way: tea, tea pot, boiling water. You can sweeten the tea with stevia if you like. I also drink seltzer, plain and flavored but not sweetened.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,235,315 times
If you are interested...

I used to be Pepsi addict. I drank way too much of it and rationalized it with the excuse that I don't drink, smoke or take drugs. I wasn't overweight, but wanted to improve my overall health so I weaned myself off it.

The method is rather simple. Dilute your soda in incremental ratios to H20. For example...

75% soda/25% water for about a week or two
50% soda/25% water for about a week or two
25% soda/75% water for about a week or two

The interims are just suggestions. You do each phase until you feel like you are ready to dilute more. It took me about three months to completely wean. The body becomes addicted to caffeine and some people get really bad migraines if they don't their "fix" every day. This is why I struggled time and time going cold turkey. Now, I've been drinking nothing but water and sometimes herbal teas for over a decade. I have definitely noticed a positive different.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM

35,831 posts, read 39,569,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Soda stream seems way too expensive and constantly need to refill the carbonator.

What about Zevia soda flavored with Stevia or sports drinks like Gatorade/Propel? Aren't they much healthier alternatives?
It's really not. We spent much more on soda, and you will definitely spend much more on sports drinks, which are essentially sweetened water. The canisters have a pretty long life (and, when you exchange an empty one, the replacement one is half price)...we go through a LOT of water daily, and do not have frequent canister replacements, by any means. I was skeptical, but buying beverages by the can, 12-pk, case, or bottle is more costly in the long run, turns out.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
One suggestion -- grow mint -- spearmint or peppermint and make tea from fresh leaves. No sugar.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,488,736 times
Water. Quit poisoning yourself.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,202,483 times
I drink tea that I make from loose leaf tea that I buy in the Asian Markets. They are the real product and cost much less than the overpriced nonsense at those specialized yuppified fluff stores like Teavana or many of these little tea shops that are buying the same tea in bulk and add a big profit.

Most of these teas are meant to be infused more than once. When I have hot tea, I use the second infusion for cold which I pour in a Mason Jar. I put a little sugar and flavor with lemons or limes or oranges or a mix of whatever I have available. I like mainly green teas or oolong and sometimes black teas.

I like using Mason Jars and I buy the plastic lids. It works well when I am sitting near my computer or working outside, as I have a lidded product that prevents spills. It can also great for barbecues events, as I chill the jars and distribute a nice ice tea to my guest with a bit of citrus as garnish. I have been often asked where I buy these bottled teas and people are surprised I make them myself. Sometimes I have printed my own labels with my witty and wise sayings, just for some whimsy--the guests loved it.

I also flavor my teas with preserves. blackberry, raspberry or whatever I have available. A good way to clean out a jar of preserves that has a little residue is to wash it out with hot tea. If I have some fresh fruit that I have frozen as strawberries or blueberries, I use those. I never buy pre-made flavored teas except the Jasmine Chinese Tea and Litchi Chinese tea.

I never buy sodas. Many times I just have water flavored with citrus fruit. I never ever buy those pricey flavored waters with the fancy names--all overpriced flavored water that take your money.

If I buy a frozen juice, naturally sweet, I add more water than instructed so it is not so sweet and still has the flavor of the product. If I buy a bottled juice, again naturally sweet and I dilute it with water. Sometimes I mix these products with my homemade ice tea. Orange Juice is much more refreshing in the summer when it is diluted, over ice.

I think the hazards of soda is also the carbonation. Drinking too much carbonation can erode your esophagus over time. So, I do not believe in substituting home made carbonated products and think they are safer.

Of course the addiction is tied to the caffeine, the carbonation and the sugar--all put together to get you to buy basically bubbly flavored sugar water.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-23-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 PM

119 posts, read 227,717 times
15 2 liters in a week? Years ago the hubs and I could go through a 24 pack in a week and it showed on our waists. I substituted the coke for sweet tea for several months and then replaced it with flavored water. Now I usually drink raspberry Dasani water or bring the single serve packets of Crystal Light (I'm sure it causes cancer like everything else) to restaurants. I have a coke or tea probably once a week.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 AM

6,299 posts, read 3,606,014 times
Water and unsweetened tea aren't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink