U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times

Advertisements

Have you considered praying to God to change the soup? People ask him for favors all the time.

Or gas chromatography separation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 PM

14,296 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Haven't read through all the replies (yet), but sugar is the solution to overly spiced soups and sauces - if we're talking "zippy" as in HOT spiciness.

I lived in Mexico and learned this trick while we were there. The sweetness eases the capcaisin (that's what is causing the heat), but go slowly so the soup doesn't become too sweet.

Some additional water may also help, if it's really gone over the top hot. Rethicken with mashed potato, additional beans (canned) or corn starch.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I would just buy a container of sour cream and let the family add a dollop or two to counteract the spice.
I agree. That is what I would do also.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,223,841 times
I have never had much luck in making things less spicy so I start with mild (or medium) and let people season themselves.

So, in this case, I would either freeze it in invidual servings and have some until it's finished OR make some yummy rolls or cornbread or both and have a girls' night with a few friends over to share the soup and a few laughs together.

Good luck.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM

4,658 posts, read 5,905,995 times
When I make jambalaya that is too hot I add rice. Plain white rice seems to absorb some of the heat.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM

14,296 posts, read 17,491,099 times
So what did you do with the soup, kudzu?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,705,142 times
Sweet as in sugar or sweet herbs like parsley or spice such as cinnamon will cut heat as well as adding fat or dairy. You could add olive oil or serve with grated cheese. The sour cream would also work or blend in some goat cheese to make it creamy soup.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So what did you do with the soup, kudzu?
A little bit of everything actually. I put mostly beans and ham and veggies (everything except little broth) in separate pan, added about 2 cups of chicken broth and some sugar and rice and it worked enough for everybody to eat it again tonight. I have at least 6 more servings I will freeze and I will work on it as well. But truth be know...it was too mild for me. I like more spice as I get older while DH prefers less.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
I'm a little late to this conversation, but I would have added some canned beans and crushed tomatoes to dilute the spiciness while not diluting the rest of it. Maybe a bit more savory spices. I would have considered adding cream or yogurt, but not sugar. That's just my personal taste.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:03 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I'm a little late to this conversation, but I would have added some canned beans and crushed tomatoes to dilute the spiciness while not diluting the rest of it. Maybe a bit more savory spices. I would have considered adding cream or yogurt, but not sugar. That's just my personal taste.
Yes these are some ideas I considered but DH really is getting sensitive to tomatoes (getting old is hell) and it already had 32 oz of crushed tomatoes in it anyway. I have some plan yogurt but never considered that. I'll experiment with what I have left which is in it's original form or I might just freeze it in individual servings JUST FOR ME AND TO HECK WITH THE REST OF THEM!
I can't imagine what it would taste like if I had used the entire contents of the cajun spice packet. From watching cooking shows, reading recipes and CD comments, I realize we are very wimpy in our house when it comes to spicy food. DH would pack up and leave if I put jalapeno pepper in anything yet it seems to be in so many popular recipes. We can't even eat the house salsa dip at most mexican restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or