U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Man, I'm batting zero here - I guess I won't create a thread for "Toad in the hole."

LOL! Let's see - frog legs inside a potato patty or such. Get it - "toad = amphibian" and "hole = something from the earth/soil".

Am I even close?

Just introduce the thread - someone probably knows about it and if not, it will be at least a learning thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,656,746 times
We used to make Angels on Horseback over a campfire as an appetizer when I was growing up. We wrapped raw bacon around large cheddar cheese cubes and cooked them on a stick over the campfire.

When the cheese melted and bacon got crisp we pulled the stick out of the fire and wrapped the "angel" in a slice of fresh bread.

After dinner we toasted marshmallows and made S'mores.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Man, I'm batting zero here - I guess I won't create a thread for "Toad in the hole."
Mom cooked Toad in a Hole for us for breakfast quite often. Dad made us the same thing but he called it "Sailor on a Raft" and a family friend called it "Adam and Eve on a Raft."

Old 04-28-2014, 02:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,152,350 times
Isn't toad in a hole an egg cooked in a piece of toast?

I used to make sunshine eggs for my daughter. It was a piece of toast with an egg cooked sunny-side up on it.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Isn't toad in a hole an egg cooked in a piece of toast?

I used to make sunshine eggs for my daughter. It was a piece of toast with an egg cooked sunny-side up on it.
Mom cut the center out of a slice of fresh bread with a biscuit cutter, making a perfectly round hole. Then she buttered one side and placed it in a pan and cracked an egg into the hole. Then she fried the bread and egg, flipped it and fried the other side. Then she served it with grated mild cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

Our family friend cooked the same thing only called it "Adam and Eve on a Raft" and if he cooked it over easy it was "Adam and Eve on a Raft Wrecked."

Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,872,935 times
I have seen devils on horseback -- not angels! -- in foreign-language phrasebooks, meant for people ordering in restaurants, but they have never explained what was in them. I believe they are, what, German or Polish? I also learned that way that Germans never call French toast by that name -- they call it "poor knights."

DG, I think we desperately need a Toad in the Hole thread. In Britain they are sausages baked in batter.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Never heard of it either but bacon wrapped oysters is something my husband would eat.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
...DG, I think we desperately need a Toad in the Hole thread. In Britain they are sausages baked in batter.
For me, Toad in the hole is sausages baked in Yorkshire Pudding .

Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
i will usually try anything that starts with "bacon-wrapped"

never heard of these but i bet they are good..

i'd try them,

Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
This time of year I love to make Angels on Horseback and Devils on Horseback to serve guests as we wait for the BBQ to finish cooking. The version of Angels on Horseback I cook is just oysters wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill. The version of Devils on Horseback I cook is bacon-wrapped prunes and/or bacon-wrapped dates, stuffed with a sweet fruit relish, and cooked on a grill.

I've seen several other variations through the years - what versions have you cooked or encountered (or are these hors d'œuvres completely foreign to you)?
I see the bacon-wrapped dates at weddings all the time, but I don't eat them. Also, bacon-wrapped figs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or