U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM

351 posts, read 435,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Man, I'm batting zero here - I guess I won't create a thread for "Toad in the hole."
I don't think you're batting zero by a long shot. BTW, my mother used to cut out the center of a slice of bread with a glass and then crack an egg in it, fry it in butter over easy and also fried the leftover circle. Thinking about it makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood! LOL

At adult cocktail parties my parents threw for their co-workers, one of the appetizers mother would make was cutting a slit in raw shrimp to devein it, add finely chopped water chestnuts to it, then wrap the whole thing in bacon, skewer it then place it under the broiler. Same thing with scallops.

Another one that was popular was taking fresh lychees, seeding it, then stuffing with cream cheese and a whole or half a macadamia nut.

BTW, angels on horseback sounds very yummy! I would definitely try to make that one. Thanks for posting about it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Never heard of Angels or Devils on Horseback. Well actually the name does sound slightly familiar but the description does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I have seen devils on horseback -- not angels! -- in foreign-language phrasebooks, meant for people ordering in restaurants, but they have never explained what was in them. I believe they are, what, German or Polish? I also learned that way that Germans never call French toast by that name -- they call it "poor knights."

DG, I think we desperately need a Toad in the Hole thread. In Britain they are sausages baked in batter.
They call it Poor Knights in Finland too, unless you add whipped cream and jam and then the Poor Knights become Rich Knights

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,844 times
I believe I posted about a much different version of angels on horseback made with hot dogs, cheese and wrapped in bacon on another post a few days ago. This is what I've always known as angels on horseback in my area. I've had them with either a hot dog or a smokie link sausage.

I learned to cook these in the early 1960's as a Girl Scout project.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Jalapeno poppers are very popular in my area. Please stretch the bacon with the back of a knife so it will be very thin and crunchy. They freeze well unbaked. I do pass on oysters.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM

3,936 posts, read 6,391,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wonder what they call the chicken liver wrapped in bacon...sometimes with a water chestnut inside??? It also said they had been very much in fashion on Long Island NY as a garden party hors d'oeuvres.

the chicken liver and bacon -sometimes with water chestnuts is Rumaki... love making that. I soak the chicken livers overnight in sherry..yum

and angels on horseback is what brought me to this board.... heard of it before and want to make them!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
the chicken liver and bacon -sometimes with water chestnuts is Rumaki...
I've seen Rumaki mentioned in this thread a few times - that one is new to me. I suppose I'll try that on the grill with the "horsebacks."

Old 04-29-2014, 02:33 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Never heard of Angels or Devils on Horseback. Well actually the name does sound slightly familiar but the description does not.

They call it Poor Knights in Finland too, unless you add whipped cream and jam and then the Poor Knights become Rich Knights
"Arme Ritter".

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 AM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
I've never made these (I don't care for oysters), but I am a nerdy cookbook reader/collector. I've seen Angels on Horseback in many, many cookbooks, including the Joy of Cooking.

Last edited by Debsi; 05-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM

33,551 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Totally foreign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Never heard of either.
Quote:
Maybe it's more of a British thing?
Not really. Those are very popular on the East Coast, but also available in some restaurants in ... Houston:
These oysters make a great appetizer. They are wonderful for entertaining since they can be prepared in advance and then simply grilled a couple minutes before serving. The juices from the bacon seep into the oysters to give a wonderful taste!

Angels on horseback von elnina999 auf Flickr

Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Quote:
For me, Toad in the hole is sausages baked in Yorkshire Pudding .
For me, too. Husband spent his youth in England. He and his family have introduced me to many British dishes.

I'm not familiar with Angels on Horseback. My mom's violently allergic to shellfish, so oysters were never served in my home. As an adult, I haven't sought them out, but they look delicious, so I might have to give them a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or