U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Reputation: 28069

Advertisements

This time of year I love to make Angels on Horseback and Devils on Horseback to serve guests as we wait for the BBQ to finish cooking. The version of Angels on Horseback I cook is just oysters wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill. The version of Devils on Horseback I cook is bacon-wrapped prunes and/or bacon-wrapped dates, stuffed with a sweet fruit relish, and cooked on a grill.

I've seen several other variations through the years - what versions have you cooked or encountered (or are these hors d'œuvres completely foreign to you)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM
 
3,321 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Reputation: 4119
Totally foreign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Reputation: 45139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've seen several other variations through the years - what versions have you cooked or encountered (or are these hors d'œuvres completely foreign to you)?
Never heard of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Reputation: 28069
Maybe it's more of a British thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Reputation: 7087
Never heard of such but that wouldn't surprise me as I have limited interest in anthropology and history. My first thought was that it was a cultural tradition bourne of the South.

Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Reputation: 5801
I've only had or made Angels on Horseback with oysters. The only Devils on Horseback I've had or made are made with jalapeños, cream cheese, & bacon (you can sub dates for the jalapeños if you're serving sissies )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Reputation: 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Maybe it's more of a British thing?
A lot of "Southern" things are British things as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
Reputation: 46306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This time of year I love to make Angels on Horseback and Devils on Horseback to serve guests as we wait for the BBQ to finish cooking. The version of Angels on Horseback I cook is just oysters wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill. The version of Devils on Horseback I cook is bacon-wrapped prunes and/or bacon-wrapped dates, stuffed with a sweet fruit relish, and cooked on a grill.

I've seen several other variations through the years - what versions have you cooked or encountered (or are these hors d'œuvres completely foreign to you)?
I just heard about Angels on Horseback and it was as you described an oyster (or scallop wrapped in bacon and grilled or broiled. The article I read called the scallop Devil on Horseback. I wonder what they call the chicken liver wrapped in bacon...sometimes with a water chestnut inside??? It also said they had been very much in fashion on Long Island NY as a garden party hors d'oeuvres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Reputation: 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wonder what they call the chicken liver wrapped in bacon...sometimes with a water chestnut inside??? It also said they had been very much in fashion on Long Island NY as a garden party hors d'oeuvres.
Lol--that was always called "Rumaki". No party in the 80s was complete without Rumaki & spinach dip--made with Knorr Vegetable Soup mix & served in a hollowed out King's Hawaiian bread.

Last edited by hellpaso; 04-28-2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: And don't forget the Brie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Reputation: 28069
Man, I'm batting zero here - I guess I won't create a thread for "Toad in the hole."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top