U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM

13,566 posts, read 16,072,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
many items, especially made with mayo needs (sic) to be kept cold.
When--if ever--will this myth about mayonnaise causing food poisoning die?
In reality, mayonnaise has mild antibacterial qualities, due to its acidic nature.
Where does the acid come from?
From the lemon juice or vinegar that is used when preparing it...

The first time that I was in Europe, I was concerned about the pots of mayonnaise that sat out on restaurant tables all day in the summer heat. Surely that couldn't be healthy, I thought. However, since Europeans weren't dropping like flies as a result of this practice, I decided to research the issue and found that much of the common knowledge regarding mayonnaise is...bogus.

For some reality regarding this--and other food poisoning issues, take a look at:
9 Food Poisoning Myths

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:25 PM

13,566 posts, read 16,072,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It makes absolutely no sense that your digestive tract would be damaged and not properly functional ten years after eating improperly handled chicken fingers.
If the infection and the resulting antibiotic regimen destroyed that person's intestinal flora--and if they failed to restore the intestinal flora through the use of probiotics--it is entirely possible that digestive problems persist, even many years later.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Just want to point out that true food poisoning takes anywhere from 48 hours to ten days to set in so it is sometimes impossible to find out where it came from.

If you are throwing up right after you ate somewhere, it isn't from their food.

A Primer on Symptoms of Foodborne Illness | Food Safety News

Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM

396 posts, read 337,661 times
Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense that your digestive tract would be damaged and not properly functional ten years after eating improperly handled chicken fingers.
A certain segment of the population (between 5 and 30%) do develop long term problems after a bout of food poisoning. e-coli is most often the culprit for the development of chronic GI illness. And it is estimated that 48 million people in the USA alone will suffer from food poisoning in a year according to foodsafety.gov.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM

16,317 posts, read 12,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Just want to point out that true food poisoning takes anywhere from 48 hours to ten days to set in so it is sometimes impossible to find out where it came from.

If you are throwing up right after you ate somewhere, it isn't from their food.

A Primer on Symptoms of Foodborne Illness | Food Safety News

There are at least 5 sicknesses that can occur within half an hour or so after eating, according to your link.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM

33,041 posts, read 12,506,296 times
I got sick as a dog after eating half a chicken sandwich with guacamole on it.

Thinking that I had a bout with the flu, I put the other half in the fridge.

The next day, I proceeded to eat the rest of the sandwich. Intense vomiting. It was as if someone had stomped on my stomach.

I called the restaurant. They said it was likely the guacamole and offered me a free appetizer next time we ate there. But just never could pull into their parking lot again.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Yes at a deli years ago from a tuna sandwich. Never reported it to Dept. of health or told the Deli. I just never ate there again. but it took me 2 years to eat tuna again.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,952,346 times
My sister and brother-in-law claimed to have several times, but I had serious doubts. Why would you go back to the same place after one incident?! Also, just about those times, "stomach flu" was going around. Their symptoms matched those my mother and I had gone through; we hadn't eaten out at any time.

I do know that my mother got ptomaine poisoning when she was in her late teens. She was certain that it was from the orange juice served at a little café. She had to undergo quite a lot of medical treatment because she was rather a frail girl. She said that she's never forgotten the experience, and we're always careful to do away with anything that seems "iffy".

I worked at the city newspaper and heard a couple who worked there claiming to have food poisoning. Again, it was at a time when everyone was coming down with a particularly vicious strain of flu. When I suggested that might have been it, they were certain it was food poisoning! I still have my doubts because of the symptoms.

As for fast food: We simply never had the money to waste on it. So, maybe we've been lucky.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM

396 posts, read 337,661 times
True flu (influenza) is respiratory and viral, sometimes with GI symptoms but most often not. In fact, when people complain of the "stomach flu", most often it's because of something they have ingested that is infected with a bacteria or a parasite, sometimes a GI specific virus. If a lot of people get sick in an area and it cannot be traced back to any specific food source/food handler, contaminated water supply is usually next in the line of suspects.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
We had an extended family dinner at a Teppanyaki restaurant. Everyone who had shrimp developed intense stomach cramps and diarrhea between 30 minutes to 90 minutes after eating. Some didn't make it out of the restaurant before it hit them.

When we called to complain to the restaurant management we were told "Americans sometimes can't eat Japanese style food. Next time no order shrimp." <click>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or