U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 AM

10,466 posts, read 7,549,580 times

Advertisements

Yes, not long ago. Chicken salad from Chick Filet. I went back to work for about an hour and my whole system.... emptied. I left and started for home and had to pull over. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance to come get me off the freeway. The only time it hurt that bad was when I drank the water in the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,420,887 times
Let me just say...I never ordered another McDonald's Filet-o-Fish sandwich since those horrible 36 hours in the '70's...

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,838,333 times
Yes, twice. Once from a local pizzeria (rice ball with meat) and another time from Applebees, I had chicken with pasta. Both AWFUL experiences and I never ate at either place again.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,798,032 times
Yes, twice. Once from beef and once from shrimp. The post-shrimp experience was about the worst illness I've ever had of any type - I couldn't keep water down and was so weak I couldn't make it up stairs; I even had a very difficult time simply getting out of bed. It was at a major chain restaurant about 10 years ago and I have yet to eat at any of their locations again.

I do still eat both shrimp and beef.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,103,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not food poisoning per se... but me and onions DO NOT GET ALONG. And sometimes the tastes in some dishes are so vibrant I miss the onion... and oh, do I get sick.

The last time I had onion rings I was sick for three days. That's when I figured out the onion issue.
That sucks. I can eat onions but only in moderation. I can't eat onion rings. I also think I digest green onions better but I also have to eat them in moderation. I like onions but I don't mind cooking without them.

I got food poisoning after drinking some milkshakes at a local bakery. The bakery probably didn't store the milk properly.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM

93 posts, read 54,745 times
When I was fifteen, my mom, my sister, and I went to an amusement park about 40 miles away. For lunch, we bought pieces of pizza from a stand there. The next morning, all three of us were intensely sick and weak. All we could eat or drink for the next two or three days was the occasional piece of crushed ice. It was awful.

Later, in my late twenties, my sister and I went to a new Chinese buffet and thought it was very good, but a few hours later, we both got violently ill. Silly us; we eventually dismissed the experience as a stomach bug we both caught at the same time and returned to the buffet for a second try. After all, the food certainly did seem fresh and hot! But the same thing happened. We never went back after that.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, both the amusement park and buffet place have since closed down.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:03 PM

484 posts, read 329,976 times
I got E-Coli poisoning from a Golden Corral in Waco Texas a decade ago that has forever altered my ability to enjoy food. I got extremely ill with a temperature of 106 and was in and out of consciousness for several days. I almost died due to extreme dehydration. I am hesitant to even eat buffet food thanks to this experience. I also got a case of food poisoning a few years ago but I wasn't sure of the restaurant it came from as I had ate out for 3 previous meals in a row and any could have been responsible.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,196,602 times
Yes, and so did several of my colleagues (one of whom chose to blog about his experience). The Health Department came out eventually and gave them a "B" rating for several months.

I also got sick every time I ate guacamole at Taste of Chicago - I wanted to think it was a coincidence, but after 3 times, I got the message.

I also got sick from eating fish tacos from Rubios Coastal Grill, immediately ill and nauseous!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,202,580 times
More than a few times. The worst was when I got caught up in the salmonella outbreak of 1989 in England. I had two eggs at the Happy Eater (the UK version of Denny's) and then drove to a town 200 miles away to interview a suspect.

Shortest interview in history. Two minutes into his denial I told him I was deathly ill and the interview was ending in 60 seconds. He could either man up and admit he committed the fraud I'd proven or continue to lie and I'd arrest him for that, too.

He 'fessed up, I reported to his (military commander) boss what he'd done and I went back to my hotel room to resume my close protection assignment on the commode. Spent five more days there before I was well enough to drive back home.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,196,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
More than a few times. The worst was when I got caught up in the salmonella outbreak of 1989 in England...
Nothing will give you "monkey butt" like salmonellosis. I had salmonellosis that kept me in porcelain worship for an entire week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or