U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,286,166 times

Advertisements

Yes. Worst I've had was when I was in India. I got a severe case of Delhi Belly when in Chandigarh after eating at this local fast food restaurant. And it wasn't just me; my entire group got sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM

15,009 posts, read 8,562,829 times
From what I understand, the scary thing about some food poisoning is that once bacteria releases toxins into the food, it doesn't matter how high a temperature you cook it at. You'll still get sick.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 PM

785 posts, read 771,157 times
I had Caesar salad prepared tableside at the original Caesar hotel. We both got very sick. But that was over 30 years ago.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM

17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
From what I understand, the scary thing about some food poisoning is that once bacteria releases toxins into the food, it doesn't matter how high a temperature you cook it at. You'll still get sick.
I haven't heard this,,,,

if cooking steaks,,,, 145 will kill all bacteria

burger 160f will kill all bacteria

pork 145 will kill all bacteria

poultry 165 f will kill all bacteria

ive read that spores are the worst,,,,the toughest to kill

Old 08-07-2015, 05:13 PM

15,009 posts, read 8,562,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I haven't heard this,,,,

if cooking steaks,,,, 145 will kill all bacteria

burger 160f will kill all bacteria

pork 145 will kill all bacteria

poultry 165 f will kill all bacteria

ive read that spores are the worst,,,,the toughest to kill
Yes, but if perishable food is left outside for long time, as an example, the bacteria that grows and multiplies in it starts to release toxins into the food. High cooking temperatures may kill the bacteria, but does nothing to these toxins and waste material. Sometimes it is these toxins and not the bacteria that causes illness so I heard.

Cooking at high temp is not always safe.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,146,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, but if perishable food is left outside for long time, as an example, the bacteria that grows and multiplies in it starts to release toxins into the food. High cooking temperatures may kill the bacteria, but does nothing to these toxins and waste material. Sometimes it is these toxins and not the bacteria that causes illness so I heard.

Cooking at high temp is not always safe.
What? You mean if I cook a rotten fish I'll still get sick?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,506,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What? You mean if I cook a rotten fish I'll still get sick?
Try it and report back - FOR SCIENCE!!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:20 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
its not all doom & gloom some of these toxins are used to treat cancer tumors

Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,146,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its not all doom & gloom some of these toxins are used to treat cancer tumors
...and some are used to get rid of wrinkles.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM

759 posts, read 1,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Just want to point out that true food poisoning takes anywhere from 48 hours to ten days to set in so it is sometimes impossible to find out where it came from.

If you are throwing up right after you ate somewhere, it isn't from their food.

A Primer on Symptoms of Foodborne Illness | Food Safety News
Sir, if you had actually bothered to read the article you linked to, you would have noticed that the incubation periods shown for the Food Borne Illnesses there listed indicate incubation periods as short as 1/2 hour to as long as 3 months!
The following chart might be a little easier to read:
http://www.foodsafe.ca/resources/Foo...ness_Chart.pdf
While it's true that all FBI's have incubation periods, the most common ones seen here have times ranging from 8-48 hours.
Just on a side note, I was dining at one location of a national chain of "diner style" restaurants the other day. The menu stated that due to concerns associated with consuming undercooked meats that they would cook all of their hamburgers to at least medium-well (I like mine rare). No amount of cajoling could convince them to do otherwise, so I decided to opt for breakfast instead. Flipped to the breakfast page and saw, you guessed it, several varieties of "egg specialties" featuring sunny side up eggs! Essentially cooked egg whites, with barely warmed (i.e., raw) yolks. It is to laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or