U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times

Advertisements

I got sick from McDonalds. I had a strawberry sundae and it had some kind of cleaning fluid in it. I only took two bites before I realized something was wrong with it, but it was enough to make me ill for a couple of days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 AM

3,313 posts, read 3,310,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Huh? Yes, S_Guy CAN say he has never gotten sick, because that is past tense. It's only referring to past instances.
This.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM

672 posts, read 582,378 times
It is really hard to prove where illnesses come from, unless there is a confirmed test of the food as being contaminated. A few years ago, there was a fast acting Norvo virus going around right at the holidays, and there was a large party at a local country club. The next day so many people were ill that they all thought that they had food poisoning, but testing of several people confirmed Norvo, which is not food borne.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'd bet the odds of food poisoning at a national fast-food chain are far less than at a mom-and-pop place. Most big-name franchises have strict practices in place and train their employees to observe them. They monitor their food storage and cooking temps, and they've got it down to a science how long to keep food before discarding.
That, and at a lot of fast food places the food is pre-cooked and pre-washed, so it's not as if there's raw chicken lying around. It's more likely if someone gets sick that it's some kind of norovirus/stomach bug going around, or the person didn't wash their hands before eating.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 AM

18 posts, read 21,917 times
I used to regularly was getting sick from Taco Bell - but only when I was in FL (Orlando area). And by regularly, I mean 2-3 times I went there. Not the case for TB a bit farther north.
In TN I got sick after White Castle. Went there once, and it was bad enough for me to not go there again.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM

12,618 posts, read 10,725,246 times
A friend did around '88 or '89 from a Wendy's hamburger.
She admits continuing to eat it when she thought it tasted 'funny'.
There was no doubt it was, indeed, that, btw.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandriele View Post
I used to regularly was getting sick from Taco Bell - but only when I was in FL (Orlando area). And by regularly, I mean 2-3 times I went there. Not the case for TB a bit farther north.
In TN I got sick after White Castle. Went there once, and it was bad enough for me to not go there again.
Was it a meat thing? In Orlando? I went to so many
authentic Mex fast food places when I lived there.

(I get a bean burrito for under a $1 when I'm starving! And need 'something'...not
the meat.)

Old 03-24-2015, 11:05 AM

If I saw kids spray their germs all over a buffet...I must say, I would
report that whole section to the manager.
I'm just that way...makes my friends uneasy...and I tell staff
when there is hair on my plate, whatever...I have no qualms ...
I'm not like other people getting shy to speak up....again, friends cringe.

And I touch all serving spoons with a napkin, never to be touched again.
If you are the first to buffets...it's pretty safe.

You should see a waitress' face when I ask, very matter of factly, if I
could have another fork that
she has not put her thumb on (the prines).

I have reported 3 restaurants to the Health Dept after food poisoning...it
takes them 2 wks to call you back with their findings...I saved a lot of people!
Cuz, they would have continued their practices into eternity!
The restaurants are then taught what they are doing wrong, that's all.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM

21,482 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
It is really hard to prove where illnesses come from, unless there is a confirmed test of the food as being contaminated. A few years ago, there was a fast acting Norvo virus going around right at the holidays, and there was a large party at a local country club. The next day so many people were ill that they all thought that they had food poisoning, but testing of several people confirmed Norvo, which is not food borne.
Norovirus is indeed food borne.

Norovirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food."

"Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person."

Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,383,833 times
I've never gotten sick from restaurant food but I did get sick from fish that was bought at a Lucky Market in LA. This was years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or