U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM

11,831 posts, read 7,711,618 times

Advertisements

You can get sick from anything due to mishandling of the food due to cross contamination. Someone that touches money and then touches your food could be passing over germs and bacteria easily. Salads washed with dirty water and even ice cream machines not cleaned will give you food poisoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 961,945 times
I've only gotten sick once - from a Jack's hamburger. I know it was that because my coworker (who ate the exact same thing when we went to lunch together) got sick as well. Both of us called into work the next day, having no idea that the other was sick until we came back.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM

69,344 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Seeing as fast food is quite a popular subject here in the food and drink section, has anyone ever gotten sick from eating at a fast food place? Sick as in major food poisoning.

I'm knocking on wood, but in all my life I have never gotten sick from eating at any fast food place. I'm talking about national chains like McDonald's, KFC, Jack in the Box, etc. etc. Even certain regional fast food places, I've never gotten sick.
someone did claim a few months ago, they had gotten sick on eating at a fast food restaurant, but I don't remember which one. Of course is it easy to think, if you get sick within a few hours of eating someplace it is bad food. This may or may not be the case and most of us never know where we pick up food poisoning. I am sure there are times when we can be certain where it came from. Let me add, anyplace can serve something that isn't good and usually they have no idea. it might have been bad meat when the got it or beans not refridgerated long enough or beans put away when they are still hot. There are so many ways to get bad food. I would never blame a restaurant or vow never to eat at a place again. Now, to answer your question: yes, I have, but never positive where I picked it up and never bad enough to affect me for more than a day or so.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how many millions of people everyday, go to fast food places, grab the handle of the entrance door to open,,,,then proceeds to eat the food,,

on that handle,,being handled so much ,,surely has flu germs, fecal matter, you name it

then many sit inside at tables, tables that get washed by wet rags that spread germs from one table to another,,,
people have sneezed all over these tables and chairs,,,and again,,fecal matter everywhere,,
and this is all before your food is being served..

I believe the drive thrus are much more hygienic

im no germ a phobe ....but the older I get I notice these lttle things,,

I was at a salad bar the other day ...a mother was there with two young teens and one of the young teens was coughing/hacking all over the offerings , barely covering his mouth,, (below the sneeze guard)

I looked at the mother dropped my plate and walked away ,,,I was going to suggest to teach her kids not to cough on foods,,,but ,,I don't think it would have mattered..
I go back to my booth,,,and watch other adults use that salad bar,,grabbing the offerings the kid coughed all over

think about the millions/billions of meals a week,,,,we eat,,,overall we are actually very lucky,,,,there isn't more sickness

ive got more faith in the foods because of safeguards/sanitation cooking standards in place,, (many places you cant even get a rare burger anymore,,they HAVE to cook it 160 degrees)
and if people get sick,,,it can kill a business

I know the haccp/sanitation strict standards we use in the grocery business,,,its similar in the food business I also look for cerificates of servsafe posted - most places require their personnel to go thru these sanitation food handling safety classes

as someone stated,,,, for some reason I seem to have bad luck with seafood,,
one of the worst was at applebee's a fried haddock sandwich.... but then again,,,it could be a 100 other items,, the protein always gets blamed,,,i did have a salad,,
I totally agree with what you are saying; it isn't always the restaurant but the germs people leave behind. Then we eat at a place, get sick and assume we have food poisoning. I am not a germaphobic either, not by anymeans. I also do not think anyone can actually say one chain is more guilty than another or stay away from one more than another.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Norovirus is indeed food borne.

Norovirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food."

"Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person."
yes, but you are not understanding the responder; what was meant; it doesn't come from spoiled foods. of course it is transmitted often via foods that infected people handle. That is why when there is an outbreak on a cruise ship or resort there are so many added precausions, including the handlers being exceptionally careful. Thus, you can't say it is food borne.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM

672 posts, read 583,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Norovirus is indeed food borne.

Norovirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food."

"Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person."
Ok, what I more correctly meant to say is that a person can get ill from another person without any food being involved. In other words, just because you eat something and then start puking a number of hours later doesn't mean that the food that you ate is the cause of the puking.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,646,107 times
After eating at KFC. I will never eat there again. Spend a miserable night on the bathroom floor. UGH.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM

21,522 posts, read 26,139,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, but you are not understanding the responder; what was meant; it doesn't come from spoiled foods. of course it is transmitted often via foods that infected people handle. That is why when there is an outbreak on a cruise ship or resort there are so many added precausions, including the handlers being exceptionally careful. Thus, you can't say it is food borne.
It is still considered foodborne.

Food Safety for Moms-to-Be: Medical Professionals - Foodborne Pathogens

Norovirus (Norwalk-like Virus)

Basics: A virus that's becoming a health threat. It may account for a large percent of non-bacterial foodborne illnesses.

Sources: Raw oysters, shellfish, cole slaw, salads, baked goods, frosting, contaminated water, and ice. It can also spread via person-to-person.

Symptoms: Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, headache, and fever.

Incubation: 24 to 48 hours after ingestion, but can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Duration: 1 to 3 days

Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,994,344 times
OMG! I have had food poisoning one from fast food and I have to tell you, I would NEVER eat there again even all these years later. It was THAT bad!

Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,365,333 times
I've never had food poisoning of any kind as far as I know. I've been ill and vomited, of course, but it was never traced to any particular food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Ok, what I more correctly meant to say is that a person can get ill from another person without any food being involved. In other words, just because you eat something and then start puking a number of hours later doesn't mean that the food that you ate is the cause of the puking.
Yes, I think this often happens. A virus is passed around from person to person, but then each person tends to blame it on whatever they ate last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or