U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:31 PM

8,305 posts, read 8,577,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Seeing as fast food is quite a popular subject here in the food and drink section, has anyone ever gotten sick from eating at a fast food place? Sick as in major food poisoning.

I'm knocking on wood, but in all my life I have never gotten sick from eating at any fast food place. I'm talking about national chains like McDonald's, KFC, Jack in the Box, etc. etc. Even certain regional fast food places, I've never gotten sick.
Two incidents:

The first time was years ago. I was passing through Pocatello, Idaho on my way home from South Dakota and we stopped at a Burger King. My suspicion is that I got salmonella from mayo on a cheeseburger that I ate.

It was awful. I had nausea and vomiting plenty of times in the past, but this was the first time I remember dry heaves. I was about four or five days recovering. I still remember the ache I had. My wife recounts that all I wanted to do for hours was sit in a chair on the back lawn in the sun. I think it gave me the chills.

I did nothing about it. I wonder if others got sick that day.

The second incident involved a local barbeque restaurant, named "Bubba's". They apparently served a bunch of salmonella contaminated chicken to patrons. I was lucky. I just got minor stomachache and diarrhea. Several patrons ended up as inpatients at the local hospital. One was at least briefly described as being in critical condition. I reported my incident to the local health department.

The barbeque went out of business within two months.

Food poisoning is rare because of the health regulations that restaurants must comply with, but it does happen. There are even a few cases where people die.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-24-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,993,226 times
KFC early 90's. Took over a decade for me to be able to try their food again. So painful. Worst stomach pain I've ever had.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,178,649 times
Yes. 14 years ago when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I ate a "bad" chicken sandwich at Wendy's. I remember at the time thinking the chicken was dry and chewy, but just chalked it up to it not being as "fresh" as it could be.

I was sooooooooooooooo sick. I started throwing up 12 hours later. For one week I did nothing but throw up and have the worst diarrhea of my life. I had to be rehydrated twice by IV at the emergency room. I lost 10 lbs.

Ever since, I am SUPER afraid of getting food poisoning. If anything looks remotely sketchy, I won't eat it. I am also phobic of eating poultry at restaurants. A traumatizing experience for sure.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,991,637 times
Maybe it was the "stomach virus", but on a July night in 2008 I went to bed rather fine, a few minutes later I started to get a bit nauseous. Flash-forward 1 hour I was severely nauseated. I tried hard holding myself from puking (in which it worked). The next day I was very ill (body aches, fever, chills). Worst days of my life.

I remember eating sour cream & bread before bed, but I just don't think it was food poisoning? It's so mysterious, came out of nowhere and randomly. It was the "MH370" of my life. I just want to know WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED to me (and HOW it happened). Doctors said it was H. Pylori, though. Now I'm dying to avoid any illnesses that is stomach related.

To answer the question shortly, no, I have never walked out from a restaurant (or any eateries) and felt sick. Let's hope it would never happen. But then again, I rarely eat out. And I would hope that those who do get food poisoning frequently eat at food chains and restaurants.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Yes, one time I ate a McDonald's Big Mac. By the next day, I was vomiting and making many trips to the toilet. This lasted for 3 days. High fever, nausea and chills. I had so many blankets piled on my bed I could hardly move, but I was still cold. I was so sick I fainted at the bathroom door and woke up on the floor.

I guess I was lucky that I hadn't eaten two Big Macs, or I would likely have ended up in the hospital.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM

8,142 posts, read 5,998,122 times
This is the thing, and someone touched on this before.. Actually getting sick from the food.. Meaning listeria, salmonella, e-coli, etc.. Is actually pretty rare nowadays.

This is NOT to say that you're wrong in that "Eating at xxxx made me sick"

Often, it's not the food itself that is the problem, but is the employee who is sick that is handling your food.. Or the door handle that you grabbed on the way in.. Or the table you sat at that had a wet rag run across it (with no bleach) before you sat down..

Most true illnesses that are e.coli or whatever.. You wind up going to a doctor they're so bad, and they get tracked back to the source. Remember the.. What was the mexican restaurant? Chi-Chi's? Jack in the Box.. Once an outbreak gets widespread, it's tracked back to the source.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 AM

917 posts, read 968,396 times
I got sick from Rudy’s BBQ twice!!! I tried it once about 4 years ago and me and my mom both got sick. Last year, I got a breakfast burrito from them (and this was from another Rudy’s) I got sick again! I had to leave work early. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me but I did feel awful

Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM

6,494 posts, read 2,236,855 times
On a warm day many years ago I walked by a yogurt place - the kind where you can get yogurt from a self-serve machine and then serve yourself some toppings. I had eaten at this yogurt place before, and was just coming in and getting a cup myself when I saw a teenage boy double-dipping his spoon on the toppings and giggling, acting clownish trying to make these girls laugh. It was pretty disgusting and the attendants were busy ringing the register so no one was watching. I just walked out and I never did go back to this establishment. Self-serve is a great idea for convenience but it isn't as sanitary as one would like.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 PM

31,161 posts, read 57,274,608 times
It's impossible to say definitively if I've ever been sick from food or not. Without any kind of testing on the actual food you've eaten, how could you know for certain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im no germ a phobe
LOL, are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Norovirus is indeed food borne.
That's like saying a cold is foodborne because a food prep worker with a cold passed on the virus while assembling your salad, and you picked up the virus from eating the salad.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM

950 posts, read 669,699 times
I have gotten the flu a few times in my life.

Many times I have blamed it on something I ate before because after vomiting, the food is engrained in my mind as being the cause.

Food poisoning?

Nope..............old fashioned stomach flu but my mind blames it on the last food I ate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or