U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,565,728 times

Advertisements

My daughter did at a brunch buffet. She was 5 or 6. My sister in law and her 4 year old daughter were with us. Her daughter threw up later in the afternoon, mine did not. By 10-ish that night she was sick to her stomach, and from there on it went downhill. She actually got so dehydrated I took her to the ER at 10:00 at night in a snowstorm. She was sick for over a week.
The ER is who asked where we ate, and reported it. I never heard if or what ever happened to the restaurant. I asked the doc why the two girls got sick and the adults didn't. They said either we just have a stronger constitution, or that only the corner of the scrambled eggs they got were bad, and we took out of the other side of it or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,136,536 times
It's happened to me twice. One was at a food stall at the Lexington Market in Baltimore. A few hours after eating, I was so sick that I was vomiting. But I had just started my new job at that time, so I reported to work the next day instead of calling out sick.

The other time was at a pizza place on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. Nothing happened to the people I was with, but I had ordered something different (I don't remember what) and it hit me that night. Next morning, I was so bad off that I had to go to the emergency clinic and get put on an IV.

This was almost 20 years ago, and it hasn't happened since . . . knock on wood.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM

11,372 posts, read 7,412,439 times
Yep.
Truck stop. Maryland. 5 hours later I was spewing from both ends. Finally got the 18 wheeler parked and took a cab to the hospital in Bristol, VA/TN.
They acted like I had Ebola! And they could not get me to keep from throwing up. I.V. Fluids. 12 hours, I finally went to sleep. Actually made it back home before the diarrhea set in, big time.
3 days later I was back at work.

When I told the truck stop manager a few weeks later, she went white! She was truly concerned and embarrassed.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM

35,819 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Nope, never. I've never gotten food poisoning from anywhere, though.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:18 AM

40,984 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, I never have, and as a matter of fact the foods that people "won't touch" because they might get food poisoning are usually not the culprits. It's almost never the mayonnaise; much more likely to be the green salad.
Yep. I got food poisoning from a Dairy Queen hamburger once and was very surprised when the doctor told me it was from the lettuce, not the meat.

I was in the hospital for three days and have never been more miserable in my life! But hey, I lost weight!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM

4,940 posts, read 4,646,736 times
From what I think was slightly undercooked catfish from a restaurant in Texarkana. Woke up at midnight, clearing GI tract from both ends. Finally started feeling human again about 6:00 PM.

I had the catfish there a couple of days before with no problem. Had it again a couple of years later, again with no problem. I guess they just didn't leave it in the fryer quite long enough that one time.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM

7,589 posts, read 10,395,987 times
Twice, once from my college dorm and once from fish bought at Lucky. Never from a restaurant.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM

13,570 posts, read 16,078,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
Suspected yes, but nothing ever formally confirmed by the health department. It has only happened a couple of times.
+1
While I have never gotten seriously ill from restaurant food, I have had really bad gastrointestinal distress on four occasions that I can recall.

When it happened the first time immediately after eating at a neighborhood Chinese resto, I didn't think much about it. When it happened the second time after eating at that same place (with the same really weird-smelling diarrhea ), I put that place on my never again list.

Similarly, there is an Indonesian restaurant at which I have eaten on two occasions, and I got sick both times, so that one is also on my never again list.

However, I do eat out a lot, so I guess that only 4 incidents in 67 years isn't too bad!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM

12,667 posts, read 10,746,745 times
I have heard of salad once from Il Vicino in CO, once...but now I'm very concerned!

Please always look up the Health Dept...even a suspicion will help another
person...and they learn how to never to it again.

Sure, it could have been a stomach virus...but in your heart I think you know...
and they will find out.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,558,563 times
Quote:
Ever had food poisoning from a restaurant?
Yes. In 2000 from a Chinese Buffet. The day after eating there, I had to excuse myself in the middle of a workday, feeling extremely unwell all of a sudden. On my way out, I couldn't control it, I vomited in the elevator! I was bedridden for a few days, had to crawl to the bathroom, couldn't walk...and finally one day I felt life slipping away and I called a friend for help (which is something I NEVER do,,so this was serious.) she took me to the ER, I was admitted and spent a week in the hospital, rejuvenated with IV saline drips 24/7. No food for a week. Several tests were done.

Turned out that I had survived the cytomegalovirus. Apparently it's a vicious cold-like virus that most people get at some point in their lives, and it hits some people harder than others. If I hadn't gotten medical attention I would have died.

Edit: just read up on CMV. Doctors told me CMV was the cause for my illness, but based on what I just read, CMV has no symptoms. I definitely had a wicked case of food poisoning. The doctors failed to pinpoint it, but found I tested positive for CMV, so that's what they wrote down.

Tangent: I wish I had died then. It was a pivotal time in my life when I was on top of the world, but things went downhill fast after that, and I've been suffering ever since. God was offering me a way out. I wish I hadn't called my friend.

Last edited by Zelpha; 07-30-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or