U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times

Advertisements

I thought that I had food poisoning last year after eating a supermarket salad. I had never been so sick in my life.

I went into the internist who placed me on IV fluids - three liters of fluids over four hours for dehydration. However, he made it clear that I did NOT have food poisoning but a bad stomach flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
Salad greens yes. Perhaps I should have clarified those certain 'won't touch' foods instead of leaving it up to assumption. I love fresh spinach but almost afraid to eat it these days. Same for sprouts, some berries and other fresh fruits. So if I see them on a buffet, won't partake. It's not necessarily mayonnaise products, but potato salad or other mayonnaise based foods stored in a deep bowl out in the hot sun is something that generally should be avoided.
Just to clarfy something< most of the stomach problems we might get from greens is not food poisoning but caused by the preservatives used on the greens. That is very different from actual food poinoning. As for the Ops question, she is referring to a restaurant, I doubt most restaurants leave thier potato salad out in the sun. You are right, many items, especially made with mayo needs to be kept cold. The same with anything with chicken.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 6,221 times
I had food poisoning but in a weird way. It was obvious the next day that something was wrong with the food, then several days afterward it was ok and then when I went to absolutely different restaurant it became worse. So I think that it is important and almost impossible to track the very first place where you got food poisoning.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:41 PM

6,951 posts, read 8,878,222 times
I got a case of food poisoning from a restaurant where I picked up lunch -- just about this time 3 years ago. It was lovely.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
I think it is very hard to know for sure. Was it actually food poisoning or maybe caused by the sulfides (spelling) used to preserve some foods. Also could it be noro virus? There is almost no sure way of knowing. Years ago, everytime I went to a restaurant and had bar b cue sause I got sick withing about an hour. The same with some salad bars. I actually think it was sulfides in all the cases.

The only time I was sure I got food poisoning was from my moms potato salad. She wasn't alwayst the best at preserving things. It was the night before my 12th bd party and I almost had to cancel. I was sick all night. Actually no one else in the family got sick, so I am sure it was a very fast moving bug. It took me about 20 years before I could eat and enjoy potato salad again.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:59 PM

396 posts, read 337,661 times
Quote:
Just to clarfy something< most of the stomach problems we might get from greens is not food poisoning but caused by the preservatives used on the greens. That is very different from actual food poinoning. As for the Ops question, she is referring to a restaurant, I doubt most restaurants leave thier potato salad out in the sun. You are right, many items, especially made with mayo needs to be kept cold. The same with anything with chicken.
Sprouts
Spinach

Not preservatives, salmonella and/or e-coli contamination during growth. Those are just two instances, there have been many more.

Edit: The potato salad comment was in response to another poster's comment.

Last edited by LarkBea; 07-30-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,080,802 times
I almost died after I ate chicken fingers from Marie Callendars. I lost like 10 or 15 pounds in 6 hours if I remember correctly (it was nearly 10 years ago) and spent the night in the emergency room hooked up to an IV getting rehydrated. My digestive tract has never been the same since.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM

4,931 posts, read 3,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Tangent: I wish I had died then. It was a pivotal time in my life when I was on top of the world, but things went downhill fast after that, and I've been suffering ever since. God was offering me a way out. I wish I hadn't called my friend.
If you've been on the top of the world before, nothing says you can't get back up there again. Maybe God wants to show you how things are down at the bottom, so that you'll appreciate it all the more when you climb back up again.

Sorry, everyone, for the off-topic.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,446,163 times
could be something as simple as improper hand washing (by you or those who prepared your food...That is how norovirus is spread...

Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I almost died after I ate chicken fingers from Marie Callendars. I lost like 10 or 15 pounds in 6 hours if I remember correctly (it was nearly 10 years ago) and spent the night in the emergency room hooked up to an IV getting rehydrated. My digestive tract has never been the same since.
It makes absolutely no sense that your digestive tract would be damaged and not properly functional ten years after eating improperly handled chicken fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or