Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 AM

47,892 posts, read 21,899,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
A bag of Pepperidge Farm?
Pepperidge Farm stuffing....of course you can make your own bread stuffing...but for fast and easy I use the seasoned stuffing they sell packaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
How about "Eggs and Soldiers?" Soft-boiled eggs with buttered toast strips and/or buttered bread strips for dipping in the runny yolk. My mother has always called them "Dippy Inny."
Ah yes......a childhood favorite of mine. We called the toast...."lady fingers".

Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 AM

Cambric Tea: When we were kids, Grammy would let us have Cambric Tea in the winter. It is hot water, sugar and milk with perhaps a teaspoon of tea, served from a tea pot in tea cups. We felt so special and grown up.

Johnny Marzetti: We lived for awhile in Cincinnati when I was growing up....Johnny Marzetti is a casserole dish with scrambled hamburg, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce and macaroni....and lots of cheese. It is an Ohio version of American chop suey or goulash. It is like that combined with lasagna.
(~Ohio Thoughts~: Johnny Marzetti Recipe and History)

Yum Yum: was another favorite Ohio casserole. These were often served up at pot luck suppers and every family had a different variation. http://www.penzeys.com/heth/r2.html Similar to a casserole called Honky Tonk from Maine.

Coney Islands: In Cincy....a Coney Island is a hot dog in a roll with Cincinnati style chili and onions, perhaps spicy brown mustard too .

Porcupines: not the spiny animal...but meat balls made with raw rice. As they cook in tomato sauce...the rice swells and studs the meatballs giving (with some imagination) the appearance of quills....hence : porcupines.

Last edited by elston; 04-29-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Blushing Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Welsh Rarebit (Rabbit) - basically cheese sauce on toast. The recipes for the cheese sauce vary from simple nacho cheese sauce to a beer cheese sauce. A lot of folks wonder why it's called "Welsh Rabbit" on some menus - it's from the pronunciation of "rarebit" as "rabbit."

I love the stuff, as well as "Beans on toast" and "Egg on toast."
We ate this a lot growing up....served on saltines.....

"Blushing Bunny" was a Welsh Rarebit made with a can of Cream of Tomato Soup and melted cheese.

If I remember correctly, Dad used to season both versions with Worcestershire Sauce and Coleman's Dry Mustard.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
A couple from Newfoundland
Figgy Duff
Figgy Duff - Rock Recipes -The Best Food & Photos from my St. John's, Newfoundland Kitchen.

And Jiggs dinner
Newfoundland Jigg's Dinner Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,215,418 times
Those crazy Brits: Bubble and Squeak... Spotted Dick?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,575,229 times
I grew up on grandma's goulash! Also "jackpot casserole": hamburger, crushed tomatoes, onions, elbow macaroni, and corn.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We ate this a lot growing up....served on saltines.....

"Blushing Bunny" was a Welsh Rarebit made with a can of Cream of Tomato Soup and melted cheese.

If I remember correctly, Dad used to season both versions with Worcestershire Sauce and Coleman's Dry Mustard.
Mom made Welsh Rarebit with a can of undiluted Campbell's cheddar cheese soup on whole wheat toast, topped with diced fresh tomatoes.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Cambric Tea: When we were kids, Grammy would let us have Cambric Tea in the winter. It is hot water, sugar and milk with perhaps a teaspoon of tea, served from a tea pot in tea cups. We felt so special and grown up.

Johnny Marzetti: We lived for awhile in Cincinnati when I was growing up....Johnny Marzetti is a casserole dish with scrambled hamburg, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce and macaroni....and lots of cheese. It is an Ohio version of American chop suey or goulash. It is like that combined with lasagna.
(~Ohio Thoughts~: Johnny Marzetti Recipe and History)

Yum Yum: was another favorite Ohio casserole. These were often served up at pot luck suppers and every family had a different variation. Yum-Yum-Old-Fashioned Hamburger Casserole Recipe - Penzeys One Magazine Similar to a casserole called Honky Tonk from Maine.

Coney Islands: In Cincy....a Coney Island is a hot dog in a roll with Cincinnati style chili and onions, perhaps spicy brown mustard too .

Porcupines: not the spiny animal...but meat balls made with raw rice. As they cook in tomato sauce...the rice swells and studs the meatballs giving (with some imagination) the appearance of quills....hence : porcupines.
I grew up in Ohio and our school served Johnny Marzetti, Coney Islands and Pocupines for lunch. And Buckeyes for dessert.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,740,811 times
S.O.S
Sh*t on a shingle

My mom loved to make this for dinner frequently. It's dried cured beef strips in a white gravy served over toast cut on the diagonal. The beef strips that comes in a glass jar is what I remembered.

I don't remember it fondly but I do pay homage to that fish by making a tenderloin tips in bearnaise sauce in puff pastry cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink