Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
S.O.S
Sh*t on a shingle

My mom loved to make this for dinner frequently. It's dried cured beef strips in a white gravy served over toast cut on the diagonal. The beef strips that comes in a glass jar is what I remembered. .

There are a lot of military people who would take exception to that as I found out while running a cafeteria in a hospital adjacent to a military base.

Army cooks would make it with ground beef or beef scraps. It was a way of using up leftover meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a lot of military people who would take exception to that as I found out while running a cafeteria in a hospital adjacent to a military base.

Army cooks would make it with ground beef or beef scraps. It was a way of using up leftover meats.
Shrugs, never said it was authentic. Just how she made it.

ETA: I googled it just now and apparently they used chipped beef in the early 1900's. Nowadays it's as you said. I have to ask my mom why she always used the glass jar stuff.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
A hamburger doesn't have ham in it and it's not from Hamburg, either.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
S.O.S. is pretty good with dried beef. Especially if you put lots of onions in the white sauce. I like to put peas in too.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
...Porcupines: not the spiny animal...but meat balls made with raw rice. As they cook in tomato sauce...the rice swells and studs the meatballs giving (with some imagination) the appearance of quills....hence : porcupines.
Those used to be served in high schools here in Dixie.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Cambric Tea: When we were kids, Grammy would let us have Cambric Tea in the winter. It is hot water, sugar and milk with perhaps a teaspoon of tea, served from a tea pot in tea cups. We felt so special and grown up.

Johnny Marzetti: We lived for awhile in Cincinnati when I was growing up....Johnny Marzetti is a casserole dish with scrambled hamburg, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce and macaroni....and lots of cheese. It is an Ohio version of American chop suey or goulash. It is like that combined with lasagna.
(~Ohio Thoughts~: Johnny Marzetti Recipe and History)

Yum Yum: was another favorite Ohio casserole. These were often served up at pot luck suppers and every family had a different variation. Yum-Yum-Old-Fashioned Hamburger Casserole Recipe - Penzeys One Magazine Similar to a casserole called Honky Tonk from Maine.

Coney Islands: In Cincy....a Coney Island is a hot dog in a roll with Cincinnati style chili and onions, perhaps spicy brown mustard too .

Porcupines: not the spiny animal...but meat balls made with raw rice. As they cook in tomato sauce...the rice swells and studs the meatballs giving (with some imagination) the appearance of quills....hence : porcupines.
I'm originally from Cincinnati, and aside from coneys have never heard of any of these. Maybe this is an East side/West side thing.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Pigs in Blankets -- usually L'il Smokies sausages wrapped in Pillsbury biscuit dough, but I've seen it with hot dogs and breakfast sausage links too. My favorite interpretation is a strip of bacon with pancake batter poured over it.

Sommerset Rarebit -- shredded tart apple on toast covered with cheese sauce

Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
S.O.S
Sh*t on a shingle

My mom loved to make this for dinner frequently. It's dried cured beef strips in a white gravy served over toast cut on the diagonal. The beef strips that comes in a glass jar is what I remembered.

I don't remember it fondly but I do pay homage to that fish by making a tenderloin tips in bearnaise sauce in puff pastry cups.
yup, you stole my answer, best budget meal! You had to soak the beef to get the salt out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
A hamburger doesn't have ham in it and it's not from Hamburg, either.
Supposedly they originated in Hamburg, NY, hence the name.

Anyone got the info on deviled eggs? Are they satanic ?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
S.O.S. is pretty good with dried beef. Especially if you put lots of onions in the white sauce. I like to put peas in too.
Minus the peas, if my mom made it like that, I might have liked it better! But hers was plain white sauce over just the jarred beef slices.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Fish eyes and glue is what my mom calls Tapioca pudding..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink