U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,533,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
If you want to avoid vegetable oils, you could very easily clarify butter. It's not flavorless but I like it. I read a book called "fat" that pretty much demonized all vegetable oils for being unstable and having potentially harmful effects on your health ( though that has to be true of a lot of things) and the book is full of recipes on cooking with animal fat
If you are talking about the McLagan authored book, I didn't think she demonized it at all. She simply said that its use is out of balance and I tend to agree. The modern world has a tendancy to use sketchy evidence as a means to say, "Hey! Consumer! Buy this! That other stuff will kill you!!!" Most of the time, it turns out to be false or, at best, marginally accurate -- just like the new 'evidence' against canola oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If you are talking about the McLagan authored book, I didn't think she demonized it at all. She simply said that its use is out of balance and I tend to agree. The modern world has a tendancy to use sketchy evidence as a means to say, "Hey! Consumer! Buy this! That other stuff will kill you!!!" Most of the time, it turns out to be false or, at best, marginally accurate -- just like the new 'evidence' against canola oil.
If you just avoid everything that is bad for you, you can live forever. It's true. I read it on the internet.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 PM

4,642 posts, read 5,427,804 times
Bear grease

It actually works really well, harvesting it from the bear can be tricky, so usually I use bacon grease or lard for frying.

I know, I know, I just sent a bunch of folks into cardiac arrest, but animal fats are easilly assumable and don't contan a lot of the polyunsaturated fats that cause problems.
My father in law used to swear by vegetable oil, wouldn't use anything else, died of heart problems and cholesterol.
I just had bloodwork done and my cholesterol is exactly where it should be, blood pressure and heart rate says I'm an athelete
(Don't you believe it! But I do a lot of manual labor, so that may figure in).

I also live in a climate where it is arctic conditions for most of the year, an old Indian told me that you need to eat fat to keep warm. Seems to work for me anyway.

A dab of bacon grease, a well seasoned cast iron skillet, works just fine.

Olive oil is fine for salads and such, but I don't like the way it tastes when heated.

Personal preferences.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you just avoid everything that is bad for you, you can live forever. It's true. I read it on the internet.
I agree. And, it is widely known that oxygen is a primary component in cellular oxidative stress. It seems imperative that some people should start with the complete removal of all oxygen from their presence.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times
Sesame oil, coconut oil. There is nothing new about the bad rap with canola oil -- it has been known for years.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Sesame oil, coconut oil. There is nothing new about the bad rap with canola oil -- it has been known for years.
All that has been "known for years" is that there are a lot of people who use the internet to sensationalize things in order to push an agenda. There is no hard evidence that canola oil is really any worse than other processed oil.

snopes.com: Canola Oil and Rape Seed

http://www.naturaleater.com/Canola_Calumny_Debunked.htm

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I agree. And, it is widely known that oxygen is a primary component in cellular oxidative stress. It seems imperative that some people should start with the complete removal of all oxygen from their presence.
When one thinks about it living is very hazardous to your health. to have absolutely stable health one should be dead, freeze dried, frozen to near zero and stored in a vacuum.

Or we could live dangerously and occasionally eat something we enjoy and not worry about it.

Moderation in all things seems to work reasonably well.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,639,022 times
I use butter and grape seed oil but you can't feed your dogs anything that's been cooked in it (grapes are poisonous to them) For deep frying I use Crisco (2-3 times a year for beer battered Walleye, yummy!)

Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,402,988 times
snopes.com: Canola Oil and Rape Seed

Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Is this the latest thing that "Dr. Oz" is saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or