U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

642 posts, read 908,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have been using cottonseed oil for the occasional frying.
Just so you know, cottonseed oil is a particularly harmful genetically modified food (GMO).

The food industry often uses it in mixed nuts/roasted nuts plus snack foods of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Finally, it's going public. After years of moms noticing how easily their kids bruise was just the tip of the iceberg. WTG all. Olive oil here. I don't deep fry, but when I did it was Crisco.
Of course Crisco is/was hydrogenated... there's a story there. In the 1920s, Procter and Gamble wanted to find a way to turn a dirt cheap liquid oil at room temperature into a solid at room temperature for FOOD. Hydrogenation was already being used in the candle and cosmetic industry to do the same so they thought why not use this industrial process to create food! When it came time to market it, they would go around doing demos and offer to give away vats of Crisco for free. However, the farm wives turned up their noses to it. The medical community also came out against it. This was in the 1920s when the medical community still really understood the connection between food and health and didn't prescribe a pill for everything. This went on for while but then the depression hit and people were desperate to they finally started accepting the free samples and it was far cheaper than lard. WW2 and the rationing of real butter also contributed to the creation of margarine using hydrogenation to turn dirt cheap oil into a solid.

Interestingly, when the world suddenly became aware of how bad eating hydrogenated oils were (they tear up cell membranes and contribute to type 2 diabetes, etc), Procter and Gamble started looking to sell off Crisco!

If you really search the net, you can find a marketing booklet they put out in the 1920s touting the "health benefits" of Crisco, totally unsubstantiated of course... I think it is called "The Story of Crisco" or something like that.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 PM

11,048 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Sesame oil, coconut oil. There is nothing new about the bad rap with canola oil -- it has been known for years.
There is no recorded instance of canola oil having an adverse health effect on a human being. For that matter, there is no recorded instance of GMO food having an adverse health effect on a human being. It is just FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) being spread by Frankenfoodies.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is no recorded instance of canola oil having an adverse health effect on a human being. For that matter, there is no recorded instance of GMO food having an adverse health effect on a human being. It is just FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) being spread by Frankenfoodies.
With all due respect, this isn't true.

Peer reviewed academic research IS severely limited by the following facts:

Monsanto and other biotech companies that own the patent on GMO foods threaten patent infringement lawsuits against any academic person and their respective university or any other entity that attempts to do a scientific study to use. Some scientists have lost their jobs because of this. It is crazy! In my opinion, these companies should not be allowed to patent a seed/food. Further, biotech executives, lawyers, and lobbyists hold the highest positions at the FDA. Perhaps even more important is the billions of marketing dollars to biotech companies spend on defrauding and confusing consumers about GMOs.

However, there is overwhelming epidemiological evidence that prove the harm of GMOs on human health.

Plus, there are rigorous academic studies, mostly from Europe, that show the severe effects of consuming GMOs.

GMOs will hurt you far more than fat (in fact, some fats are good for you), fried foods, bread, and sugar all combined, assuming a reasonable amount of moderation.

What we should all be focused on is repealing the very idea that a corporation or individual can own a patent on food and prevent academic research because of it.

Proud Anti-Frankenfoodie

Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,254,415 times
I use coconut or olive oil.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 AM

553 posts, read 738,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have used Canola oil for 4 years or so and I was just waiting for the bad rap to begin. So now I am hearing one bad thing after another about using Canola oil. At first it was touted as the best thing that came along in a long time. But if the bad stuff is true about using Canola oil then what alternative is there. They say that olive oil isn't really good for cooking but is good for adding to salads etc. Vegetable oil is supposedly too processed to be good for ones health. Then there is good ol' butter. Maybe that's the answer, the thing to use. What about lard? Any suggestions?
Not a member of this group - just noticed in posting something concerning cooking oil in another group this side post. For what it's worth, most often I use olive oil and real butter. For Tex-Mex I use, what the Mexican markets call, chuletas, (fresh pork skin) which I render for the fat. In deep frying I used "Butternut Squash" seed oil. I liked it so well I grew squash and bought a small press for my own use. Nothing, imo, beats fresh gulf shrimp deep fried in butternut squash oil. I say "used" only because I'm too old to go to the work so I use grape seed oil now.

I'm 70 and still kicking . . .what's more, I enjoyed the hell out of my life. I've made my own mascarpone cheese. . .for lasagna, it's simple, heavy cream and vinegar with a little technique. I still buy fresh whole milk and butter, not forgetting the heavy cream to make my own, and better, If you have the room it's easy to grow butternut squash. It's surprising how much oil the seed release cold pressed.

Rust

Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM

5,469 posts, read 5,776,703 times
Normally I use grapeseed oil as it is fairly neutral. I read that olive oil tends to burn off its nutritive qualities when reaching a certain temp, plus it can have a strong flavor that seems to clash with a lot of foods. So I mostly use it for salads and sometimes with pasta, bread, etc. (when I do eat those kinds of carbs). Same with coconut oil though I've found it compliments other flavors a little better and doesn't burn off its nutrients like olive oil.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,826,585 times
I use olive oil, avocado oil or butter depending on the context.

In any case, it's important to use the appropriate oil for the appropriate heat.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM

277 posts, read 232,473 times
I use canola oil for frying. I'd like to try peanut oil, but at double the cost, no way.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When one thinks about it living is very hazardous to your health. to have absolutely stable health one should be dead, freeze dried, frozen to near zero and stored in a vacuum.

Or we could live dangerously and occasionally eat something we enjoy and not worry about it.

Moderation in all things seems to work reasonably well.
Yes, but the promotion of moderation is so mundane. I want a crisis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or